1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Studying for the DAT, GRE, OAT or PCAT? Test Prep Week Exhibitors are here to help!

**Rate your SMP & Postbac**

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by braluk, Mar 10, 2007.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. ScottTenorman54

ScottTenorman54

Jun 9, 2016

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. nm0508

nm0508 2+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Connecticut
    Anyone have feedback on Brown's Master's in Medical Sciences? Really curious about this program! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

mia thermopolis likes this.
  4. Vinny15

Vinny15 2+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2014
    I'd like to hear about Brown as well. Do you know anything about it nm?

5. nm0508

nm0508 2+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Connecticut
    @Vinny15 no I don't except for what it says on the website. I was hoping someone who completed the program could comment as I can't find much about it on sdn

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

6. Vinny15

Vinny15 2+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2014
    When was this program even established? Does anyone know?

7. rkdesp

rkdesp

Mar 24, 2017
    Could someone please do an updated rating on UPenn LPS Specialized program please?

amarandi likes this.
  8. Sanshui089

Sanshui089

Aug 30, 2016
    Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health: Master of Health Science (MHS), Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  9. Bigchau

Bigchau

Jan 18, 2016
    hey guys, currently applying to:

Georgetown
    Drexel
    Tufts
    NYMC

any recent expereinces you can share regarding these four?

Also, please give me some recommendations on similar SMPs I can apply to (1 year programs, relatively high med school acceptance rate) if you know any!

Thanks!

10. pKirin

pKirin

Nov 19, 2016
    Does a recent (past 2-3 years) Loyola MAMS graduate care to share what the status of the program is like nowadays?

11. HelloMello912

HelloMello912

Jan 15, 2016
    Hi all,

Just curious to see if anyone had thoughts on the following post-bac programs:
    -SFSU
    -University of Vermont
    -Wash U in STL

Thanks!

12. Crooklyn Born

Crooklyn Born Phi Nu Pi

Oct 24, 2016

I'm finishing up Drexel's MBS program this May and have been accepted to 4 MD schools so far. I'd say this program is great if you need a total overhaul on your application stats :academic, Research, MCAT, volunteer, etc. While I did come in already with quite a bit of clinical experience, I was lacking in all the other areas. Be prepared to work your butt off though. But if you do, you will get into med school. Everyone in my program who has really put the work in has been successful.

One caveat is you also need to be pretty self motivated in preparing yourself and getting through the program.

crimsonhorses likes this.
  13. Bigchau

Bigchau

Jan 18, 2016
    may I ask if you are enrolled in the interdepartmental medical science program? There appears to be a distinction between the MBS and the IMS program, which is the SMP

14. Crooklyn Born

Crooklyn Born Phi Nu Pi

Oct 24, 2016
    I'm in the MBS program. I wanted the first year of taking classes geared towards the MCAT, which really helped me perform well on the test. IMS first year is the MBS second year, where we take the majority of Drexel Med's M1 courseload. I think IMS is better if you're already strong academically, and just need a little extra boost.

I think they both are technically SMP's, but MBS is the official one I believe

athena93 likes this.
  15. summercookies11

summercookies11

Mar 26, 2017
    Hello!

I have been reviewing different SMP programs in various threads for a few months now but I am still finding it difficult to make a decision on which school to attend with the best chances. I have been accepted to Case Western MS in Medical Physiology, USC Global Medicine, Rutgers MBS Medical Scholars (Newark), Rutgers MBS (Piscataway), Midwestern Arizona MBS and Tulane Cell Biology. I am still waiting to hear back from Tufts MBS. I am currently leaning towards either CWRU MS in Medical Physiology or Rutgers Medical Scholars (Newark)! Any help would be dearly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

16. Ssha

Ssha

Jun 1, 2016
    Anyone part of the Rowan Post bacc program?

17. somerandomdude

somerandomdude

Apr 28, 2017
    Are you talking about the one at Cooper? I will be attending it this June!

18. Ssha

Ssha

Jun 1, 2016
    Yes that one! I want to apply for next year but i've heard bad things about post baccs. Only 4 people get interviews for the med school.

19. Ollivander

Ollivander 5+ Year Member

Sep 11, 2012
    I was just skimming this thread a year after making my own decision to try out a SMP. In hindsight, wow does it look as though Barry gives incentives to students to post here. It makes me wonder what those students are getting in return, or even if it's an recruiter making several accounts to hype Barry up. Some of these for-profit programs seem so sketch.

Additionally, anyone who's considering taking on a SMP needs to really think about the ROI they're getting from doing one of these. Can a family practice physician, GP dentist, or whatever specific career you're gunning for pay off the debt of both the cost of the SMP you're planning to attend plus the cost of whatever med/dental school you're gunning for? Food for thought. I feel like a lot of pre-professionals focus more on filling the boxes in order to start their career and less on what their quality of life will be like by taking on globs of debt.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    parslea likes this.
  20. Crooklyn Born

Crooklyn Born Phi Nu Pi

Oct 24, 2016
    Very true, It's why there's is, and likely will always be, a shortage of Primary care physicians. As students realize the paltry income associated with those fields, especially as compared to their new debt load, they run towards higher income specialties. From a financial point of view, as long as you're making at least as much as your debt is, then it should be easy to pay off with simple budgeting

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Ollivander likes this.
  21. Ollivander

Ollivander 5+ Year Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Agreed. The problem lies where you have future MD/DO's or DMD/DDS's coming out with debt 2-5x higher than their expected income level as a new grad. It's only getting worse too. A bubble will eventually burst, but I'm not sure as to when that'll happen. I'd take my chances with a post-bacc before resorting to a SMP unless your debt load is none or close to none after undergrad. Otherwise you're going to have a bad time if you choose to do one of these 50K SMPs and don't get into your targeted professional school. In hindsight, a SMP is only useful and worth the risk if you're pursuing MD/DO IMO.

22. latinclubimperatus

latinclubimperatus Just let me in dammit 2+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Dallas, Texas
    Well I was admitted but I declined because it doesn't really seem to help that much frankly.

23. tekkenman11

tekkenman11 2+ Year Member

Sep 9, 2014
    The original 8 Special Master Programs (from 2006) are the ones you should be looking into, I would not consider NYMC unless you will get some state residency love. Reason being is that largely what makes a SMP beneficial is the rigor and program reputation.

24. catsfan1

catsfan1

May 12, 2017
    Can anyone review Mississippi college masters of Medical Science's?

Also can anyone give me good insights on which programs I would be a good candidate for. I have a cGPA of 3.2 and a sGpa of 3.1. I have not taken the MCAT but would like the program to have MCAT prep option. I have taken the GRE and made a 298. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

25. zess02

zess02 Zessie 2+ Year Member

Aug 28, 2013
    There was a post about Mississippi. Not sure which one, you should look it up

26. mdhopeful22

mdhopeful22 2+ Year Member

Jul 13, 2013
    East Coast
    I ended up finishing the IHS program at Drexel. I can't say that I would recommend it. The courses are a mixed bag but if you speak to current students who are further along, you will have a better sense of the offerings and the way teachers will grade. Administrative support is spotty and communication can be inconsistent. That said, there are a few students who have done very well in their first year who have been very successful in their application cycle, but they were more exceptions. I can't say what set them apart from other students who had done well as I don't know much about the other aspects of their application, history before matriculation, extracurriculars etc. It is difficult to know what courses will be offered in advance making it hard to plan. They also ended up raising tuition by 6k in my second year with no notice which was frustrating.

I have spoken to people who have done a program at Temple, Tufts, BU, and EVMS, and they all seemed to have generally more positive things to say but that is of course anecdotal.

27. oiluyom1

oiluyom1

Dec 8, 2016
  28. cptnjack

cptnjack

Sep 30, 2015
    Hey all, this is for Rosalind Franklin University BMS (Biomedical Sciences Masters ) Program that has a linkage to all the professional schools at RFUMS, including Chicago Medical School (CMS).

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)

The program is structured to a certain extent, there is a great deal of organization in most aspects of the classes and schedules, but sometimes during exam weeks and other high stress times, you tend to notice the faults more often than not. The learning environment is great, the school is big in inter-professionalism, aka working with all the professional schools, however as a BMS student, little of that is experienced because of the amount of time you have to put into studying. Our school campus is open 365/24 7 which is a godsend for studying or holding review sessions. The cost is pretty hefty with tuition for the program around 48k. The location is crap, if you think you will be coming to "Chicago" to do your SMP, you are dead wrong, the school is in the north north part of Illinois/Chicago, closer to Milwaukee than Chicago. HOWEVER, because there is so little to do, you should have no distractions preventing you from studying and being successful. The faculty is great, majority of all professors here LOVE to teach and will gladly spend time with you if you have any questions, they are all brilliant in their respective fields. No joke, the program is incredibly difficult, at the end of it, I felt like it took away a couple of years off my life due to the amount of stress endured. BUT, everyone who put in the work every single day, was successful into either getting into med school or their respective professional school. Getting into the program is semi competitive, last year there were around 300-400 applications for around a 100 seats; once in the program, you dont compete against each other because you arent graded against each other; you are graded against M1 averages for exams. The other students in the program are very friendly, no one will ever turn you down if you need help, granted groups form and people tend to stick to their groups, most people know everyone else in the program. The buildings,classrooms,facilities are all decent at best, partly dated but the library has enough spots to study at and there school is surprisingly big even though its technically one building.

2) The kinds of classes you've taken and a description.

Here is the breakdown for the classes over the year.

Fall Quarter
    Intro to Interprofessional Healthcare - very simple attendance based class
    Clinical Molecular Cell Biology - memorization heavy medical school class where you are graded against the M1's
    Medical Biochemistry - memorization/understanding heavy medical school class where you are graded against the M1's
    Track Courses Option** - every BMS student selects a track, there is nutrition, leadership, health admin etc, that adds to your course load, most of the courses are online and require weekly assignments and end of term projects that can occur at inconvenient times.

Winter Quarter
    Medical Physiology-A - medical school class graded against M1's
    Topics in Physiology-A - special BMS class run by the Co-Chair of Admissions
    Track Courses Option** 3-6

Spring Quarter
    Medical Physiology-B
    Topics in Physiology-B
    Medical Neuroscience - Hell on earth, but fascinating medical school class graded against M1's
    Track Courses Option**

As you can see, a lot of the courses fall over into the next quarter, Biochem fell over into winter and TIPS/HIPS is a year long obligation.

3) Something they wished they knew coming into the program

No one knows how much you have to study to do well in this program, most people think that they can up their undergraduate studying levels a little bit to be successful. However, you need to study every single day in order to beat the M1 average and get A's and B;s in the courses, which sounds a lot easier than it is. Know how to use ANKI because that will be a godsend for basically all the medical school classes. Develop a good routine that will stick with you when you get stressed and bogged down during finals, lifting, cooking, sleeping and dont sway from the schedule.
    4) Something they would like to tell incoming students about your program

see above

5) Tips for students applying to your program

If you have stats close enough to the averages posted on the RFUMS website, give the program a shot and apply, I think the app is 50 or 100$ and you have a decent % chance of getting into the program if you have a unique background or have shown a change in your performance academically.

6) Did it help you get into medical school/dental school/etc.?

It helped me get into an MD school, no doubt about that, I had 1 MD acceptance and that was from the RFUMS BMS program getting into Chicago Medical School. If you work hard, interview well, have the grades, and arent a terrible socially akward person, you have a high chance of matriculating into CMS or any of the professional schools at RFUMS. If you dont care about getting in to MD programs, this program in my opinion has little weight because a lack of name recognition along with the fact its hard for other schools to compare the RFU curriculum against their own. The program had no impact on me getting into DO schools however as the acceptances for that came well before finishing this program.
    7) Anything else you'd like to add

Take advantage of the resources provided to you, get your face out there, develop your connections and get yourself known by the faculty and staff. Be nice to everyone because they will hopefully be your family for the next 4 years!

8) A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation)

A complete 5. The program helped me get into a US MD Medical school, where I would have never had a shot otherwise through the normal application process. Granted you have to be willing to shave a few years off your life and sell your soul, but hey, I'll be a doctor now ;).

29. Hermoine Stark

Hermoine Stark 2+ Year Member

Jun 2, 2015

Thank you so much this was so helpful. Mind me asking what is ANKI?

30. cptnjack

cptnjack

Sep 30, 2015
    ANKI is a spaced repetition flashcard program that most med students use for their classes. It is incredibly useful and helpful and should cut down studying time immensely!

31. IdealNFP

IdealNFP

Dec 22, 2016
    If you don't mind me asking what were your stats before entering the program, and the stats and GPA/MCAT you ended up with at the time of acceptance to CMS? I'm looking very closely at Rosalind's and Loyola's SMP, and wondering if it'll be worth the hefty tuition and stressful year. I'm applying to DO's this cycle, but I will also apply to some SMP's as well to keep my options open. Also thank you so much for the very thorough review, I'm sure it will help a lot of people!

32. DemiLovato

DemiLovato

May 10, 2017
    Did anyone offer any insight for CSULA's postbacc for prehealth program?

33. WhiteCoatWonder

WhiteCoatWonder doin' it for the culture 7+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Hampton University, MMS (completed): Current MS4

Specifically, Id like to see users here comment about

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)
    Pros
    -small class size, personal attention, done by noon most days
    -Cornelius Bondzi, a guy named Mark and Edmund Ndip, world class instructors
    -not difficult to gain acceptance into program
    -good for students who are self directed learners
    -potentially a GPA booster
    -definitely a unique HBCU experience
    -possible pipelines to different professional schools, as Druitt has several relationships with admissions reps all over

Cons
    -$$$$$$$$$$$...Hampton is a private school!
    -"historical landmark" (i.e. old, some areas of campus could use a little sprucing up, but this was a non-issue for me)
    -lack of oversight/continuity with staff (i.e. many days of showing up to class with no instructor)
    -no guarantees during or after completion of program
    -nepotism?
    -lots of cheating, unfortunately
    -lots of nickel and diming + time saps with the scheduled activities outside the classroom

2) The kinds of classes you've taken and a description.
    LORDT! It's been too long...overall though:
    Year 1: all MCAT prep, all the time; biochem, some sort of writing/verbal reasoning review, regular chem, all the basics
    Year 2: Essentially week one of M1 over the span of a year, no joke.

3) Something they wished they knew coming into the program
    -Michael Druitt *is the entire panel* for admissions and for your "chair's letter" received for professional school apps
    -one must fend for oneself, in many capacities
    -$$$
    -Hampton University has a reputation for being a little funny with the money! Keep copies, take names, make a spreadsheet, something! Anecdotally, a friend of mine at the pharmacy school was almost removed from her program, on the grounds of nonpayment. She'd paid her dues for the semester but they were not documented in her records because the person responsible for doing so was out of town that week. Watch it!

4) Something they would like to tell incoming students about your program
    -prepare to work independently
    -prepare to hear people complain (erday)
    -if you plan to cheat, remember that you still need to pass all your Steps, boards, certifications, etc
    -look to your left and then to your right...2/3 of you may not take the expected trajectory after completion of this program.

5) Tips for students applying to your program
    Same old, apply early, keep it professional. I don't think I actually interviewed in person, but this may have changed since then. Prepare to pay extra for required textbooks, etc.

6) Did it help you get into medical school/dental school/etc.?
    YES. I'm a non-traditional student who had been out of school for awhile and I was totally prepared to utilize this program to its fullest extent. A lot of people suggested that I turn down my acceptance, but good thing I don't listen to most people! I worked my butt off, maintaining full time employment for the duration and graduating with just under a 4.0. Didn't fall into any traps and got into medical school on the first try. God is good.

7) Anything else you'd like to add
    If I had to do it all over again, I would. The program really is what you make it. You can goof off and expect to be spoon fed but that definitely won't get you far, here or in life, right? I appreciate the opportunity to switch into beast mode and finish strong.

8) A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation) 3.5

34. crcrown

crcrown

Jul 16, 2017
    I was wondering how VCOM post bacc, Drexel Pathway to Medicine and LECOM post bacc compare? Which would you recommend the most?

35. Hockeyfreak75

Hockeyfreak75

Jun 25, 2017
    Has anyone had any experience with the Iowa State 1 year non degree program? I was referred to it by a medical school admissions director at my undergrad, but don't see very many posts on here about it.

36. ppushpak

ppushpak

Dec 18, 2016
    I've heard VCOM Post Bacc is hard but doable (I guess all Post-Baccs will be hard tbh). Seems like a good linkage program but not quite sure.

37. kelminak

kelminak 5+ Year Member

Jan 16, 2012
    You should read our thread in the pre-DO forums regarding VCOM (dig just a page or so at most) as I've given updates there. I'd rate it at a 5 and would wager it's one of the best DO post baccs if not the best.

38. Ssha

Ssha

Jun 1, 2016
    I haven't seen a post regarding the linkage of Rowan's Post bacc program to the DO school.

Does anyone know what is required to get into the DO program via the post bacc?

Any info would be appreciated.