**Rate your SMP & Postbac**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health: Master of Health Science (MHS), Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
hey guys, currently applying to:

Georgetown
Drexel
Tufts
NYMC

any recent expereinces you can share regarding these four?

Also, please give me some recommendations on similar SMPs I can apply to (1 year programs, relatively high med school acceptance rate) if you know any!

Thanks!

Hi all,

Just curious to see if anyone had thoughts on the following post-bac programs:
-SFSU
-University of Vermont
-Wash U in STL

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Georgetown
Drexel
Tufts
NYMC

Also, please give me some recommendations on similar SMPs I can apply to (1 year programs, relatively high med school acceptance rate) if you know any!

Thanks!

I'm finishing up Drexel's MBS program this May and have been accepted to 4 MD schools so far. I'd say this program is great if you need a total overhaul on your application stats :academic, Research, MCAT, volunteer, etc. While I did come in already with quite a bit of clinical experience, I was lacking in all the other areas. Be prepared to work your butt off though. But if you do, you will get into med school. Everyone in my program who has really put the work in has been successful.

One caveat is you also need to be pretty self motivated in preparing yourself and getting through the program.

I'm finishing up Drexel's MBS program this May and have been accepted to 4 MD schools so far. I'd say this program is great if you need a total overhaul on your application stats :academic, Research, MCAT, volunteer, etc. While I did come in already with quite a bit of clinical experience, I was lacking in all the other areas. Be prepared to work your butt off though. But if you do, you will get into med school. Everyone in my program who has really put the work in has been successful.

One caveat is you also need to be pretty self motivated in preparing yourself and getting through the program.
may I ask if you are enrolled in the interdepartmental medical science program? There appears to be a distinction between the MBS and the IMS program, which is the SMP

may I ask if you are enrolled in the interdepartmental medical science program? There appears to be a distinction between the MBS and the IMS program, which is the SMP

I'm in the MBS program. I wanted the first year of taking classes geared towards the MCAT, which really helped me perform well on the test. IMS first year is the MBS second year, where we take the majority of Drexel Med's M1 courseload. I think IMS is better if you're already strong academically, and just need a little extra boost.

I think they both are technically SMP's, but MBS is the official one I believe

Hello!

I have been reviewing different SMP programs in various threads for a few months now but I am still finding it difficult to make a decision on which school to attend with the best chances. I have been accepted to Case Western MS in Medical Physiology, USC Global Medicine, Rutgers MBS Medical Scholars (Newark), Rutgers MBS (Piscataway), Midwestern Arizona MBS and Tulane Cell Biology. I am still waiting to hear back from Tufts MBS. I am currently leaning towards either CWRU MS in Medical Physiology or Rutgers Medical Scholars (Newark)! Any help would be dearly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone part of the Rowan Post bacc program?

Are you talking about the one at Cooper? I will be attending it this June!
Yes that one! I want to apply for next year but i've heard bad things about post baccs. Only 4 people get interviews for the med school.

I was just skimming this thread a year after making my own decision to try out a SMP. In hindsight, wow does it look as though Barry gives incentives to students to post here. It makes me wonder what those students are getting in return, or even if it's an recruiter making several accounts to hype Barry up. Some of these for-profit programs seem so sketch.

Additionally, anyone who's considering taking on a SMP needs to really think about the ROI they're getting from doing one of these. Can a family practice physician, GP dentist, or whatever specific career you're gunning for pay off the debt of both the cost of the SMP you're planning to attend plus the cost of whatever med/dental school you're gunning for? Food for thought. I feel like a lot of pre-professionals focus more on filling the boxes in order to start their career and less on what their quality of life will be like by taking on globs of debt.

Last edited:
I was just skimming this thread a year after making my own decision to try out a SMP. In hindsight, wow does it look as though Barry gives incentives to students to post here. It makes me wonder what those students are getting in return, or even if it's an recruiter making several accounts to hype Barry up. Some of these for-profit programs seem so sketch.

Additionally, anyone who's considering taking on a SMP needs to really think about the ROI they're getting from doing one of these. Can a family practice physician, GP dentist, or whatever specific career you're gunning for pay off the debt of both the cost of the SMP you're planning to attend plus the cost of whatever med/dental school you're gunning for? Food for thought. I feel like a lot of pre-professionals focus more on filling the boxes in order to start their career and less on what their quality of life will be life by taking on globs of debt.

Very true, It's why there's is, and likely will always be, a shortage of Primary care physicians. As students realize the paltry income associated with those fields, especially as compared to their new debt load, they run towards higher income specialties. From a financial point of view, as long as you're making at least as much as your debt is, then it should be easy to pay off with simple budgeting

Last edited:
Very true, It's why there's is, and likely will always be, a shortage of Romany care physicians. As students realize the paltry income associated with those fields, especially as compared to their new debt load, they run towards higher income specialties. From a financial point of view, as long as you're making at least as much as your debt is, then it should be easy to pay off with simple budgeting
Agreed. The problem lies where you have future MD/DO's or DMD/DDS's coming out with debt 2-5x higher than their expected income level as a new grad. It's only getting worse too. A bubble will eventually burst, but I'm not sure as to when that'll happen. I'd take my chances with a post-bacc before resorting to a SMP unless your debt load is none or close to none after undergrad. Otherwise you're going to have a bad time if you choose to do one of these 50K SMPs and don't get into your targeted professional school. In hindsight, a SMP is only useful and worth the risk if you're pursuing MD/DO IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone please do an updated rating on UPenn LPS Specialized program please?
Well I was admitted but I declined because it doesn't really seem to help that much frankly.

Georgetown
Drexel
Tufts
NYMC

Thanks!

The original 8 Special Master Programs (from 2006) are the ones you should be looking into, I would not consider NYMC unless you will get some state residency love. Reason being is that largely what makes a SMP beneficial is the rigor and program reputation.

Can anyone review Mississippi college masters of Medical Science's?

Also can anyone give me good insights on which programs I would be a good candidate for. I have a cGPA of 3.2 and a sGpa of 3.1. I have not taken the MCAT but would like the program to have MCAT prep option. I have taken the GRE and made a 298. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Can anyone review Mississippi college masters of Medical Science's?

Also can anyone give me good insights on which programs I would be a good candidate for. I have a cGPA of 3.2 and a sGpa of 3.1. I have not taken the MCAT but would like the program to have MCAT prep option. I have taken the GRE and made a 298. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

There was a post about Mississippi. Not sure which one, you should look it up

I ended up finishing the IHS program at Drexel. I can't say that I would recommend it. The courses are a mixed bag but if you speak to current students who are further along, you will have a better sense of the offerings and the way teachers will grade. Administrative support is spotty and communication can be inconsistent. That said, there are a few students who have done very well in their first year who have been very successful in their application cycle, but they were more exceptions. I can't say what set them apart from other students who had done well as I don't know much about the other aspects of their application, history before matriculation, extracurriculars etc. It is difficult to know what courses will be offered in advance making it hard to plan. They also ended up raising tuition by 6k in my second year with no notice which was frustrating.

I have spoken to people who have done a program at Temple, Tufts, BU, and EVMS, and they all seemed to have generally more positive things to say but that is of course anecdotal.

Hey all, this is for Rosalind Franklin University BMS (Biomedical Sciences Masters ) Program that has a linkage to all the professional schools at RFUMS, including Chicago Medical School (CMS).

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)

The program is structured to a certain extent, there is a great deal of organization in most aspects of the classes and schedules, but sometimes during exam weeks and other high stress times, you tend to notice the faults more often than not. The learning environment is great, the school is big in inter-professionalism, aka working with all the professional schools, however as a BMS student, little of that is experienced because of the amount of time you have to put into studying. Our school campus is open 365/24 7 which is a godsend for studying or holding review sessions. The cost is pretty hefty with tuition for the program around 48k. The location is crap, if you think you will be coming to "Chicago" to do your SMP, you are dead wrong, the school is in the north north part of Illinois/Chicago, closer to Milwaukee than Chicago. HOWEVER, because there is so little to do, you should have no distractions preventing you from studying and being successful. The faculty is great, majority of all professors here LOVE to teach and will gladly spend time with you if you have any questions, they are all brilliant in their respective fields. No joke, the program is incredibly difficult, at the end of it, I felt like it took away a couple of years off my life due to the amount of stress endured. BUT, everyone who put in the work every single day, was successful into either getting into med school or their respective professional school. Getting into the program is semi competitive, last year there were around 300-400 applications for around a 100 seats; once in the program, you dont compete against each other because you arent graded against each other; you are graded against M1 averages for exams. The other students in the program are very friendly, no one will ever turn you down if you need help, granted groups form and people tend to stick to their groups, most people know everyone else in the program. The buildings,classrooms,facilities are all decent at best, partly dated but the library has enough spots to study at and there school is surprisingly big even though its technically one building.

2) The kinds of classes you've taken and a description.

Here is the breakdown for the classes over the year.

Fall Quarter
Intro to Interprofessional Healthcare - very simple attendance based class
Clinical Molecular Cell Biology - memorization heavy medical school class where you are graded against the M1's
Medical Biochemistry - memorization/understanding heavy medical school class where you are graded against the M1's
Track Courses Option** - every BMS student selects a track, there is nutrition, leadership, health admin etc, that adds to your course load, most of the courses are online and require weekly assignments and end of term projects that can occur at inconvenient times.

Winter Quarter
Medical Physiology-A - medical school class graded against M1's
Topics in Physiology-A - special BMS class run by the Co-Chair of Admissions
Track Courses Option** 3-6

Spring Quarter
Medical Physiology-B
Topics in Physiology-B
Medical Neuroscience - Hell on earth, but fascinating medical school class graded against M1's
Track Courses Option**

As you can see, a lot of the courses fall over into the next quarter, Biochem fell over into winter and TIPS/HIPS is a year long obligation.

3) Something they wished they knew coming into the program

No one knows how much you have to study to do well in this program, most people think that they can up their undergraduate studying levels a little bit to be successful. However, you need to study every single day in order to beat the M1 average and get A's and B;s in the courses, which sounds a lot easier than it is. Know how to use ANKI because that will be a godsend for basically all the medical school classes. Develop a good routine that will stick with you when you get stressed and bogged down during finals, lifting, cooking, sleeping and dont sway from the schedule.
4) Something they would like to tell incoming students about your program

see above

5) Tips for students applying to your program

If you have stats close enough to the averages posted on the RFUMS website, give the program a shot and apply, I think the app is 50 or 100$ and you have a decent % chance of getting into the program if you have a unique background or have shown a change in your performance academically.

6) Did it help you get into medical school/dental school/etc.?

It helped me get into an MD school, no doubt about that, I had 1 MD acceptance and that was from the RFUMS BMS program getting into Chicago Medical School. If you work hard, interview well, have the grades, and arent a terrible socially akward person, you have a high chance of matriculating into CMS or any of the professional schools at RFUMS. If you dont care about getting in to MD programs, this program in my opinion has little weight because a lack of name recognition along with the fact its hard for other schools to compare the RFU curriculum against their own. The program had no impact on me getting into DO schools however as the acceptances for that came well before finishing this program.
7) Anything else you'd like to add

Take advantage of the resources provided to you, get your face out there, develop your connections and get yourself known by the faculty and staff. Be nice to everyone because they will hopefully be your family for the next 4 years!

8) A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation)

A complete 5. The program helped me get into a US MD Medical school, where I would have never had a shot otherwise through the normal application process. Granted you have to be willing to shave a few years off your life and sell your soul, but hey, I'll be a doctor now ;).

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Hey all, this is for Rosalind Franklin University BMS (Biomedical Sciences Masters ) Program that has a linkage to all the professional schools at RFUMS, including Chicago Medical School (CMS).

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)

The program is structured to a certain extent, there is a great deal of organization in most aspects of the classes and schedules, but sometimes during exam weeks and other high stress times, you tend to notice the faults more often than not. The learning environment is great, the school is big in inter-professionalism, aka working with all the professional schools, however as a BMS student, little of that is experienced because of the amount of time you have to put into studying. Our school campus is open 365/24 7 which is a godsend for studying or holding review sessions. The cost is pretty hefty with tuition for the program around 48k. The location is crap, if you think you will be coming to "Chicago" to do your SMP, you are dead wrong, the school is in the north north part of Illinois/Chicago, closer to Milwaukee than Chicago. HOWEVER, because there is so little to do, you should have no distractions preventing you from studying and being successful. The faculty is great, majority of all professors here LOVE to teach and will gladly spend time with you if you have any questions, they are all brilliant in their respective fields. No joke, the program is incredibly difficult, at the end of it, I felt like it took away a couple of years off my life due to the amount of stress endured. BUT, everyone who put in the work every single day, was successful into either getting into med school or their respective professional school. Getting into the program is semi competitive, last year there were around 300-400 applications for around a 100 seats; once in the program, you dont compete against each other because you arent graded against each other; you are graded against M1 averages for exams. The other students in the program are very friendly, no one will ever turn you down if you need help, granted groups form and people tend to stick to their groups, most people know everyone else in the program. The buildings,classrooms,facilities are all decent at best, partly dated but the library has enough spots to study at and there school is surprisingly big even though its technically one building.

Here is the breakdown for the classes over the year.

Fall Quarter
Intro to Interprofessional Healthcare - very simple attendance based class
Clinical Molecular Cell Biology - memorization heavy medical school class where you are graded against the M1's
Medical Biochemistry - memorization/understanding heavy medical school class where you are graded against the M1's
Track Courses Option** - every BMS student selects a track, there is nutrition, leadership, health admin etc, that adds to your course load, most of the courses are online and require weekly assignments and end of term projects that can occur at inconvenient times.

Winter Quarter
Medical Physiology-A - medical school class graded against M1's
Topics in Physiology-A - special BMS class run by the Co-Chair of Admissions
Track Courses Option** 3-6

Spring Quarter
Medical Physiology-B
Topics in Physiology-B
Medical Neuroscience - Hell on earth, but fascinating medical school class graded against M1's
Track Courses Option**

As you can see, a lot of the courses fall over into the next quarter, Biochem fell over into winter and TIPS/HIPS is a year long obligation.

No one knows how much you have to study to do well in this program, most people think that they can up their undergraduate studying levels a little bit to be successful. However, you need to study every single day in order to beat the M1 average and get A's and B;s in the courses, which sounds a lot easier than it is. Know how to use ANKI because that will be a godsend for basically all the medical school classes. Develop a good routine that will stick with you when you get stressed and bogged down during finals, lifting, cooking, sleeping and dont sway from the schedule.

see above

If you have stats close enough to the averages posted on the RFUMS website, give the program a shot and apply, I think the app is 50 or 100$ and you have a decent % chance of getting into the program if you have a unique background or have shown a change in your performance academically.

It helped me get into an MD school, no doubt about that, I had 1 MD acceptance and that was from the RFUMS BMS program getting into Chicago Medical School. If you work hard, interview well, have the grades, and arent a terrible socially akward person, you have a high chance of matriculating into CMS or any of the professional schools at RFUMS. If you dont care about getting in to MD programs, this program in my opinion has little weight because a lack of name recognition along with the fact its hard for other schools to compare the RFU curriculum against their own. The program had no impact on me getting into DO schools however as the acceptances for that came well before finishing this program.

Take advantage of the resources provided to you, get your face out there, develop your connections and get yourself known by the faculty and staff. Be nice to everyone because they will hopefully be your family for the next 4 years!

8) A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation)

A complete 5. The program helped me get into a US MD Medical school, where I would have never had a shot otherwise through the normal application process. Granted you have to be willing to shave a few years off your life and sell your soul, but hey, I'll be a doctor now ;).

Thank you so much this was so helpful. Mind me asking what is ANKI?

Thank you so much this was so helpful. Mind me asking what is ANKI?
ANKI is a spaced repetition flashcard program that most med students use for their classes. It is incredibly useful and helpful and should cut down studying time immensely!

ANKI is a spaced repetition flashcard program that most med students use for their classes. It is incredibly useful and helpful and should cut down studying time immensely!

If you don't mind me asking what were your stats before entering the program, and the stats and GPA/MCAT you ended up with at the time of acceptance to CMS? I'm looking very closely at Rosalind's and Loyola's SMP, and wondering if it'll be worth the hefty tuition and stressful year. I'm applying to DO's this cycle, but I will also apply to some SMP's as well to keep my options open. Also thank you so much for the very thorough review, I'm sure it will help a lot of people!

Did anyone offer any insight for CSULA's postbacc for prehealth program?

Hampton University, MMS (completed): Current MS4

Specifically, Id like to see users here comment about

Pros
-small class size, personal attention, done by noon most days
-Cornelius Bondzi, a guy named Mark and Edmund Ndip, world class instructors
-not difficult to gain acceptance into program
-good for students who are self directed learners
-potentially a GPA booster
-definitely a unique HBCU experience
-possible pipelines to different professional schools, as Druitt has several relationships with admissions reps all over

Cons
-$$$$$$$$$$$...Hampton is a private school!
-"historical landmark" (i.e. old, some areas of campus could use a little sprucing up, but this was a non-issue for me)
-lack of oversight/continuity with staff (i.e. many days of showing up to class with no instructor)
-no guarantees during or after completion of program
-nepotism?
-lots of cheating, unfortunately
-lots of nickel and diming + time saps with the scheduled activities outside the classroom

LORDT! It's been too long...overall though:
Year 1: all MCAT prep, all the time; biochem, some sort of writing/verbal reasoning review, regular chem, all the basics
Year 2: Essentially week one of M1 over the span of a year, no joke.

-Michael Druitt *is the entire panel* for admissions and for your "chair's letter" received for professional school apps
-one must fend for oneself, in many capacities
-$$$
-Hampton University has a reputation for being a little funny with the money! Keep copies, take names, make a spreadsheet, something! Anecdotally, a friend of mine at the pharmacy school was almost removed from her program, on the grounds of nonpayment. She'd paid her dues for the semester but they were not documented in her records because the person responsible for doing so was out of town that week. Watch it!

-prepare to work independently
-prepare to hear people complain (erday)
-if you plan to cheat, remember that you still need to pass all your Steps, boards, certifications, etc
-look to your left and then to your right...2/3 of you may not take the expected trajectory after completion of this program.

Same old, apply early, keep it professional. I don't think I actually interviewed in person, but this may have changed since then. Prepare to pay extra for required textbooks, etc.

YES. I'm a non-traditional student who had been out of school for awhile and I was totally prepared to utilize this program to its fullest extent. A lot of people suggested that I turn down my acceptance, but good thing I don't listen to most people! I worked my butt off, maintaining full time employment for the duration and graduating with just under a 4.0. Didn't fall into any traps and got into medical school on the first try. God is good.

If I had to do it all over again, I would. The program really is what you make it. You can goof off and expect to be spoon fed but that definitely won't get you far, here or in life, right? I appreciate the opportunity to switch into beast mode and finish strong.

8) A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation) 3.5

I was wondering how VCOM post bacc, Drexel Pathway to Medicine and LECOM post bacc compare? Which would you recommend the most?

Has anyone had any experience with the Iowa State 1 year non degree program? I was referred to it by a medical school admissions director at my undergrad, but don't see very many posts on here about it.

I was wondering how VCOM post bacc, Drexel Pathway to Medicine and LECOM post bacc compare? Which would you recommend the most?
I've heard VCOM Post Bacc is hard but doable (I guess all Post-Baccs will be hard tbh). Seems like a good linkage program but not quite sure.

I've heard VCOM Post Bacc is hard but doable (I guess all Post-Baccs will be hard tbh). Seems like a good linkage program but not quite sure.

You should read our thread in the pre-DO forums regarding VCOM (dig just a page or so at most) as I've given updates there. I'd rate it at a 5 and would wager it's one of the best DO post baccs if not the best.

I haven't seen a post regarding the linkage of Rowan's Post bacc program to the DO school.

Does anyone know what is required to get into the DO program via the post bacc?

Any info would be appreciated.

The original 8 Special Master Programs (from 2006) are the ones you should be looking into, I would not consider NYMC unless you will get some state residency love. Reason being is that largely what makes a SMP beneficial is the rigor and program reputation.
Would you mind elaborating which are the original 8 SMPs?

Thanks!!

Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine Master of Biomedical Sciences; Completed. Recently accepted to MD Class of 2022

I have some free time so I figured I'd discuss GCSOM's MBS program for anyone considering. Please take all this information with a grain of salt as the program was recently (and pretty significantly) changed with regard to the curriculum and total program length. Anyone interested can visit GCSOM's website and see for themselves what the curriculum now consists of. Throughout my completion, the program was two (2) total semesters, fall and spring.

1. As mentioned above, the program used to be two (2) total semesters, fall and spring. Each of the fall and spring semesters consisted of eighteen (18) credits for a total of thirty-six (36) upon completion. Cost was relatively expensive as are most SMPs, with tuition and fees north of $50,000. I cannot comment on competitiveness of acceptance to the MBS as I have never really looked at the numbers. When I attended, the program was rather difficult. The difficulty was mostly with the amount of material required for each class and not so much with the material content itself. It certainly required an adjustment. Faculty were really awesome and very approachable. Nearly all were available at almost any time and were excited to help anyone looking for some extra study assistance. Most of the faculty are shared between the MD and MBS classes BUT they really did devote a lot of time to the MBS students; I never heard of any MBS students being pushed to the side to assist the MDs which is something I have heard about at other MBS hosting medical schools. Facilities and classrooms are top notch as the school is relatively new. Learning environment is A+; many MDs were past MBS and it wasn't difficult to get in touch with them for some advice when needed. Overall, the program was structured very well and seemed to really promote success.

2. Again, when I attended, the program was structured a little different than it is now. Fall consisted of Biochemistry (3), Physiology (3), Human Genetics (3), Epidemiology (3), Seminars in Biomedical Science (1), Histology - basics (2), Community Health Research (2), and Professional Development (1). The spring semester consisted of Cell Biology (3), Immunology (3), Pharmacology (3), Neuroscience (3), Histology - organ systems (2), Community Heath Research (2), Seminars in Biomedical Science (1), and Professional Development (1).

I won't waste time describing the three (3) credit courses as those speak for themselves; however, I can elaborate on the less universally-known courses.

Community Health Research was essentially a course designed to allow MBS students to complete a public health research project. The class is divided into small groups of 5-6 students and then assigned a data set. The data sets are from different US health organizations and are made up of real data without personal identifiers. Each group can then decide on a specific topic and are responsible for completing presentations to the class that describe the research project at different points throughout the semester. Semester one culminates in a research proposal and semester two culminates in a final research paper and poster presentation both to the class and at the annual research seminar at which time MBS students present along side the MD1s.

Seminars in Biomedical Science is essentially a presentation course where groups are assigned research articles and responsible for creating full class, ~50 minute presentations on said articles. When you are not presenting, you are listening to another group complete their presentation at which time you are responsible for answering questions based on the article being presented; questions are written by students.

Professional Development is essentially an information course that helps students who are preparing to apply to medical school, take the MCAT, and in addition, aid those who are planning for non-medical school related careers.

3. Something I wish I knew coming into the program was the difficulty and time-requirement. When I took the MBS, it was essentially like a year of medical school. The 3 credit courses covered in one semester what was often covered in a full year at most undergraduate institutions. There were many exams with most weeks having at least one, and some weeks have 2 or 3. The program is certainly not an easy grade booster and you really had to work and put in lots of time to do well. Some of the MDs used to say they felt bad for us with all the exams and projects we were responsible for. Lastly, there are non-academic requirements. For Professional Development, you we required to acquire a minimum number of activities that are designed to be placed on a medical school application. However, it was encouraged that you don't just choose "check-box" activities but rather that you get involved with activities you are actually interested in that you can do throughout the entirety of the MBS and possibly after graduation as well. During my MBS year, I found a non-profit that I began to volunteer with that I still occasionally volunteer with to this date. The point of this last portion of the review is just to highlight the fact that with all the time requirements to do well in the courses, you also need to devote some time to volunteering, etc. The GCSOM MBS really is a full-time program; comparing it to a year of medical school really isn't an exaggeration (just ask the post-MBS MDs).

4. You will learn a lot and feel really prepared to begin medical school upon completion of the program. Many of the MD students who did not take the MBS program used to comment on how those who did take the MBS program had a much easier time adjusting to the rigors of medical school.

5. Unfortunately I cannot comment on applying to the program. I was accepted through an alternate pathway - I was waitlisted for the MD program which grants you automatic acceptance to the MBS program w/o application requirements.

6. YES, GCSOM Class of 2022! Also, I see many SDN posters ask about SMPs that often lead to an acceptance to medical school. I always find it funny that no one really ever mentions GCSOM, I guess likely because it is a newer program. Many students were accepted to both MD and DO programs from my class, both those who applied during the MBS and a year following. GCSOM also takes a relatively decent amount of students directly from the MBS, primarily those who perform well (obviously). An interview is guaranteed if you meet the criteria BUT please note, the criteria includes requirements from undergrad, not only from your performance in the MBS. I did not meet the guaranteed interview undergraduate requirements and I was still granted an interview based on my MBS performance.

7. I thought the program was really, really great. Many of the professors were really top-notch and one specifically is known nationally for his research in medical school teaching methods and outcomes. The student body was also really cool and both the MBS and MD students were wonderful. I would recommend the GCSOM MBS to anyone looking to improve their chances for medical school.

8. 5 - Full Recommendation.

Again, I wish to reiterate that all this must be taken lightly as the program changed significantly since my graduation. However, I figured it couldn't hurt to give my experience as even though the curriculum changed, I would imagine the positive atmosphere very much remains the same. If anyone has any questions about the GCSOM MBS, please feel free to message me here on SDN as I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can!

Reactions: 4 users
This is probably a stretch, or a dream :D, but has anyone been through a postbacc (specifically career changer) program where they felt as if there was more helpfulness than competition between their classmates? I apologize if someone has emphasized this in their post. I did read most of the posts but not every single one of them.

Rutgers New Brunswick (RWJ) MBS

Pros
  • Cost is relatively reasonable for SMP especially if you're in-state. I was OOS and had ~40k for one year
  • You do not take classes with medical students and are not graded against them. This can be a positive, as it lessens pressure and competitiveness
  • Most students were friendly and I often studied with a group; very few with a gunner mentality. Other students will be curious about each other's grades but competitiveness was less than at my undergrad.
  • Faculty are mostly solid and almost all teach within MD program
  • Exams, for the most part, are fair and faculty are approachable
  • Classes are modeled on MD content and lectures; content will help with B/B on MCAT
  • Program directors are approachable and will work with you though it will require being proactive on your part
  • Unique USAID research abroad experience students can apply to
  • Some interesting elective classes available with smaller class size (~15)
  • MBS students get to dissect cadavers in anatomy lab, not just look at a protection, so it's a cool experience!
Cons
  • Seems to have decent rep in the northeast but not sure about standing of program outside region; newer program unlike Newark MBS which has been around longer
  • Program directors get increasingly harder to reach as the term progresses. Often will not respond to emails. If you want to take advantage of advising, you will have to seek them out in person.
  • Quality of instruction and organization of material in the second term was occasionally lacking
  • Linkage with medical school seems to only benefit IS students
  • Class size seems to be increasing as time passes, decreasing personalized attention
  • A mentor list was provided for research-focused capstone project but most mentors on list were no longer interested in being involved; admin should have been more proactive and organized with respect to this, as many students had difficulty finding mentors
  • Grades are probably more inflated at this program than other SMPs, so I dont know how that would be perceived by MD admissions.
  • Campus is in suburban location so not much to do in immediate location

There is no grade deflation (above a 90 average = A). If needed, cutoffs are used wherein a certain percentage of the class receives As. I personally had a 4.0 in the program. The following are core classes:
  • Physiologic Basis of Disease
    • One of the more challenging classes in the program, as it required application of physiologic concepts. Approximately 20% of class gets an A
  • Microbiology and Immunology
    • Fairly straightforward class that requires mostly memorization. I would estimate that 30-50% received As
  • Cell Structure and Function
    • Also straightforward and requires mostly memorization (lots of minutiae). Approximately 20% receive As
  • Gross Anatomy
    • Fairly straightforward (a little bit of application of concepts) with practical and written MCQ exams. MCQ exams, in my opinion, were too easy (given the material we had to learn) and had some badly written questions. I would estimate that 30-50% received As
  • Pharmacotherapeutics
    • Hardest class by far with unclear expectations, unclear grading, and subpar instruction (largely due to course director). Grading was supposed to follow a scale of 90+ = A, 80-89.5 = B+, 70-79.5 = B but after no one received above 90 on the final, I believe there must have been some curve or change to how As would be given (I was 0.1 points away from being rounded to an A but ended up receiving an A). The change was never clarified though. Questions were often badly written (especially on online quizzes) and quite a few questions on the final were on material we were not responsible for. Everyone indicated they would be giving a negative eval of class so changes may be on the horizon. I would guess that 10-20% received As.
  • Medical Biochemistry
    • Moderately challenging class that requires some application of concepts. Obscene amount of extra credit and easy points (TBL -team based learning activities). I would estimate that 30-50% received As.
  • Capstone I and II
    • Personal research project. If you do the work and hit the deadlines, you will get an A.
A variety of electives (not all science focused) also exist. In summary, as one can tell by the grade distributions, it is not hard to get a 3.5+ in the program, especially since the grading scale intends to give a majority of the class B/B+ (3.0/3.5 at Rutgers). If I had to guess, the average GPA in the program is probably a 3.5-3.6 (especially since electives and capstone are usually As). Getting a 3.8+ is more difficult though a fair number of students hit that mark. So, unlike Georgetown's SMP, where getting a 3.4 is impressive and can get you into an MD, a 3.4 in this program is DO tier.

I wish I knew that the linkage offered by the program is mainly for IS students and that RWJMS has a strong IS bias. The MBS has something called AAP (Accelerated Application Program), which allows students who performed well their first term in the SMP (3.7+ though it could be higher depending on the year) to do a late interview for RWJMS. Note that this is not a guaranteed acceptance but only a guaranteed interview. Approximately 3-5 students will get in through this route and as far as I know, only IS students got in the year I applied. During my year in the program, approximately 5 other students go into RWJMS through regular cycle, and I believe that most, if not all, were also IS. I have no regrets though, as my performance in the program allowed me to get in to MD schools (I applied upon completion of MBS).

If the only thing missing on your app is a strong GPA and you have no red flags (IAs, criminal record, inadequate volunteering, inadequate clinical experience, bad MCAT, bad recs, etc), doing well in this program will get you into an MD program (assuming your uGPA was not <3.0 in which case you may be screened out regardless of SMP performance). Deficiencies in some aspects of your app (like MCAT) coupled with solid-strong performance in program is likely to be enough for DO programs.

• Apply to med schools after you complete your SMP. Waiting for first semester grades to come in will make you late if you apply the year of. Applying after will also allow you to take advantage of the committee letter the MBS provides. For me personally, my committee letter from undergrad (largely as a result of weaker performance and immaturity) was likely weak, so having a fresh start gave me an opportunity to get stronger recs and establish a stronger impression. If you have major deficiencies in your app, dont apply to med schools until you have addressed them. Good performance in the program alone will not help you.
  • If you can get the MCAT out of the way before the SMP, do so. There wont be enough time to adequately prepare for MCAT while you are taking what are essentially med school classes. Second term in the MBS was tough, not only because of classes but also my efforts to improve me overall app through ECs, so I didn't study as much for my MCAT as I wanted. I ended up performing very well (515-520) but didn't I had done that well after the exam.
  • I dont think the advising within the program is all that strong so the insight the program directors provided may be info you already know. It's really on you to figure out your deficiencies and seek out the opportunities to improve as an applicant. I did a lot of self-directed work to improve my app besides doing well in the program (especially volunteering and research)
  • Study regularly and dont procrastinate!

Yes, it certainly did. I have received 9 MD IIs so far out of ~40 secondary applications and 3 DO IIs out of 4 completed secondaries. I have attended 5 MD IIs and received 2 acceptances, 2 waitlists, and 1 hold. Interestingly enough, I got a pre-II rejection from RWJMS despite my strong performance in the SMP (4.0) though I probably should have expected it given my OOS status. Ultimately though, as someone who had 1 II over two previous cycles, if I told myself at the beginning of the cycle that I would received 9 MD IIs, I would have laughed in disbelief.

The USAID research abroad program, if it is still offered, is a wildcard factor. If you go to this MBS, I highly recommend applying to it, as it is not only a great experience but it also comes up often at interviews.

3.5 (if OOS); 4 (if IS)

All in all, it's a solid program. There are more recognized and practical SMPs out there so if you are an OOS, you might be better off going elsewhere. I was also accepted to Tufts MBS (where if I had matriculated, would have done their combined MBS/MBA) and early on in the cycle (before the barrage of IIs and an eventual acceptance), wondered if I should have gone there, but my first acceptance erased my growing doubt.

Last edited:
This is probably a stretch, or a dream :D, but has anyone been through a postbacc (specifically career changer) program where they felt as if there was more helpfulness than competition between their classmates? I apologize if someone has emphasized this in their post. I did read most of the posts but not every single one of them.

As I mentioned in my review of my program above, there was generally a friendly atmosphere at my SMP. I often engaged in study groups and exchanged notes with others. While there was competition, I would characterize it as the friendly and helpful kind. The friendliness may have actually gone to an extreme level, as some students were caught cheating lol. I know this doesn't actually answer your question, as my program isn't a postbac, but others may find this info useful.

USF Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences

Pros
  • If you are in-state, very affordable
  • You are literally doing everything the first year medical students are doing. You attend the same lectures, labs, take the same tests, work in the same groups. The only thing you miss out on is the Doctoring I class.
  • Along with the above point, you know exactly how you stack up against already matriculated medical students. If you think you got what it takes, you will know by the end of this program.
  • A point that I loved about this program is the anatomy lab. You take the lab with the MDs, not the PTs. Although the lab structure wasn't great, we got to do a full cadaver lab, which is another advantage this program offers a future medical student.
  • The new downtown campus is going to be awesome (opening up in 2019 I think). Current facilities are a con.
  • Faculty care about how well you do and are happy to help. Some might not be the highest caliber lecturer, but there are plenty of resources available to make the ends meet.
  • You have a summer "warm-up" course that is a bunch of group-based learning that gradually increases in difficulty until the first course starts, so you will be primed to do well from the beginning.
  • Our cohort of Master's students are small (compared to the other masters program at USF that is around 250 from what they tell me) so there is an opportunity to unite together to do well.
  • If you are willing to explore, Tampa has a ton to offer.
  • If you have a low MCAT, the program offers an MCAT class at the end of the last course to prep you for the test in the summer. If you fall in that category, you will take a gap year.

Cons
  • Like any SMP, if you do poorly here, it is like the last bullet in the chamber.
  • As noted above, current facilities leave much to be desired.
  • There is a temptation to feel envious of the matriculated students you take classes with. Don't feel jealous. They earned their spot; you are earning yours.
  • It's medical school, so it is difficult.
  • Communication with our program is real bad.
  • No more conditional acceptance as of 2017.
In between
  • The PT students take many classes with you, which you may love or hate. I was personally indifferent to it, except for how much they eat at events with free food.
  • USF does the curriculum where you do almost no micro, pharm, or path the first year. Largely teaches how the body systems ought to work, with some disorders that reinforce that idea. I only think this matters in rare occasions and dependent on what your medical program turns out to be in the future.

• Intro to Medical Sciences - This is the summer warm-up course and prepares you for the rest of the year. The last half of summer is essentially 3 weeks of lectures you will be getting at some point your first year, so a great opportunity to grasp some conceptual ideas and get a great grade. The beginning part of the course is only with your fellow masters students and the last half is with a small portion of your future classmates from DPT and MD.
  • Cancer Bio/Musculoskeletal System - First course and this is with the medical students. I would call this the easiest medical course you take. Basically is MSK plus biochemistry.
  • Neuroscience - Also with medical students. I hate neuro and probably overperformed what I deserved. So taking that into consideration, this course was an absolute home wrecker.
  • Christmas break
  • Ethics - this is only with IMS. Easy A.
  • Cardio/Pulm - With medical students. Many people I spoke with who hated neuro loved this course, and vice versa. Not sure if it is universal or just this program, but there it is.
  • GI/Renal/Endocrine - With medical students. Currently beginning this block, but the second years say this is somewhat better than neuro and cardio/pulm.

• I assumed I would need a gap year even though I had a competitive MCAT. I don't think my peers had that expectation - many hoped on getting in somewhere the same cycle.
  • Besides the obvious part of performing well, last chance, etc., understand that everything you learn is making you a better medical student in the future. A short-sighted, when-is-the-next-test mindset will grind you down. Have the longitudinal view that, as a future physician, you are learning crucial facts and equipping needed tools to treat patients, even if you aren't one of the MD candidates.
  • Some people are selected after they already apply to USF, but I emailed specifically regarding the program and got the application. The program is really seeking individuals from diverse backgrounds or had obstacles to overcome in their past. If you fit that mold, make sure it is part of your application.
  • I think it got me over the hump to get into medical school; I went from no interviews to getting accepted.
  • In the state of Florida, the price point is enough of a reason to go. If you are out of state, GET A JOB HERE. There are so many medical schools in Florida. Probably more than your home state save two. Take advantage of moving here and accept a gap year.
  • Personally this program was a 5, but from what I hear from my peers who hoped to get in this cycle and did not, they would give a 3.5-4.

I'll be doing a writeup of the Tulane Anatomy Certification & Leadership Program, just to update things as the last one was from a number of years ago.

**Something a little different about this program is that it requires you to be waitlisted at a U.S. accredited medical school in order to apply.

tl;dr You will take gross anatomy alongside the current M1's, and will be expected to beat their average. Doing so will grant you an interview, hopefully acceptance into next year's M1 class, and a responsibility to TA the following year's M1 gross anatomy labs. 17 out of 17 of us this year were offered acceptances to Tulane SOM. More info and application instructions can be found at tulaneaclp.com

Pros:
  • The linkage rate is ridiculously high. (100% from the 2017-18 class, 87% from the 2016-17 class)
  • As long as you beat the average in gross anatomy and don't step on anyone's toes, it is almost guaranteed that you will get the interview (and acceptance).
  • Similar to a number of SMP/Postbac's, you are taking identical courses and identical lectures to the current M1 class. Same buildings, same labs. You are even mixed in the cadaver lab groups with them (5/6 M1's, 1 ACLP student per group). You will dissect with them, you will study with them, you will hang out with them, you are not isolated into a "separate program" by any means.
  • Following ending anatomy in October you get to actually relax a bit and just take histology without the beating-the-average requirement (just don't fail).
  • Tuition is $15,500, which seems to be much cheaper than other 1-year programs.
  • You're in New Orleans. Food is lit.

Cons:
  • You're in New Orleans, and school is two blocks away from the French Quarter. It will be loud nearly all the time. Drunk people will be twerking at the streetcar stops and shouting at each other until the sun rises. Depending on where you are, it will be varying levels of dangerous to be out on your own. Consider bringing a car and grabbing a parking pass to get to school safely when you inevitably need to come in after sunset to study as many cadavers as you can.
  • Rent in the school area could be pricey to some. It is cheaper as you leave the downtown area where school is, but you will probably need a car the further out you go.
  • Tulane should be your number one choice. The strength of this program really is internal. To compare, of the 9 people from our class that applied to other schools this cycle, 6 received interviews and 2 received a acceptances at other institutions (as of 5/18/18).
  • Because ACLP is run by the department that teaches anatomy, it technically doesn't qualify for any traditional federal grants or loans. So that $15,500 must either come out of pocket, or from a private loan.
  • You need a waitlist to apply. For the majority of people looking at a Postbac/SMP, you probably won't qualify.
  • You will need to re-apply to Tulane via AMCAS basically as soon as you get in. Like, you will hear back from ACLP in June, and then you will need to submit your AMCAS, secondaries, etc. before you move down in August. You do NOT want to be writing essays alongside anatomy.
  • M1's at Tulane used to take multiple classes alongside anatomy in the fall, and it was relatively easy for ACLP students to beat the average since they only had to focus on gross anatomy. This has since changed, and now you will be expected to keep up with them while they only have their extra Foundations in Medicine "doctoring" class.
  • This program is stressful af. I liken it to pledging Greek Life in undergrad. You will go through the most heinous ten weeks of your academic career as a "visiting scholar" on your ID card with one foot in the door, one foot out. You're not allowed in the medical school lounge, but you're given keys to a study room on the third floor with no windows. Impostor syndrome will definitely start to settle in and it's really important to take some time for self-care alongside all the effort you're putting into anatomy. If you can keep your head up and not just survive but excel, it'll definitely be worth it.

• Gross Anatomy - You will go through nearly a thousand pages of Grey's Anatomy in ten weeks. It will be a lot. Consider buying the workbook too, because you will be doing practice questions for days.
  • Developmental Anatomy - Embryo lectures represent a smaller, yet nonetheless significant portion, of exam material. There is neither a dissection lab nor formal textbook to teach you the material outside of lectures, so your best bet to get good at the material is going to class and hitting up secondary resources for practice questions.
  • Radiological Anatomy - An important skill for any medical student. This usually gets worked into weekly quizzes and problem-solving sessions you work on with your lab group in lieu of dissection every Friday. Shows up on exams like the rest.
  • Histology - Following anatomy (October) until interview (March), really not a big deal since you're taking 1/4 of the integrated curriculum that the other M1's are taking. You don't need to beat the average, but don't fail it outright. You can probably survive with just the textbook for this class. Also you get to live a little during this time.

• If you have a relationship serious enough that you would like to continue throughout medical school and the future, be prepared to educate your girlfriend/boyfriend/fiancé/e about this program and potentially put things on the back burner: long-distance or otherwise.
  • Aside from using your summertime to cram your AMCAS in, get yourself in a healthy rhythm of working out, taking care of your mental health, cooking for yourself, and anything that would keep you on a healthy schedule while your academic life is going through this crucible. Also binge your watchlist of Netflix shows before anatomy starts. To quote my friend "Stranger Things season 2 will be waiting for you after the shelf exam."
  • Even if you're an older/non-traditional student, please apply! The average age of our program and TUSOM c/o 2021 is 24. Also don't be put off when applying for this program because you need to do things like send money orders through the mail since Tulane won't let you pay ACLP tuition electronically (there also used to be a lack of information about the program available online but that has since changed with the new website). This program is run entirely by one department and they are busy people! We (next year's TA's) are really excited to help you guys succeed and are available for any questions anytime. Also feel free to check out this year's application thread for more discussion. Tulane ACLP 2018-2019
  • Yes 100000000%. I went from 26 rejections and 1 II to an acceptance and an opportunity to TA in just one year.
  • See below for a personal review from a classmate of mine in the 2018-2019 ACLP thread.
Hey everyone.

I'm a current ACLP student who wanted to put together this unofficial guide for any prospective students. Sorry for the long post, but imo it's better to be as informed as possible when choosing an SMP bc it sucks being in that position when in waitlist purgatory. I wish I saw this kind of post before coming to the ACLP last fall. As far as I know, all 17/17 ACLP students who interviewed at Tulane med three weeks ago just got our Tulane med acceptances yesterday. #TYBG #MoreLife

*** DISCLAIMER: THIS IS ALL BASED ON MY EXPERIENCES INTERSPERSED WITH A FEW ANECDOTES FROM OTHER CURRENT ACLP STUDENTS. PLEASE DO TAKE EVERYTHING I SAY WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. ***

To elaborate on the stats Austinerino gave in his prior post
Dr. Rowan - the head of the Tulane Structural and Cell Bio (SCB) Dept and thus the head of the Tulane ACLP since we're students under the SCB dept - led a new ACLP student orientation and said that 38 people applied to the program. Also, to my best knowledge, the ratio of MD to DO waitlist letters was 16 to 1 (I'm not sure about the guy who left at the start of the program), and almost all of us went to at least a top 50 USNWR National or top 50 Liberal Arts school. Most of us majored in a hard science too. I'm not saying you won't get in if you don't meet these criteria, but just want to give an accurate picture of our class.​

ACLP Timeline
May to first week of August

Make sure to submit your application following the instructions on the ACLP website (I can't post links until I reach 10 posts). You'll hear back about a month after the deadline, and if accepted, will have to mail a $250 check to the SCB as a deposit since they don't accept Paypal/credit card/wire transfers. Idk why tho. Just FYI, ACLP DOES NOT QUALIFY for traditional school loans or continuing education loans because you're under the SCB dept and not the school of medicine. Though idk the details, a friend of mine in the ACLP got a bank loan, but please do speak with our secretary Shannon when the time comes. Orientation week starts last week of August where you meet the SCB staff and give your $16K ish tuition in check form for the same reasons as the deposit. You also sign an agreement that states you will TA Gross anatomy if you get accepted and ultimately attend Tulane med in the fall.​
Rest of August to early November

You take Gross, Developmental, and Radiological Anatomy, where you learn gross anatomy, pertinent embryology topics, and how to read X Ray, CT, and MRI scans. There are daily 8 AM lectures, which are optional, but they might help you with the day's dissection. Daily dissections are mandatory from 9 AM to 11 AM-12 PM ish depending on your lab director. The amount of information you have to learn throughout anatomy is similar to that in 11 weeks of an accelerated Organic chem I/II or Biochem I/II class plus the respective labs. Like in orgo or biochem where you have to know more than just chemical structure, there's more than memorizing structures to excel in gross anatomy. To get above average, it would do you well to memorize origins/insertions, actions of all the muscles, clinical correlations, spatial organization, and a touch of physiology as well. Reading the first few chapters a the weeks before class starts will help, but anything more than that will be a waste of your time. However, there are high yield things that you should be focusing on, so you not only have to study hard, but study smart. You have to score at or above the T1 (Tulane's version of M1) average to have a good shot at an interview. Also, don't disrespect anyone - students, faculty, staff, or anyone. T1's write peer evals of you and lab directors speak about you individually in TA meetings, so having the reputation of being creepy, childish, socially inept, annoying, etc. will hurt your chances of admission.​
Rest of November to late March

You'll only be taking Medical Histology, which is far less rigorous and has a significantly smaller time commitment than gross anatomy. This grade really doesn't play a role in your admission unless you fail it. Thus, there will be a lot of free time to pursue other interests. During that time, you could get involved with research within the SCB dept/Tulane SOM/LSU's University Medical Center (UMC), various jobs, volunteering at various events, or something else productive - you just want to have something to talk about during potential interviews (Tulane's will be in March). The interview day is pretty low stress; it consists of an intro presentation about Tulane, a standardized patient (SP) exercise with the SP being a current T1/T2, a faculty interview, a student interview during lunch, and finally a tour of the medical school campus. This year, all 17 of us got interviews and there was one other non-ACLP student who interviewed alongside us. You'll probably get your decision letters soon after Histology ends in late March and then the program will be done.​

Life in NOLA
Weather

The nice part about NOLA is the warm, tropical weather. However, it did get as cold as 30º F and flooding does occur in certain parts of the city (my friend parked his newly leased car in from of his house only to find water up to the hood during a crazy flash flood from a tropical storm). Winters are nice (60º to 70º F), but summers are brutal with 80ºF with 90% humidity.​

Housing

Central Business District (CBD)
Deming is the Tulane grad student housing connected to the Tulane hospital in the CBD. The major pro is that it's super convenient for getting to class. The major con is that it looks a lot like a typical undergrad dorm. However, if you do choose Deming, do make sure to pay month-by-month and not to sign a year's lease just in case you want to travel home after the ACLP ends. Rent is about $900/mo for a single room I think, but do check the website since I didn't live there. Apartments in the CBD such as Elk Place, the California Building, 925 Common, 930 Poydras, and Four Winds are other options. They're all within half a mile to the Tulane hospital and most of them are super nice. Rent is a little on the pricey side for NOLA with $1200 for a studio at the cheapest. People do bring their cars and live in the CBD, but it's totally possible to get away without one if you live here, which is another major pro. Though there is a risk everywhere of getting mugged/shot in NOLA, I just want to warn you that the CBD isn't a safe area at night. However, there's adequate security around to curb most crime. You'll thus probs be hearing police sirens and people yelling in the streets at odd hours of the night depending on where in the CBD you live (I hang out at my friend's place in the CBD a lot and I can confirm that the CBD is loud). Finally, you're going to be super close to Mardi Gras parades which is both awesome and a pain due to drunk tourists and traffic.

Uptown
A decent number people live in the Broadmoor neighborhood (including me) within a mile from the Tulane undergrad campus. The main pros are that it's quiet and rent is cheaper ($300-$900 per month depending on where you live). The main con is that you will definitely need a car here to get groceries and to get to school, but you can walk/bike 15 min to the undergrad football stadium, where a Tulane bus can shuttle you to and from the downtown med school campus. 10-15 min drive to the med school. Also we didn't get any flooding during the tropical storm and we still had water when it got shut off in the CBD/Lower Garden District.

Lower Garden District (LGD)
A lot of med students live here - especially in an apt complex called The Saulet. There are other options such as The Georgian, but I can't recall any more from the top of my head. Rent is similar to the CBD, and you'll probs need a car here depending where you live; however, a car will make life a lot easier. The Tulane bus to and from the med school campus also stops nearby the Georgian if you don't have a car. 10-15 min drive to the med school.

Mid-City
Rent is very similar to Uptown and you'll need to have a car if you live here. I don't think the Tulane bus stops in mid city though. The main con is flooding - I mentioned my friend's car being totalled in a tropical storm and it was parked in mid city when the flood happened. However, there are a lot of great restaurants in Mid-City and you're close to City Park, which is super nice. About 5-15 min drive to Tulane med

Marigny
Very few med students live here, but rent is similar to Uptown/Mid City. You're also super close to Frenchman Street, which is the party street for locals. Marigny is super hipster too. However, it's a 20-25 min ish commute to the med school so you'll def need a car here. Can't really say too much since I haven't spent as much time in friend's houses here as the other places.

French Quarter
Idk anyone who lives here bc rent is mad expensive and the area is loud af and filled with tourists all the time. Probs not the best for someone serious about school.
Mardi Gras

Lots of parades and revelry. Tulane med's spring break also corresponds to the Mardi Gras week. Get ready for lots of traffic due to road closings.​
Applying to Other Med Schools
About half of us applied to other MD/DO schools while about half just applied to Tulane. Out of those 9 or so people who applied to other schools, there were about 7 interviews that led to 6 waitlists and 1 acceptance. Thus, only one person got into an MD school other than Tulane. I only applied to Tulane, so this is all I can say about the process.​

To give a personal testimony of the program -
Tl;dr: I wanted to get into any allopathic med school as I reapplied. I also wanted to go to Tulane med and TA gross anatomy if given the chance. The ACLP is NOT A SCAM and is a legit post-bacc with a linkage - though not guaranteed - to Tulane med. Anatomy can get pretty gnarly bc you have to give up all your free time to studying, but prior preparation prevents poor performance and leads to your eventual acceptance unless you piss off people at Tulane med and/or have a felony or misdemeanor. The T1 class and Tulane professors are very supportive and want to see you succeed. Be prepared to have relationship problems if you are going to make it long-distance. If given the choice among a bunch of the SMP's, I would do this program 100% of the time, every time because it helped me get into med school. Idk what to say about the other SMP's bc I have never experienced them.

My goal was to get in medical school no matter what. If that is your goal, then the ACLP is your best choice if you are confident that you can hustle like you never have before and push through the anatomy portion. Tbh the ACLP is an unspoken conditional acceptance unless you bomb anatomy, have or get a felony or misdemeanor (more than MIP on your record), disrespect or annoy someone at Tulane, or have the grossest of your character flaws come out during your interview. So it's up to you to stay vigilant during the year and you'll see the good news come March.

Also, my parents and I were super sketched out about me coming to Tulane because of the lack of info about the ACLP and not being able to pay tuition electronically. Most ACLP students felt the same way. I know that I'm an internet stranger with Sanic the Hedgehog as my prof pic (Gotta go fast), but this program is NOT A SCAM and is meant to help you get into medical school - particularly Tulane since they get to have more gross anatomy TA's for the incoming T1 class.

I'm gonna keep it real here - the anatomy portion of the ACLP is best described as the summer camp from hell, but it'll be worth it once you get the acceptance in the spring. You'll have to go through about 200+ pages of anatomy (Gray's anatomy plus the dissection manual) with 8 hours ish of lectures a week. I'd also like to mention hours of extra lab time you'll be spending every day to elucidate all the structures. You will be sleeping late from studying and waking up early to go to dissection. Even so, you might not even be caught up with the topics for the day. If you go out to party one weekend or get lazy and decide not to get ahead in the reading, be prepared to see your exam grades in the dumpster - even taking one weekend off and not getting ahead, I scored 5 points less than my other tests. Also be ready to explain to your significant other that you need to prioritize school and then see that relationship just go sour just because they don't understand that you're too stressed, tired, and under so much pressure to devote time to them. Breaking up with your bf/gf will seriously affect your studying. However, the T1 class and the fellow ACLP students are very supportive and will help you push through this difficult time. Though you're not technically part of Tulane med, you're integrated into the Tulane med and I met some of my best friends from my lab room. The students and professors want to see you succeed and will help you out if needed. In the end, the ACLP's purpose is for students to prove that they can overcome past and present obstacles in order to excel in medical school. Excellent performance in gross anatomy comes from persistence and preparation.

There were 3 people who teetering at the average and were below at some point (edited this part since I was misinformed). All respect and no shade to them, but based on my observations, they scored poorly due to a mix of long-term relationship issues and/or procrastination when it came to studying. I'm ecstatic they'll be joining me next year since they're my friends, but geez, if you can save all that grief by staying ahead on material and working hard during the anatomy, then the post-anatomy part of the ACLP would be a lot more bearable. You don't want to waste your parent's money, your time, or the opportunity for a serious student to do the ACLP by slacking, scoring below average, and not getting interviewed by Tulane med.
Hope this guide helps. Please DM me for more info or questions, but tbh I won't know anything about your chances of admission to the ACLP or chances of med school admission from other SMP's since I didn't do them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome thank you for the information and congratulations on all your hard work and your acceptance to medical school. Would you be willing to share your mcat score?

USF Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences

Pros
  • If you are in-state, very affordable
  • You are literally doing everything the first year medical students are doing. You attend the same lectures, labs, take the same tests, work in the same groups. The only thing you miss out on is the Doctoring I class.
  • Along with the above point, you know exactly how you stack up against already matriculated medical students. If you think you got what it takes, you will know by the end of this program.
  • A point that I loved about this program is the anatomy lab. You take the lab with the MDs, not the PTs. Although the lab structure wasn't great, we got to do a full cadaver lab, which is another advantage this program offers a future medical student.
  • The new downtown campus is going to be awesome (opening up in 2019 I think). Current facilities are a con.
  • Faculty care about how well you do and are happy to help. Some might not be the highest caliber lecturer, but there are plenty of resources available to make the ends meet.
  • You have a summer "warm-up" course that is a bunch of group-based learning that gradually increases in difficulty until the first course starts, so you will be primed to do well from the beginning.
  • Our cohort of Master's students are small (compared to the other masters program at USF that is around 250 from what they tell me) so there is an opportunity to unite together to do well.
  • If you are willing to explore, Tampa has a ton to offer.
  • If you have a low MCAT, the program offers an MCAT class at the end of the last course to prep you for the test in the summer. If you fall in that category, you will take a gap year.

Cons
  • Like any SMP, if you do poorly here, it is like the last bullet in the chamber.
  • As noted above, current facilities leave much to be desired.
  • There is a temptation to feel envious of the matriculated students you take classes with. Don't feel jealous. They earned their spot; you are earning yours.
  • It's medical school, so it is difficult.
  • Communication with our program is real bad.
  • No more conditional acceptance as of 2017.
In between
  • The PT students take many classes with you, which you may love or hate. I was personally indifferent to it, except for how much they eat at events with free food.
  • USF does the curriculum where you do almost no micro, pharm, or path the first year. Largely teaches how the body systems ought to work, with some disorders that reinforce that idea. I only think this matters in rare occasions and dependent on what your medical program turns out to be in the future.

• Intro to Medical Sciences - This is the summer warm-up course and prepares you for the rest of the year. The last half of summer is essentially 3 weeks of lectures you will be getting at some point your first year, so a great opportunity to grasp some conceptual ideas and get a great grade. The beginning part of the course is only with your fellow masters students and the last half is with a small portion of your future classmates from DPT and MD.
  • Cancer Bio/Musculoskeletal System - First course and this is with the medical students. I would call this the easiest medical course you take. Basically is MSK plus biochemistry.
  • Neuroscience - Also with medical students. I hate neuro and probably overperformed what I deserved. So taking that into consideration, this course was an absolute home wrecker.
  • Christmas break
  • Ethics - this is only with IMS. Easy A.
  • Cardio/Pulm - With medical students. Many people I spoke with who hated neuro loved this course, and vice versa. Not sure if it is universal or just this program, but there it is.
  • GI/Renal/Endocrine - With medical students. Currently beginning this block, but the second years say this is somewhat better than neuro and cardio/pulm.

• I assumed I would need a gap year even though I had a competitive MCAT. I don't think my peers had that expectation - many hoped on getting in somewhere the same cycle.
  • Besides the obvious part of performing well, last chance, etc., understand that everything you learn is making you a better medical student in the future. A short-sighted, when-is-the-next-test mindset will grind you down. Have the longitudinal view that, as a future physician, you are learning crucial facts and equipping needed tools to treat patients, even if you aren't one of the MD candidates.
  • Some people are selected after they already apply to USF, but I emailed specifically regarding the program and got the application. The program is really seeking individuals from diverse backgrounds or had obstacles to overcome in their past. If you fit that mold, make sure it is part of your application.
  • I think it got me over the hump to get into medical school; I went from no interviews to getting accepted.
  • In the state of Florida, the price point is enough of a reason to go. If you are out of state, GET A JOB HERE. There are so many medical schools in Florida. Probably more than your home state save two. Take advantage of moving here and accept a gap year.
  • Personally this program was a 5, but from what I hear from my peers who hoped to get in this cycle and did not, they would give a 3.5-4.
es

Awesome thank you for the information and congratulations on all your hard work and your acceptance to medical school. Would you be willing to share your mcat score?

es
511/3.2/2.8 pre program. Graduate GPA 3.8

511/3.2/2.8 pre program. Graduate GPA 3.8
Thank you, I recently got a 506 so I’m going to retake it next month. Using Kaplan now used exam krackers last time. Did any particular method or company work for you. And thank you again for paying it forward and reaching out to me

Has anyone rated UIC (university of illinois, chicago)'s MSMP program? I only found one very short thread on their program (comparing it to Loyola).

Has anyone rated CSU's (Colorado State University's) MSBS program? I can't really find anything about it. Specifically interested in a comparison to the MSBS program at Regis University in Denver. Thanks!

UPenn Post-Bac

Pros: very challenging classes, some professors were great, you get a lot of events to help you

Cons: very challenging classes, since you're LPS you're stuck with less resources than undergrads, the advising is horrible

Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science Biomedical Sciences, or BMS program.

*Disclaimer, the program is changing a bit this year. In years past, BMS students took the same exact courses as first year medical students. Now, BMS students will have their own courses without any medical students. This is not said to change the linkage (usually 60-70% of people get into CMS) to RFUMS's medical school (The Chicago Medical School/CMS), but just have this in mind. You will still be taught by the same medical school professors though, many of which serve on the admissions committee board. The reasoning for this is because CMS is changing its own curriculum into a systems based curriculum. BMS students from now on will pretty much be taking 70-80% of the same exact curriculum as first year medical students that started before the year 2018.

Pros:
Structure of the program is perfect. It definitely gives you a taste of how difficult medical school is going to be, and how much time you will need to put in for success. You have class for about 3 hours a day, Monday through Friday. New material is taught until the day before an exam (that kinda sucks, but that's what happens in med school).
Learning environment/Location is very suitable for studying since North Chicago is not Chicago, it is another city of its own about 45 minutes away from the city of Chicago. There is nothing to do here except study since it's pretty much suburbia. RFUMS is kinda the division between the super gentrified part of northern Illinois (Lake Bluff/Lake Forest), and the much less affluent part (Waukegan/North Chicago).
Other Students: Everyone around you is rooting for you which is great. As soon as a past BMS student (i.e. an RFUMS med/podiatry/PA/pharmacy student) learns that you are doing/struggling through BMS, they will 9 times out of 10 lend a helping hand. BMS students are the underdogs at RFUMS, and everyone from your advisors to your peers want you to succeed.
Faculty: Very helpful, they are always open to someone coming into office hours and asking for help. They are all very knowledgable too, and want to make sure that the student asking questions has their question answered. I went to office hours many times, and would almost treat these sessions as private tutoring sessions in a way, they were that helpful.
Buildings/Classrooms/Facilities: The school is great, and I'm saying this coming from a big school. Everything you need is in one building, and RFUMS only has around 2000 students in total, many of which are always doing clinical rotations away from campus. There is never a shortage of supplies/rooms/teachers in the building, and half of the school was recently renovated. One of the best things about this is that all your professors are in the same building as you, so you can walk to their office in a matter of minutes.
The program will allow you to get your foot in the door with any grad program at RFUMS, with CMS being the hardest to get into. You'll need all A's and B's, or just all B's, and a good interview for admission to CMS. (Make sure you do the recommended service hours that each advisor sends you the summer prior to BMS, if you do not do this you will be automatically rejected from CMS). Students that received a C in a class were rejected from CMS, but could still apply to the podiatry/pharmacy/PA programs with a good chance of success.

N/A
Classes: I did not go to class, and I personally don't think class is a very useful learning tool. I'm not going to list this as a pro or con, since everyone has a different learning style, but I just don't learn well from someone talking at me. Instead I used the lectures once they came out online (all lectures are recorded). I would pause the lecture whenever we went over a concept I didn't understand, re-explain it to myself/make sense of it, and then continue.
Competitiveness: So for past years of BMS, the program was not competitive at all. Reason for this is because BMS students were not included in the averages for exams. The only people whose' averages mattered were the medical students, whose average was curved to an 80% or 79.5%. For example, if the BMS average was a 60%, and the M1 average was a 70%, they would curve the test 9.5%. They would not include any BMS student in this calculation for the curve, the BMS student would just receive 9.5% back after all was said and done. This is changing though, now since M1's and BMS students are separated, curves and averages for the BMS program will only be set with BMS student averages. The average will be set to an 80%, and this might encourage some competitiveness between students.

Cons:
Cost: I believe the program in total, with room and board costed me around 57 grand. This is expensive!
Difficulty: I went to a top 15 public undergraduate institution and this program was extremely hard. Tests were given every 3 weeks, and were combined. So you'd be sitting in the testing room for 30 minutes for our shortest test, and 4 hours for our longest test. This is medical school, so the pace is very fast. The analogy I use is that it's like drinking water from a fire hydrant, it's really hard lol. It's not impossible though, since out of the 95 of us that started, around 60 got into CMS, including myself :D.
Buildings/Classrooms/Facilities: There are some parts of the school which look dated, like some of the professors' offices/labs, but that shouldn't pertain to you too much. The library is a little old too, but who cares, all you need is a quiet place to sit and study, which it gives you. There is construction going on right in front of the library, so the view from the library will kinda be messed up for one more year while this new research building is created, but I guess this could be listed as a pro and a con... Only thing I wish the school had was a swimming pool, but it pretty much has everything else you could think of.
Getting a C in a course, whether it is a track course (online Health administration/nutrition/etc), med course, or topics in physiology, will kill your chances of getting into CMS, so don't get a C. The "best" time you could get a C, would be for CMCB or Biochem (C's in CMCB were more common than in Biochem), and the absolute worst class to get a C in would be physio, followed by neuro/TIPS being second worst to get a C in. Reason why Biochem/CMCB is best to get a C in is because you have the option of dropping the program early on, or can apply to one of RFUMS's other graduate programs with ample time to get your application together (these classes are finalized in October/November). Physio/neuro/TIPS are the worst to get C's in because they are the last classes to get finalized, so if you are banking on CMS the entire year and have a conditional acceptance to CMS, you will get it taken away if you get a C in either of those two classes. To add insult to injury, you will not have time to apply to another graduate program at RFUMS for that year since these classes are finalized in late May, and the cycles for these other programs will be near their very end by that point. Physio is the absolute worst class to get a C in since it is the most credit heavy class (14 credit hours compared to other med classes which are between 4 and 7 credit hours), and is finalized at the end of the year. TIPS is also a credit heavy class, but the faculty will try their hardest to make sure everyone gets a B in the class (we had like a 25% curve on our last exam, to make sure most people got a B, if not everyone...)

Clinical Molecular Cell Biology (Hardest class in my opinion): Memorization heavy class that required a painstaking attention to detail. 4 exams that are TINY! First had 21 questions, second had 17, third had 21, and fourth had 33 questions. Really small margin for error, since BMS students are required to get A's and B's in order for matriculation into CMS. Questions are usually over nitty gritty details, and every exam usually comprises of 100 to 200 pages of textbook material that needs to be memorized and understood in 3 weeks.
Biochemistry: Memorization and understanding were both required heavily for this course. It consisted of 5 exams, each with between 17 and 50 questions if I remember correctly. The stakes were not as high in this class as they were in CMCB.
Physiology: Easiest class overall since there were 10 or 12 exams. If you messed up on like 3 or 4 exams you'd still be fine in the end. Went over basic physio for each body system.
Neuro: 4 exams, each with around 30/40 questions except the final that had 65 questions. I'd say this was a little easier than CMCB, but it definitely made some people get C's in the BMS program leading to a rejection from CMS.
Topics in Physiology: Has around 10 exams, and is only for BMS students. Tests are easy to cram for, while the med classes cannot be crammed for (except 1 Biochem test and 2 or 3 physio tests - these were really tiny tests). If you mess up a few exams you are fine, and there are also clicker quizzes that make up like 30% of your final grade. The clicker quizzes help a lot!
Track courses: You will take around 3 online courses in a health related-non science field. I chose health administration, and it required 3 discussion posts a week, and a 2 to 3 page paper to be written every 3 weeks or so. Not hard, and you should be getting really high grades in these courses.
I didn't know truly how difficult it would be, and I wish I would have trusted myself more in the beginning of the program. I also wish I would have consulted the RFUMS learning center on the first day of classes, since they allowed me to change my study routine to something that was super effective.
Prepare to work very hard.
You need to have a serious passion for medicine/the medical field when writing your essays, and this needs to be shown through the activities you have done in the past. As for myself, I had a 497 MCAT and a 3.3 GPA and was admitted.
I will be attending the chicago medical school in August, so yes! I didn't apply anywhere else though. The program is not known too well from other medical schools, but it sure gives you a great shot at getting into CMS, or any other professional program at RFUMS.
If I hadn't done this program, I would not be in the position I am today. Don't let all the nay-sayers and trolls bring you down. Just because you have a low MCAT and GPA does not mean that you won't become a doctor. You just need to have the correct work ethic, and the ability to adapt to a tough situation. People on SDN don't know your full story, so don't let someone who just sees two numbers (MCAT/GPA) dissuade you completely from becoming who you want to be.
5, if I could rate it anything higher, I would.

Reactions: 4 users
LECOM Post Bacc
completed 2015, now an MS1

1) Pros vs Cons
Pros:
- It is one of the few post bacc programs that has direct linkage into their med school. And you are likely to gain acceptance if you get a 3.0, 23 MCAT, and a decent interview
- Classes are challenging in that they undoubtedly prepare you for real med classes, and in most cases, the classes are taught just like how the profs would teach MS1. Many professors are extremely helpful and care about teaching, some even reply to emails on weekends and I have never had a problem with getting a quick appointment in.
- Every student gets an adviser, so if you want another science faculty rec that will boost your application, it's extremely easy to get one.
- CHEAP. Compared to rosalind franklin or VCOM's tuition for their post bacc, it is really really cheap. Not to mention the actual med school is as well for a private institution.
- Curve doesn't exist. This could be a good + bad thing which you can see explained in the cons. The pro is that no one is competing against each other and students are extremely open to sharing study guides, flash cards, and other assistance with each other without hesitation. The general atmosphere between students is thus pretty good in that everyone wants everyone else to do well because Jamie emphasizes a lot how seats are available for every single post bacc student if they hit the requirements to link in. In other words, competition is not a problem. You only have to deal with yourself and in a way, with the teachers and how they test (explained later).
- Location. Nothing largely bad about Erie besides weather. Everything is cheaper here unless you lived in a small rural town before this. Plenty of cheap housing can be found within only a couple minutes drive from LECOM. Not to mention, traffic does not exist here.

Cons:
- To clarify the 3.0 requirement, I initially thought getting a 3.0 would be a cinch. In undergrad, I got a 3.0 science GPA and not really studying as hard as I'd like so thinking that without the volunteering, research, clubs, etc. if I devoted all my time to solely studying, 3.0 would be easy. WRONG. This is not so much a "con" as it is a fair warning. We started with around 120 students and I believe only around 60-70 made the cut (though some of those may have gotten the 3.0 but not the MCAT). The classes can be extremely difficult. Difficult, but not unfair for the most part. They are challenging especially Phys, Anat, Histo, Pharm, etc..., but when you are done with them, you'll get a huge sense of satisfaction at how much you've learned. I'll go over study tips later.
- Teachers are wildly inconsistent sometimes. You'll have multiple teachers teaching one subject such as Anatomy, and they all can vary so much. For example, you'll have a teacher who has straightforward lectures then test you very easily for first month. Then second month, you'll have a prof who has very short and lacking lecture slides, then test you above and beyond his powerpoints with 2nd and 3rd order questions (true anecdote of what happened in our year). Some teachers are short and succinct in their methods, some ramble too much. Some speak way too fast, some speak slow with English as not their first language. Again, may or may not be a "con" as most if not all schools would have inconsistent teaching. Just a fair warning that not all teachers test similarly.
- Lack of curve. I mentioned before this removes all sense of competition. Yet. There have been a few awful tests where 40-60% of the class had gotten F's and C's. You cannot rely on a curve as you did in undergrad. If everyone does bad, it does not matter, if you got a raw score of 60% on a test, then that's that.
- Snow is awful here. You will find yourself scraping snow off your car once every 3 days if not 3 times a day. On top of that, Erie is a odd town to describe. It feels almost like a enclosed area where most of the people you'll meet don't understand what it's like to live anywhere else. The people are nice, but there is somewhat of a lack of diversity and options to go places since actual cities are hours drives away. Not a true con as living preferences are to each his own, but something to understand if you're used to living somewhere like NYC or LA.

Can go on forever about classes, this part of the response could be pages long. If you want more detailed description, just PM me. In short, some classes are 1 credit, some are 5. DO NOT underestimate 1 credit classes, there were a handful that failed the 1 credit class and so would be barred from linkage. At the same time, there were a few who missed the 3.0 by 1 credit because they may have gotten a B in it and needed the A.

Don't underestimate the 3.0 requirement. Classes ARE HARD. Fortunately, I did well starting off because I cautiously overstudied. Many did awful their first test and so that would set the tone for the rest of the year. Would you rather start strong then take it easier later because you have a cushion, or would you rather do awful starting out then stressfully try to study your ass off to pass towards the end?

Anyone can get the 3.0 if you put in the effort. Unfortunately, I knew a couple students, no matter how much they studied, they were just awful test takers and would consistently get C's and thus could not keep up with the program. I'm not exaggerating when I say tests are hard. You may be successful in memorizing every little detail for an upcoming test, but if you don't have the acumen to apply it or think critically in terms of a third order question, this will be a tough road. It mirrors actual med school so there's only so much you can complain about unfair tests. Also, and a big thing to emphasize. If you choose this program and decide to go here, humility is huge. You are in the post bacc, not med school. You don't have room to strut around and act as if you're the smartest cookie around. You along with others have a reason why you're doing the post bacc and it's a chance to show you have what it takes when it comes to time management and studying skills. In other words, have the social sense to act humble around your fellow classmates and soon to be friends. If you do well, don't parade it in front of others, you never know if they are having a difficult time. And this is not high school anymore, there's no sense in bragging how little you study when we all know you exaggerate. I loved our class and I still can't believe how awesome all my classmates were. Many of them would not make it in, but you end up making some strong connections regardless because of what you all go through together.

Chances are hard to tell if presented with gpa and mcat. Really, I met a range of people from people with the lowest of the low MCAT scores, to people with MD level MCAT scores and same with GPAs. If you think you even have a chance, apply. Apply, apply. This program is a lifesaver if you want to be a physician. And if you come in with extremely low MCAT and low GPA, don't fret that that will transfer over to med school classes. I knew a girl with 19MCAT who ended up crushing this program while successfully retaking the MCAT. This is a clean slate from undergrad.

Absolutely. Got in when no other school even gave me an interview.

This post bacc year is crucial. It isn't a time to have a goal like learn a new hobby or make as many friends as possible. The point is to put all your mind and effort into it so that you can get into a med school and secure your future. With that in mind, here are some study tips. OVERSTUDY, ESPECIALLY the first tests of the semester. Better to start strong and finish comfortably than to start weak and scramble at the end. Secondly, study guides and flash cards. I never did that in undergrad, and had to switch it up for med school. It helps so much to have guides to look back at especially when you're studying for finals. You only have a week to study for your cumulative finals, to go through literally thousands of lecture slides in a week is crazy. That's why most people have study guides that emphasize high yield material in a way that's more memorable. To clarify, it's easier to remember and recall things while studying you're own handmade guides as opposed to disorganized hundred slide power points that the professors put together. Not to mention, lecture slides can be lacking and you have to be able to put into your own words extra detail or notes that may be important.

Also, I haven't addressed the whole image thing with LECOM yet. To put it simply, it's blown out of proportions. Our post bacc class is smart. Smart in that everyone understands how useful this program is to their future. Meaning I have rarely heard people complain about LECOM's policies like the dress code or security, etc. Small prices to pay to become a doc when no other med school would take you. If you're going to whine about dress code or not bringing food to lecture, a reality check is in place and that just like an actual workplace, rules are in place to maintain an environment of professionalism. If you've heard active complaints about LECOM, I doubt it would be from the post bacc, and it would be from some very entitled, loud minority from the school. The tuition here is extremely low, the post bacc gives chances to people who have no other, and many of the professors and staff are the nicest people I've ever met. Complaining is in our nature as students, but usually it will be about tests and studying, not LECOM or the post bacc itself. Just my two cents.

4 out of 5. Would be a 5 if it weren't for some awful teachers we had.

This is SPOT ON! I finished the program back in 2011/2012. Amazing how well it prepared me for medical school. Now, I'm a PGY3 and at a big name university program to boot. I will always be in debt to LECOM for taking the chance on me and helping me become the physician I am growing into. That stated, I worked my tail off in this post-bacc program. It is HARD! I would say more challenging than my first year of medical school since the stakes were so high.

Take home: go into this program looking to OWN it. Do not cut corners. From day 1, have your game face on. Good luck.

Highly recommended program. 4.5/5 stars.

Last edited:
A long time ago, I went to a post-bac.

UCLA's program, RAP, is one of the best out there. If you do well, use your interview (guranteed) to good use, and make connections you will get in.

PM me for further details.
AB

Hello all, old thread, I know, but I thought I would add my $0.02 anyway.

I attended a 32-credit Master's of Toxicology program at Colorado State University. I loved it!

• The program is organized fairly well. There are core courses that are offered in spring or in fall only, so a little planning is required. The advisors are professors of core courses so they're great at helping to plan for the most efficient career. The courses are almost all multiple choice exam free. One core course has multiple choice and short answer combination exams. All other courses (unless an elective outside of the program is chosen) have short answer, or essay exams. The courses are offered all over campus, so you have some in beautiful new buildings and some in the older outdated buildings. Most of the courses are taught lecture-style with powerpoints, and require attendance to do well. These professors are teaching the courses they love and have made a career in, so it's a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately, CSU is well-known for it's expensive tuition, and this program is no exception of an out-of-state student. Fort Collins is an awesome city, within no time you could be up the mountains or drive the other direction and be in Denver in an hour. This city is focused on being beautiful, friendly and it has almost everything for everyone. CSU's campus is in line with the city, it is well kept, artistic, up to date, constantly improving, and beautiful with a great view of the Rockies. As far as competition, this program is fairly new and being developed so they are desiring more and more students to fill their classes. Currently, the class size is small and you get to know everone in the whole program.
Core Courses:
  • Fundamentals of Toxicology - A course that builds on organic chemistry, biology, molecular bio, and physiology to build the basic knowledge of toxin interactions within the body.
  • Mechanisms of Toxicology - a "flipped classroom" style course where the students read current primary research on a wide variety of toxicology topics (novel drugs, scientific practices, recent findings, etc.) to then present to the rest of the class
  • Toxicological Pathology - lecture based course discussing the phenotypic findings in humans and animals regarding different well-known toxins, drugs, and chemicals.
  • Metabolism and Disposition - exactly what it sounds like; a class devoted the organic chemistry behind metabolism of a variety of chemicals including drugs, parasites, and toxins.
MANY Electives to choose from

• That it wasn't as "impossible" as people would like to tell you, and that office hours are priceless.
  • You'll find yourself saying "I always wondered how that worked/why that was bad/etc"
  • Get your application in on time and have time to speak with the advisors.
  • I sure hope it does. But I know that the material will be incredibly beneficial for med school and any pharmacology.