RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
IMG_1623.JPG

Reactions: 13 users
my friend is referring to her as my pocket panther. I brought her to work today and she has no fear. It's great. I forgot what it's like to have a little one around

Reactions: 2 users
All these pics of black kittens is weakening my control to adopt another black cat! (I already have 3 black beauties) All of the kitten pics are all so adorable but I guess I will have to live vicariously through you guys.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
working on notes between patients when suddenly i feel tiny pinpricks in my legs and see a tiny kitten face staring up at me determinedly. shes now dreaming kitten dreams on my chest

Reactions: 11 users
looks like melanosis. It's not velvety. (not medical advice, still get it checked)
Yeah, I showed it to my friend who is a vet opthomologiat and she said I should bring him in for a full exam in a few weeks. It seemed to pop up suddenly which has her concerned. At minimum it should be monitored. This same cat is also now deaf, and a super wonderful cat, so I'll do whatever is deemed necessary for him. I'm not super worried at the moment, but of course I'd like an expert's opinion.

Took about 24 hours from listing my car to signing over the title. Mixed feelings about it - going to miss my car and the freedom that comes with having a car, but now I don't have to worry about taking it to Chicago with me. Now if only the pesky motorcycles would sell...

Reactions: 1 users
Think I found a place to live. It's more than I'd ideally like to pay and the hallways have super tacky decor, but my apartment recently had the carpets pulled and now has laminate floor which is nicer with the dog from a cleaning perspective. Also the grounds of the apartment are some of the nicer grounds I've seen (nice and large with sidewalks to walk the dog, etc). I've also now toured this facility twice and have had a positive experience both times (compared to the two other complexes I also toured today). It's a 10 month lease so if I randomly decide to apply for this Derm residency and match, I'm free to move as needed. However, looks like I'm staying in RI until April.

Also, one of the other complexes today gave me a bottle of wine just for touring.

So after realizing just how detrimental staying at my toxic job was to my health, I've decided to leave work six weeks early and things have definitely turned around since then.
1) After a sit down with our manager, things have gotten slightly better at work which has been a nice change
2) I'm moving in with my fiancé for the 6 weeks before school starts and we're finally getting some wedding planning done!
3) I start a paid internship at a mixed practice where my fiancé lives when I get down there which will be great for networking and a good learning experience.

Hoping the rest of summer goes great! :)

Reactions: 5 users
I just finished the 2nd week of my externship. Spent all day at the CO renaissance fest (and bought gifts for self+my immediate family...sooo much $). Yesterday I trekked a little around the Garden of the Gods (spotted a lizard and a doe!), the Manitou cliff dwellings, and then just walking/shopping around downtown Manitou Springs, downtown Denver the night before that. Weekend before that I visited The Wildlife Sanctuary (and got the best souvenir possible, The Big Egg), and Casa Bonita, ha. We also had a pretty unique case last week which led to me seeing an equine surgical procedure for the first time, and I'm so glad that patient got to live. The staff here are all really supportive and committed to the student interns/externs, so far I've worked alongside vet students from Auburn and CSU. This will be my last work week...I'll be sad to leave, but also happy because I really, really miss my pup and kitties </3

Reactions: 7 users
My dad's girlfriend's son and his girlfriend (boy, that's a mouthful) had a baby a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, he and his girlfriend are both just really unprepared to have a kid---they blow their money on cigarettes, have been to prison several times, and are generally irresponsible and unfit even when it comes to simply taking care of themselves, let alone another life. So their poor son has been stuck in the foster system pretty much since leaving the hospital. My dad and his girlfriend are currently in the process to get him out of foster care and adopt him. Things are going well so far, from what I know; they're just waiting for a home study and the final approval. I can only imagine that being rotated around through different homes as an infant could really adversely impact the mental development and sense of attachment to parental figures that a kid that age would start to exhibit, so I'm really, really happy that it sounds like he is going to have a stable family and home environment very soon.

Anyway, one of my teenage sisters was sweet enough to give up her bedroom for the baby:

View attachment 220483

And here is little Remmington himself:

View attachment 220484

I think it might be kinda fun to have a baby brother again. :)

Aww! I wish him and the rest of your family the best. A friend of mine adopted her niece and nephew from an unstable situation and they're thriving now. Definitely a tough situation, but it sounds like little Remmington is going to a home where he'll get a lot of love :)

My dad and his girlfriend are currently in the process to get him out of foster care and adopt him. Things are going well so far, from what I know; they're just waiting for a home study and the final approval. I can only imagine that being rotated around through different homes as an infant could adversely impact the mental development and sense of attachment to parental figures that a kid that age would start to exhibit, so I'm really, really happy that it sounds like he is going to have a stable family and home environment very soon.

Anyway, one of my teenage sisters was sweet enough to give up her bedroom for the baby
I think it might be kinda fun to have a baby brother again. :)
I hope everything works out for them with adopting!! And that's so sweet of your sister to give up her room for him. He's a cutie!

Ikea was a bust on the outdoor chair I wanted (apparently my new geographically convenient store chose not to stock a lot of the outdoor furniture for their opening in June). :(

World Market came through though. Now I have a set that can seat three people comfortably.

I also got my rabbits' cute new hay manger in the mail. I'm hoping this will cut down on some of the mess.

I actually paid people to move my furniture. Best money I've ever spent. So much easier.
I'm seriously considering this for my next move. Even though I have family and friends who would do it for beer and food. I just don't want to inconvenience anyone.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm seriously considering this for my next move. Even though I have family and friends who would do it for beer and food. I just don't want to inconvenience anyone.
I've done the 'family and friends here's beer and pizza' more times then I can count. This was way smoother and more organized and I didn't end up wanting to stuff my mother in a closet. Getting a reputable company is key though!

Also congrsts @kcoughli! Hope everything goes well and you have a great day!

Reactions: 1 user
Getting a reputable company is key though!

This is very important. Apparently one of the big new scams that happens is people hiring movers off of Craigslist. They come and load up all your stuff just fine, but they never bring it to your next destination. Almost happened to a friend of mine when she moved from undergrad town to vet school. But she had some good judgement and fired them before they ever loaded up anything.

I did for my past move. I boxed everything up, but it was so nice (especially living on the third floor of a tall building on a busy intersection) to have somebody else schlep everything down the elevator and out into the truck. More expensive than DIY, but at that point it was totally worth it to me.

Placed my first NE tube tonight, whoop whoop! Also got to do a lac repair which was pretty awesome. Plus, I officially broke 60 hours this week. So much doctoring is happening over here.

Reactions: 6 users
Placed my first NE tube tonight, whoop whoop! Also got to do a lac repair which was pretty awesome. Plus, I officially broke 60 hours this week. So much doctoring is happening over here.
i taught 3 of our 6 new interns to place NG tubes this week. we were having a heavy feeding tube kind of week! we did 2 back to back one night and had 2 interns on. they were excited :)

Reactions: 6 users
i taught 3 of our 6 new interns to place NG tubes this week. we were having a heavy feeding tube kind of week! we did 2 back to back one night and had 2 interns on. they were excited :)
It's so satisfying!