Rare situation- advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pruthvi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi !! am a final year MBBS student in India.. am a US green card holder.. i go to a private medical school which is a relatively a new medical college ,that is , the college was started in 2008 with Medical council of India (MCI) approval for that calendar year (2008-2009).. How ever MCI has asked my college not to take a new batch the following year, i.e., 2009-2010..but my college din't abide by MCI's order and admitted our batch and i joined this 2009-2010 batch unaware of such a problem going on !! there has been no batch since then in our college..( 2010,2011,2012,2013 - these 4 years there have been no admissions )..

Now MCI din't like the fact that my college admitted the 2009-2010 batch despite them telling not to do so , and hence din't want to recognize us..My seniors repeatedly did strikes and finally got the recognition after 6 months of constant interactions & pleading with the MCI..( even though they had the permission letter from MCI , the MCI din't want to recognize my seniors since my college din't follow their order and admitted my batch in the year 2009)

Now the problem is my batch is not recognized by the MCI..and it might take possibly another 6 months - 1 year for recognizing my batch after repeated cases going on in the courts..
My seniors , some of them who want to do the USMLE, are not being granted the permission by the MCI for registration with the ECFMG based in philadelphia..now i am not sure how long will this take for materialising !!

Based on all this , myself being a USMLE aspirant, am wondering wether my dreams of becoming a surgeon will ever happen..given the increased competency of US residencies , and the even more competetive surgical residencies , i have a close to 1% chance of achieving my dream.. so am wondering wether i can take the MCAT , and go to US Allopathic medical school for 4 years and then residency and then eventually become a surgeon..can a student who has finished MBBS ( ill be finishing in a year and a half ) take the MCAT and directly go to a US medical school or should i have to do the premed and then only take the MCAT?

Sorry for the long post am hopeless right now..thanks for reading..

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I can be of much help... but as a US "premed" I do have some information. In order to enter a US med school, at the least, you'll need to have taken medical school prerequisite classes (I'm not sure if you would have covered all of these in HS). Very few international students get admission in US med schools. But even then, most US med schools require an undergraduate degree. Based on this, I think you would need to complete some sort of an undergraduate degree in the US first (as a "premed"). This major doesn't have to be in biology, though. You could do some sort of an accelerated degree which covers all the prereq.s. There are a bunch of difference programs.

This link lists the med school prereqs. and most likely the procedure for you:

http://www.nontraditionalmedicalstudent.com/medstart.html

EDIT: Actually an MBBS could technically count as an undergraduate degree. Maybe all you would have to do is take the necessary prereqs or do something like a post-baccalaureate. I would actually contact US med schools, if I were you.

Last edited:
i actually read just nowon the net that MBBS in india would relatively count as an undergrad degree and that one can appear for MCAT on completion of MBBS.. as you say, guess i should contact US med schools..thanks for the reply :)

hi !! so thought i will report back..finally my college has been recognised by MCI !! :) supreme court has asked us to repeat final year exams under rajiv gandhi university karnataka this september..so from then ill start my internship and start preparing for the USMLE STEP 1 !! cheers !