RANT HERE thread

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by flyhi, Jun 17, 2010.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. sheltermed

sheltermed 2+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2013
    My high school chemistry teacher committed suicide. His daughter messaged me this evening.

When I was 16, I was hospitalized for some mental health issues. I had him as a teacher at the time, and when I got back to school he reached out to me and told me his own story, about how he had gone through something similar.

We kept in touch after high school. He helped me through general chem when I took it at a community college. I would visit him at his house a few times a week, he would make me dinner and we would study together. We grew close, he knew about all of my personal struggles and vice versa, we tried to support each other through the hard times. What makes this even harder is that he spent a lot of time convincing me that suicide is not an option...but he chose it for himself. I'm in total shock and can't believe this happened.

He hadn't spoken to me for a couple of months, though he had reached out to me after graduation last month to congratulate me. I knew something was wrong because he used to check in at least once a week via facebook. I didn't call or message him too much because I felt like I would be bothering him. I had plans to visit him when I was in the area a few times over the past year, but something usually came up and it ended up not happening. I really regret those decisions now.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    I'm so sorry shelter <3

sheltermed likes this.
  4. LadyOtheFarm

LadyOtheFarm Embryologist 2+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Over the Rainbow
    So sorry shelter. It must be quite the shock. We are here for you. Hugs and love your way!

sheltermed likes this.
  5. cdoconn

cdoconn Pro-Quivering

Jan 18, 2016
    I'm sorry shelter, that's so hard. We're here for you!!! <3

sheltermed likes this.
  6. WildZoo

WildZoo Illegal in all 50 Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Apr 18, 2013
    The doll factory
    I'm so sorry sm <3

sheltermed likes this.
  7. wallydo

wallydo MSU c/o 2021! 2+ Year Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Michigan
    Shelter, I'm so sorry. Here if you need to talk. <3

sheltermed likes this.
  8. cowgirl92

cowgirl92 Oregon State c/o 2021

Aug 1, 2016
    Thinking of you shelter, that is so sad.

sheltermed likes this.
  9. PrincessButterCup

PrincessButterCup 2+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2014
    There are a lot of things that go into someone committing suicide. Several years ago my brother was on suicide watch in a children's hospital, and I lived with him. I saw him everyday, he was one of my closest friends, and I still didn't know this huge thing was going on inside him. Point being, it's terrible and a really heartbreaking thing to experience, but I really hope you're not blaming yourself SM. At all. Mourn, but don't feel like your support wasn't enough.

I'm really, really sorry. :(

variegata, Caiter92, wallydo and 3 others like this.
  10. sheltermed

sheltermed 2+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2013
    I'll admit I'm blaming myself a little, but I'm more upset I hadn't been more persistent in keeping in touch just to have more time with him, whether or not it would have prevented what happened. I appreciate your words, and I'm also sorry to hear about your brother - I hope he's doing better.

11. batsenecal

batsenecal U of I c/o 2021 2+ Year Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Savoy, IL
    Diagnosed with a pretty big DVT this afternoon. Depending on what hematologist says tomorrow, they may not let me drive back next week, according to my doctor.

Silver lining: extended vacation?

12. WildZoo

WildZoo Illegal in all 50 Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Apr 18, 2013
    The doll factory
    Ugh. That sucks :(

13. batsenecal

batsenecal U of I c/o 2021 2+ Year Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Savoy, IL
    Yeah, it surprised me, too, since I had done these marathon drives before (my GP thinks my marathon drive from Illinois to my undergrad caused it). But it makes me thankful that I didn't trip and fall while I was hydrating at the festival last weekend.

14. mmmdreamerz

mmmdreamerz THE OSU c/o 2021 2+ Year Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Kittens know how to make you feel REALLY guilty about a lack of breakfast lol. She's first on our schedule for her spay this AM, so I'm trying to convince her it could be much worse. Poor kid isn't convinced haha.

15. SandstormDVM

SandstormDVM Iowa State c/o 2020 2+ Year Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Stupid, minor rant, but I am slightly irritated. I don't know why I trust my brother who can't even tend to himself to take care of anything relating to animals...

My dad and his girlfriend are in Michigan and so we were tasked with watching the dogs. I fed them breakfast, played with them a bit, and took care of them all yesterday morning and afternoon and before leaving to go out with my mom for a little bit. My brother works stocking on overnights at Wal-Mart and generally wakes up at around 5-6 PM and he was off yesterday and today, so I asked if he wouldn't mind letting the dogs out to potty and feeding them dinner while I spend the night with her. He says yes.

So I wake up early this morning, drive to my dad's house to let them out and eat breakfast... and clearly he didn't let them out enough, if at all, or kennel them, because there are spots of poop all over the house. And our home inspection for the baby adoption is going to happen anytime now. I don't mind cleaning it up, but seriously? They're good boys and they know exactly what to do when they're let outside and are quick about it... it doesn't even take 2 minutes to let them potty! Ugh.

16. scb44f

scb44f Llamas and cattle and sheep, oh my! 7+ Year Member

Aug 31, 2009
    MO
    Losses are inevitable on a farm, but **** me if I'm not bawling over losing a ewe to heat stress last night. I have not had to deal with the death of a pet for a very long time (she was one, as all my sheep have names and I love on the ones that will let me).

17. Doctor-S

Doctor-S Professor/Attending (Female) Lifetime Donor

Jun 9, 2016
    USA
    PhD
    Rocket Scientist
    Faculty
    Very sorry to hear about the loss of your little ewe. :(

18. that redhead

that redhead 7+ Year Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Veterinarian
    Aw, no :( Do the other girls seem to be handling the heat ok?

19. flameshock

flameshock VMCVM c/o 2020

Jan 11, 2016
    I was in an airport twelve hours today. Probably 15 hours of travel all together, to go from Chicago to Baltimore. And I didn't even get to Baltimore! Had to take a different flight and abandon my bag for even a chance to get into the right region. By far the worst travel experience I have ever had, and I am so drained from the ordeal that I actually feel sick. :confused:

20. psilovethomas

psilovethomas fading 7+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I adopted a male pittie a week ago. He does great with my hound mix. But, he is food aggressive with him. Luckily he does not care if I take his food away. He has snapped at my hound once for getting to close to his bowl when it was full (he doesn't care about the bowl when it is empty).We now feed them on opposite sides of the room.

I brought up a bag of dog food this afternoon from the basement and put it in the kitchen because their current bag is almost empty. I left it in the kitchen and took a nap on the couch. I thought it was weird that he wouldn't leave the kitchen, but thought he liked the feel of the cool tile. My other dog was pacing the whole time I was napping (argh!). My fiance went into the kitchen and my hound followed him. Pittie got really tense for a few seconds, and then went after my hound. In retrospect, he was likely resource guarding the bag of food I left out in the kitchen, and I just realized he was laying next to it when I had checked on him earlier. My poor hound has a small puncture on his jowl (my favorite part of him!) and a scratch on this face. It makes me so sad because it is entirely my fault for leaving the bag of food in the kitchen. I'm so upset with myself.
    I have decided to start counter-conditioning him, so I hope that some of his inter-dog food aggression can reside.

21. bjeh

bjeh He was born of an omelet

Dec 5, 2016
    I was woken up at 12am and 2am to my neighbors having the exact same very loud argument that I complained about almost a month ago. I know it's the same argument because they are so fricking loud I can hear exactly what they're saying.

Also my husband just went to work and said she threw all his clothes and stuff off thier balcony into the front parking lot. I thought people only did stuff like that in movies.

Update: the guy picked up all his clothes that were up front, but has not yet discovered his golf clubs in the grass behind the building...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  22. SandstormDVM

Mar 7, 2015
    Was supposed to drive back to Iowa today... I've got a work meeting tomorrow morning. And I feel like a vomit-y, nauseous, shaky, generally gross piece of crap; it doesn't help matters that I got <4 hours of sleep last night, either. So that's probably not happening now. Ugh.

23. Doctor-S

Jun 9, 2016
    USA
    PhD
    Rocket Scientist
    Faculty
    Uh-ooh ... that sounds unpleasant. Hope you begin to feel much better soon. :cat:

24. Coquette22

Coquette22 Duel Monsters Vet C/O 2015 Silver Donor 7+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Veterinarian
    My waste of space older sister texted me at 10PM on my birthday to ask to borrow $50 for her staff party the next day. Based on how she was spelling things, she was drunk. She knows I'm carrying rent, plus the mortgage on the house and I don't have 2 frigging cents to my name right now. And who the hell asks someone for money on their birthday??

25. Doctor-S

Jun 9, 2016
    USA
    PhD
    Rocket Scientist
    Faculty
    @Coquette22, did you have a birthday yesterday (Sunday), and we didn't know about it?

26. cdoconn

cdoconn Pro-Quivering

Jan 18, 2016
    I'm sorry Coquette. That's so hard- she sounds like a terrible sister, I'm sorry you have/ had to deal with that. Apparently I didn't know about your birthday though! So happy belated birthday!!!! :hardy::hardy::hardy:

27. wallydo

wallydo MSU c/o 2021! 2+ Year Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Michigan
  28. Coquette22

Coquette22 Duel Monsters Vet C/O 2015 Silver Donor 7+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Veterinarian
    I did indeed have a birthday on Saturday, the big 30. Had an awesome night with booze and games and laughs. I wish I could say I was surprised by what my sister did but it's par for the course. Need I add that she's 36, only works part time and my mother still pays her rent and my sister uses her 4 year old kid to get what she wants.

29. SandstormDVM

Mar 7, 2015
    Sorry about the troubles with your sister, @Coquette22. That's awful that she'd ask for that, especially since she knows that you're already extremely financially strained.

And happy belated birthday! :hardy:

30. cdoconn

cdoconn Pro-Quivering

Jan 18, 2016
    The birthday sounds great! I'm glad you had a great time, regardless of ****ty family situations!

Also, if it makes you laugh, I almost used the other emoji with a party hat because I wasn't paying attention! :laugh:

:asshat::hardy:

31. Doctor-S

Jun 9, 2016
    USA
    PhD
    Rocket Scientist
    Faculty
    I thought I saw some drunken photos from your birthday party on Saturday!

Happy belated Birthday @Coquette22! :)

drunk cat birtday.jpg

32. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    I'm sorry Coquette :( she sounds a bit like my cousin who only talks to me or wants to hang out with me when she wants something from me.

Happy belated birthday and I'm glad you had an awesome birthday with your friends regardless :hardy::love:

33. scb44f

scb44f Llamas and cattle and sheep, oh my! 7+ Year Member

Aug 31, 2009
    MO
    Happy belated bday, Coquette!

Thank you. I am so far keeping my mind off it thank goodness.

The others are doing fine. We check them morning and evening. She wasn't a monetarily expensive loss but we just bought a ewe that would be one to take to the university if she ends up heat stressed!

Doctor-S likes this.
  34. coffeelauren

coffeelauren

Sep 3, 2015
    Georgia
    kind of minor/irrelevent rant but:
    Even taking chem 2 for the second time, I'm still struggling with it.... I think i'll have no trouble passing, but a B at this point will be kind of a long shot... ugh. Wish I was better at this stuff. Also I have to move AGAIN in a couple weeks and it's regularly been 97 degrees here lately..ugh
    bright side: summer semester is almost over (thank god) and while I still struggle with chemistry, I think I've made some progress on improving my study habits a lot this summer if nothing else, and I might have an interview at an emergency hospital for a vet assistant position :)

35. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    Does your school have a science learning center where they can help you? Or people who have taken the class before and are paid by the school to do free group tutoring?
    I assume you're going to your professors office hours and asking for help? If not, definitely suggest going. Try the homework first and then go in and they can help you with where you're getting stuck or going wrong. That goes for both office hours and peer tutoring things. If you are going to all of these that you can, is it possible to see if the professor will meet with you for extra time outside their office hours for extra help? I promise the professor doesn't want to see you fail and wants you to succeed and understand the material and pass the class. If you're going to office hours but the stuff still isn't making sense how they're explaining it, make sure you tell them because they might be able to explain it differently or break it down more. Hell, I had to explain some things in terms of shoes to one of my friends in high school Chem because she wasn't understanding the bus seat analogy that the teacher was using, but shoes, that was something she could understand.

Yay for improved study habits and a possible interview though!!!

36. mmmdreamerz

mmmdreamerz THE OSU c/o 2021 2+ Year Member

Dec 7, 2014
    My fully-vaccinated 7 year old cat is really really sick right now with some crazy virus. She's getting all the supportive care we can throw at her but going on three days now without any improvement and it's just depressing as hell.

37. coffeelauren

coffeelauren

Sep 3, 2015
    Georgia
    I always feel like it makes sense in class, and on the homework, but somehow i just blank on the exams- it's like the homework is too easy or something, idk. But I for sure could make more of an effort with office hours! (just wish it was a little less crowded) haha

SkiOtter likes this.
  38. PrincessButterCup

PrincessButterCup 2+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2014
  39. cdoconn

cdoconn Pro-Quivering

Jan 18, 2016
    I've never filed through the disabilities office and it's been increasingly difficult to get my audiology records from 2000/2001. :confused:

40. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    I'm sorry eggo :(
    Would it be easier to go back in for new testing instead?

41. cdoconn

cdoconn Pro-Quivering

Jan 18, 2016
    Maybe but $$$$$

From my knowledge audiograms are rather expensive- especially from an audiologist

LadyOtheFarm likes this.
  42. JaynaAli

JaynaAli Need it STAT or want it STAT? They're different. Bronze Donor 2+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Veterinarian
    I had one done first year of vet school. I was still on my parent's insurance so I don't know how much it cost but they didn't complain that our portion was outrageous or anything. :shrug:

PrincessButterCup likes this.
  43. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    Ahh

I wasn't sure how much would be covered by insurance. :(

44. cdoconn

cdoconn Pro-Quivering

Jan 18, 2016
    I suppose we'll have to see. I kinda wonder if one from the cvs hearing clinic would work

45. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    I'd call the disabilities office and ask and if they would accept it before you go that route, just to be safe. I would hope that they'd take it since I assume it's gonna show the same thing (though prob not at as in depth of a level), that you are partially deaf and would benefit from accommodations.

46. cdoconn

cdoconn Pro-Quivering

Jan 18, 2016
    Insurance doesn't like me too much right now Hahahaha. 2 urgent care visits, an ER visit, a big surgery, and an audiologist visit? Yikes.

47. cdoconn

cdoconn Pro-Quivering

Jan 18, 2016
    True. I'm trying to find the audiology information but it was from when I was like... 3-4 years old.

SkiOtter likes this.
  48. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    Haha yeah that's why I was saying possibly it may be easier to get retested. Especially if they would accept a test from a cvs hearing clinic.

49. JaynaAli

JaynaAli Need it STAT or want it STAT? They're different. Bronze Donor 2+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Veterinarian
    On the plus side for you...you're likely at your deductible and out of pocket maximum for the year! :)

50. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    True..... But hopefully you've at least met your deductible for this year by now?

51. Trilt

Trilt love doc + puppy snuggler extraordinaire Gold Donor 7+ Year Member

Feb 10, 2008
    NC
    Veterinarian
    you get a hemoabdomen, and you get a hemoabdomen, and yoooouuu get a hemoabdomen.

:lame: