This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skipper5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been posted about many times, but I wanted to get updated info since I understand things have changed over the years.

Here's my situation:
I'm a Canadian who will be attending RCSI for the GEM (4-year) program in September. I'm going to be 22. I'm more on the quiet/studious side but I still like to be social and have fun here and there. I'm not opposed to living with younger students in the 5 and 6 year programs, but I would ideally like to meet other GEM people. I would prefer having my own room and washroom. Cost is a factor, but I would be willing to pay more for comfort/a better experience.

Here are some questions:
1. I've read that in first year, the GEM courses are all held at facilities away from downtown, is that true?
2. There are two on-campus RCSI residence buildings, Mercer and Millan, but are those available to GEM students?
3. If Mercer and Millan are open to GEM, do they tend to have a good amount of GEM students in first year living there?
4. Out of Mercer Millan, which is better? I hear Mercer but it seems to be a personal preference thing?
5. Based on the info I gave, do you have any recommendations/advice?

Thanks a lot if you take the time to answer! A few years down the line, I'll be sure to pass along info to the next new batch of students :)

Members don't see this ad.

You should post this question in the current forum

~Mnski~

I know this has been posted about many times, but I wanted to get updated info since I understand things have changed over the years.

Here's my situation:
I'm a Canadian who will be attending RCSI for the GEM (4-year) program in September. I'm going to be 22. I'm more on the quiet/studious side but I still like to be social and have fun here and there. I'm not opposed to living with younger students in the 5 and 6 year programs, but I would ideally like to meet other GEM people. I would prefer having my own room and washroom. Cost is a factor, but I would be willing to pay more for comfort/a better experience.

Here are some questions:
1. I've read that in first year, the GEM courses are all held at facilities away from downtown, is that true?
2. There are two on-campus RCSI residence buildings, Mercer and Millan, but are those available to GEM students?
3. If Mercer and Millan are open to GEM, do they tend to have a good amount of GEM students in first year living there?
4. Out of Mercer Millan, which is better? I hear Mercer but it seems to be a personal preference thing?
5. Based on the info I gave, do you have any recommendations/advice?

Thanks a lot if you take the time to answer! A few years down the line, I'll be sure to pass along info to the next new batch of students :)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hey! Congrats on getting accepted! I am an RCSI GEM 2017 applicant myself though I'm from Ireland. We don't receive confirmation on acceptance/rejection until between August 3rd-5th so there is still a bit of a wait to be had on my part but I'm pretty hopeful as it stands right now.

I unfortunately can't answer many of your questions but I'll give it a shot:
1. Apparently a lot of the teaching for first year GEM's is done in the Reservoir House in Sandyford (Reservoir House, Sandyford - Royal College Surgeons in Ireland). Sandyford is an area in the south of Dublin City.
2 & 3. As far as I am aware they are available to GEM's but are most popular among the first time undergrads.
4. NA
5. NA

I hope that helped in some way though no doubt you've figured a lot of stuff out since this thread was posted. If you're interested in sharing accommodation give me a shout, I haven't done much house hunting yet myself but I'd love to live with some fellow GEMs if possible!