RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Animal breeding was the WORST. So many tedious math equations and a breeding simulation assignment that was all dumb luck (imo) :rolleyes:

Did you take it at Purdue?!?! I think this has been my most hated class in undergrad... I really don't think I'll use this info. Did he make the final optional?!?!
I lucked out when I took it. I had her as my professor instead of him.

Members don't see this ad.

I lucked out when I took it. I had her as my professor instead of him.

Yeah we were supposed to have her but she had surgery and was out the whole semester. A couple of friends who had him last semester and last year said it was optional so crossing my fingers!

Reactions: 1 user
Catching up with this thread makes me so happy ❤
Half of SDN has already heard about this, but whatever.

I did my first cystotomy since going out into practice on Friday... on a guinea pig. Seven years old. Who hadn't eaten properly in a week, moderate ileus, 14 bladder stones (one with a mucous plug attached down the urethra and I have no idea how he's been urinating) and, oh, is owned by the neighbor and good friend of my boss (who is currently out of town).

No pressure, right?

Surgery and anesthesia went fine, but the little jerk face wouldn't eat post-op. Spent an hour shoving critical care, cilantro and greens and bell pepper down his gullet last night, I'm off today so I exhibited appropriate work-life balance by sitting anxiously by my phone most of the morning hoping for a requested update from our techs. MISSED THE PHONE CALL, straight to voicemail when I called her back. Tried again and she updated me... HE IS EATING!!

I repeat, eating AND drinking, apparently mowing down his hay, greens and treats. Peeing and pooping. Not out of the woods yet and I'm probably jinxing myself by celebrating, but I'm not someone who gets super anxious about surgical patients (tend to be a "I've done my best and it's up to them from now on" sort of person) so the amount of stressing I've been doing over this little dude has been exhausting and I just want him to do well.

He's doing well. I'm so happy. Good piggy with a really sweet teenage owner.
I LOVE THIS TRILT!!!! Congrats! :biglove:

Members don't see this ad :)
After all the raving about Halotop, I finally found some. It was at my Walmart:soexcited: I tried the chocolate and the mint chip. Both were awesome!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm really really excited for my summer, I've got good things lined up. I don't really like school, lol. First year is almost over though! Woo!

Reactions: 8 users
I had a fingerprinting lab today in my biochem lab that was related to forensic biochemistry that I absolutely loved. It reminded me of why I fell in love with biochemistry in the first place.

The problem? Forensic biochem isn't related to vet med... :bag:

I had a fingerprinting lab today in my biochem lab that was related to forensic biochemistry that I absolutely loved. It reminded me of why I fell in love with biochemistry in the first place.

There's a forensics elective at OSU! Mainly shelter/cruelty cases but it exists.

Reactions: 1 users
There's a forensics elective at OSU! Mainly shelter/cruelty cases but it exists.
I was gonna say, cruelty has a lot of use for forensic work, although they generally try to use human focused labs for that since those are better established. But a lot of human labs won't even touch nonhuman samples unless it's related to a human case.

I will also add there is a decent amount of forensics in wildlife work, especially if an animal attacks someone for some reason and they need to confirm that they got the right animal.

Reactions: 2 users

Funny you mention that, because I came across this article about veterinary forensics today.

Or if that's not your cup of tea, there's always PooPrints :laugh:

I was gonna say, cruelty has a lot of use for forensic work, although they generally try to use human focused labs for that since those are better established. But a lot of human labs won't even touch nonhuman samples unless it's related to a human case.

I will also add there is a decent amount of forensics in wildlife work, especially if an animal attacks someone for some reason and they need to confirm that they got the right animal.
Funny you mention that, because I came across this article about veterinary forensics today.

Or if that's not your cup of tea, there's always PooPrints :laugh:
Oh woo. Good. I have a little more time of "am I making a terrible decision" now!

I may regret this, but agreed to stay on at least temporarily as an ER doc at the location where I'm doing my internship. Downside is that I have to find a new place to live by July 1st

I may regret this, but agreed to stay on at least temporarily as an ER doc at the location where I'm doing my internship. Downside is that I have to find a new place to live by July 1st

A friend of a friend did the same after her internship and is still there and presumably not totally hating her life :)

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of interns stay here. I think I'm just cut out for maybe a less busy ER. Or the Derm life. Still toying with that as a residency.

I use my school's Dermatology service regularly because I own a Shar-Pei mix (nuff said) and our Dermatologist always says "this is what you should go into". She raves about the benefits of her field.

I use my school's Dermatology service regularly because I own a Shar-Pei mix (nuff said) and our Dermatologist always says "this is what you should go into". She raves about the benefits of her field.

I had never thought about it before my rotation but it comes easily to me and I love the FAD/atopy/food allergy talk. Our dermatologists at school put it in my head but I didn't think I'd want to do it. Now I'm reconsidering.

I have discovered the Magic that is Prime Now. So my inaugural order is six pints of Halo Top, a thing of cooking spray, and a thing of toilet paper. I'm pretty sure the people who pack/deliver that order are going to be like, wtf.

But! They have Halo Top for the cheapest I've seen anywhere, so...

Reactions: 6 users
I have discovered the Magic that is Prime Now. So my inaugural order is six pints of Halo Top, a thing of cooking spray, and a thing of toilet paper. I'm pretty sure the people who pack/deliver that order are going to be like, wtf.

Omg

So jealous

Maybe they'll just assume you're lactose intolerant. :shrug: :laugh:

Reactions: 6 users
My parasitology section had the best overall average and my table group was the one chosen out of our section to win the dinner provided by our professor :soexcited:

Reactions: 8 users
I had never thought about it before my rotation but it comes easily to me and I love the FAD/atopy/food allergy talk. Our dermatologists at school put it in my head but I didn't think I'd want to do it. Now I'm reconsidering.

Yup, you are hired to come have the talk to all of my clients. I hate that talk. 99% of people don't listen or respond with "but he's on a grain free diet"..

Reactions: 3 users
My lovely and wonderful SO stood out in the rain for me this morning waiting in line while I was at school... and I finally got a Nintendo Switch!!! :love::love:

If you need me I'll be in Hyrule :D

Reactions: 15 users

Just tried Oatmeal Cookie. Not bad - definite cinnamon-y undertone.

Reactions: 2 users
Went surfing today with some friends. Haven't been surfing for a long time - so had to wax a few boards collecting dust in my garage.

Tempted to post a photo showing me paddling back out to the lineup after wiping out in a gnarly wave. In the photo, I look like a shiny seal glued to a short board - but it's just an off-angle shot from my friend who was goofing-off nearby, and not surfing.

It's hard to believe that some people bring cameras with them into the ocean - but they do!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Went surfing today with some friends. Haven't been surfing for a long time - so had to wax a few boards collecting dust in my garage.

Tempted to post a photo showing me paddling back out to the lineup after wiping out in a gnarly wave. In the photo, I look like a shiny black wetsuited seal glued to a short board - but it's just an off-angle shot from my friend who was goofing-off nearby, and not surfing.

It's hard to believe that some people bring cameras with them into the ocean - but they do!

I am not a surfer, but my brother in San Luis Obispo, CA is! Very cool, Dr. S! I vote for a photo.

Here is a surfing photo (which I will likely delete before the end of today) .

Yesterday, I was a seal (squeezed into a tight black wetsuit) and riding the waves.

Today, my face is sunburned, but thankfully, nothing else is!!!

[Photo gone]

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users

Yesterday, I was a seal (squeezed into a tight black wetsuit) and riding the waves.

I definitely can see the seal analogy! :laugh: That's at least better than the last time I went surfing! Brother wiped out so hard, he ended up chipping his tooth!

I won't quote the photo so you can delete, but that looks fun yet terrifying at the same time! And definitely see the seal comparison. :)

Last week I ranted about my dream house being sold to someone at the eleventh hour since they offered to pay in cash. My realtor and I kept looking for houses but in the meantime my realtor kept in contact with the people listing the house. They said that if anything happened I was at the top of the list. Yesterday I got a call from my realtor that the cash deal fell through and my dream house is actually mine now! I also sold my trailer yesterday. So happy right now!

Reactions: 19 users
Last week I ranted about my dream house being sold to someone at the eleventh hour since they offered to pay in cash. My realtor and I kept looking for houses but in the meantime my realtor kept in contact with the people listing the house. They said that if anything happened I was at the top of the list. Yesterday I got a call from my realtor that the cash deal fell through and my dream house is actually mine now! I also sold my trailer yesterday. So happy right now!
YAYYY!!!

An owl...a seal...what'll DocS be next

Reactions: 9 users
Just took my fiancé horseback riding for the first time... he did amazing and loved it! I'm so pleasantly surprised because I thought he would have issues due to his prosthetic leg, but it actually helped him stay balanced. We get in the car after 4 hours of riding in the hot sun and he says, "I can't wait to go again"!

Little does he know, it was all part of my evil plot to convince him to let me get TWO horses instead of one when we graduate. Muahahaha :p

Bought some stuff today to get my patio in order. I've lived in this condo for almost two years so it's about time. I'm putting stones in half of the flower beds and doing vertical planting with the pallets the previous renter left. I'm not sure what I want to plant in the remaining flowerbed though. I like lavender but we'll see what I find in the next few weeks. I want it to be light maintenance.

Just took my fiancé horseback riding for the first time... he did amazing and loved it! I'm so pleasantly surprised because I thought he would have issues due to his prosthetic leg, but it actually helped him stay balanced. We get in the car after 4 hours of riding in the hot sun and he says, "I can't wait to go again"!

Little does he know, it was all part of my evil plot to convince him to let me get TWO horses instead of one when we graduate. Muahahaha :p
There goes the slippery slope. My dad keeps saying he's gonna learn how to ride my pony but still hasn't. My friend has a nice bob Marshall and everything so he can ride but getting him to do so is the hard part. She'll be perfect for him. I'll be doing a lot of trail rides when I get home to get her in shape and then maybe we can finally him to go for a ride or lesson

I definitely can see the seal analogy! :laugh: That's at least better than the last time I went surfing! Brother wiped out so hard, he ended up chipping his tooth!
@cdoconn don't want you to lose any teeth. We'll find some small swells for you to ride.

dentist.gif

@hazelmoo ... only 2 horses? How about a huge horse ranch instead?

Very happy to hear your fiance enjoyed riding horses with you - awesome! :)

rodeo.gif

Vet school? Two horses? He must be loaded, does he want another fiancé?

Reactions: 13 users
As of this morning, I am DONE with anatomy FOREVER! :soexcited:

Perhaps a bit of a premature celebration given that I've been struggling in the class all semester and we don't have our grades yet, but I feel like I actually did pretty well on our written/theory final this morning. Hopefully I won't have to take that back (again)!

As of this morning, I am DONE with anatomy FOREVER! :soexcited:

Perhaps a bit of a premature celebration given that I've been struggling in the class all semester and we don't have our grades yet, but I feel like I actually did pretty well on our written/theory final this morning. Hopefully I won't have to take that back (again)!
YAY SANDY! :claps::banana::biglove: I'm so happy for you! I've been secretly rooting for you all year! I'm so happy you're done (hopefully). You will make such a wonderful vet!

Reactions: 3 users
Found my foster dog her forever home! Even through the ridiculously complicated autoimmune disorder and healed in the open position pelvic fracture we found her a loving home! Isn't she a cutie pie?
upload_2017-5-1_15-16-37.jpeg

Reactions: 15 users
Found my foster dog her forever home! Even through the ridiculously complicated autoimmune disorder and healed in the open position pelvic fracture we found her a loving home! Isn't she a cutie pie?
View attachment 218351

That's awesome, Coopah!! It's great when the right home comes along for the medically complicated fosters. She's adorable. Good luck in your new home pretty lady.

View attachment 218351
She's so precious! Good for her for finding her forever home! :biglove: