RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does your school have a science learning center where they can help you? Or people who have taken the class before and are paid by the school to do free group tutoring?
I assume you're going to your professors office hours and asking for help? If not, definitely suggest going. Try the homework first and then go in and they can help you with where you're getting stuck or going wrong. That goes for both office hours and peer tutoring things. If you are going to all of these that you can, is it possible to see if the professor will meet with you for extra time outside their office hours for extra help? I promise the professor doesn't want to see you fail and wants you to succeed and understand the material and pass the class. If you're going to office hours but the stuff still isn't making sense how they're explaining it, make sure you tell them because they might be able to explain it differently or break it down more. Hell, I had to explain some things in terms of shoes to one of my friends in high school Chem because she wasn't understanding the bus seat analogy that the teacher was using, but shoes, that was something she could understand.

Yay for improved study habits and a possible interview though!!!

I always feel like it makes sense in class, and on the homework, but somehow i just blank on the exams- it's like the homework is too easy or something, idk. But I for sure could make more of an effort with office hours! (just wish it was a little less crowded) haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never filed through the disabilities office and it's been increasingly difficult to get my audiology records from 2000/2001. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe but $$$$$

From my knowledge audiograms are rather expensive
I had one done first year of vet school. I was still on my parent's insurance so I don't know how much it cost but they didn't complain that our portion was outrageous or anything. :shrug:

I had one done first year of vet school. I was still on my parent's insurance so I don't know how much it cost but they didn't complain that our portion was outrageous or anything. :shrug:

Ahh

I wasn't sure how much would be covered by insurance. :(
I suppose we'll have to see. I kinda wonder if one from the cvs hearing clinic would work

I suppose we'll have to see. I kinda wonder if one from the cvs hearing clinic would work
I'd call the disabilities office and ask and if they would accept it before you go that route, just to be safe. I would hope that they'd take it since I assume it's gonna show the same thing (though prob not at as in depth of a level), that you are partially deaf and would benefit from accommodations.

I'd call the disabilities office and ask and if they would accept it before you go that route, just to be safe. I would hope that they'd take it since I assume it's gonna show the same thing (though prob not at as in depth of a level), that you are partially deaf and would benefit from accommodations.
True. I'm trying to find the audiology information but it was from when I was like... 3-4 years old.

Insurance doesn't like me too much right now Hahahaha. 2 urgent care visits, an ER visit, a big surgery, and an audiologist visit? Yikes.
On the plus side for you...you're likely at your deductible and out of pocket maximum for the year! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

What kind of test do they offer? I did a hearing test through my high school's little audiology service once. It was so minimal, and it told them that I had significant hearing loss but not decibel information or anything really useful. I didn't realize their testing was just a way to see if there was a problem, and that I'd have to go somewhere else for actual results. If that's what their service is for, it might not be comprehensive.

I commiserate. When I was getting my records from my old elementary school district a few years ago they couldn't find any record of me before 4th grade. My tests were done in kindergarten and 1st grade. It was stressful. They finally found me tucked away in my sister's gifted learning program files. How'd I get there? (Also I learned the audiologist wanted me to be tested again every year to monitor me, and my parents never took me back. Also learned hearing aids were an option and my parents didn't want me to feel different, and also never asked me or gave me the option . . . :rolleyes:) I've been meaning to find an audiologist to talk to, but I haven't made an appointment yet, so I don't know any insurance info about that.

What kind of test do they offer? I did a hearing test through my high school's little audiology service once. It was so minimal, and it told them that I had significant hearing loss but not decibel information or anything really useful. I didn't realize their testing was just a way to see if there was a problem, and that I'd have to go somewhere else for actual results. If that's what their service is for, it might not be comprehensive.

I commiserate. When I was getting my records from my old elementary school district a few years ago they couldn't find any record of me before 4th grade. My tests were done in kindergarten and 1st grade. It was stressful. They finally found me tucked away in my sister's gifted learning program files. How'd I get there? (Also I learned the audiologist wanted me to be tested again every year to monitor me, and my parents never took me back. Also learned hearing aids were an option and my parents didn't want me to feel different, and also never asked me or gave me the option . . . :rolleyes:) I've been meaning to find an audiologist to talk to, but I haven't made an appointment yet, so I don't know any insurance info about that.
Ugh the feels. My mom is looking for the hard copy records tomorrow morning. If she doesn't find them, I probably just need to get to an audiologist anyways.

It's a bad day for dog spleens.

I've had three hemoabdomens in the past week. Two of them had spleens that looked normal on ultrasound. All three had liver badness. WTF?! I can get rid of spleens! I can't fix livers.
Well, one today was a cat... so that was a first.

In dogs, I've actually had more liver badness bleeds than spleen ones recently.

My kid is only 6, but has been to the audiologist and ENT pretty much every 6 months since birth (until recently). I would love to tell you the test isn't that expensive. .. but she had been on Medicaid or CHIP and it was free or a $10 copay... so, I'm not helpful.

I can tell you what the test entails. We used to do most of it in school anyway, that whole raise your hand when you hear a sound and they test pitch and volume with a set of headphones. And the weird bit was the pressure test. (It is a bit different with an infant and a toddler, but same general theme)

My fully-vaccinated 7 year old cat is really really sick right now with some crazy virus. She's getting all the supportive care we can throw at her but going on three days now without any improvement and it's just depressing as hell.
Sending lots of good thoughts and gentle hugs to your cat - hope she begins to feel better soon. Please keep us posted - we care!

Ugh the feels. My mom is looking for the hard copy records tomorrow morning. If she doesn't find them, I probably just need to get to an audiologist anyways.
Holy cow, my mom actually found the audiogram. It's from February of 2000. Take that, disabilities office! Profound hearing loss!!!

{no quoting the picture please}

IMG_2906.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
Holy cow, my mom actually found the audiogram. It's from February of 2000. Take that, disabilities office! Profound hearing loss!!!

I really like the part of the 'history' where it says accompanied by parents and grandma. I'm happy your parents didn't send 4-year-old you there alone!

Reactions: 2 users
I really like the part of the 'history' where it says accompanied by parents and grandma. I'm happy your parents didn't send 4-year-old you there alone!
They're so considerate! This form is goofy and it makes me laugh.

Also I learned that I have a history of chronic ear infections in my right ear...? I've never had an ear infection as long as I can remember. The more you know, apparently.

They're so considerate! This form is goofy and it makes me laugh.

Also I learned that I have a history of chronic ear infections in my right ear...? I've never had an ear infection as long as I can remember. The more you know, apparently.
I'm surprised I DONT have hearing loss with how often I get ear infections/bad ear infections. Few years ago my pcp did one of those hearing tests where you have to tell them when you hear the beep and after, the nurse was like "well now we know all the beeps actually do work..."

Update: I WALKED TODAY (like a grandma, but I'll take it)

PCP (different one than who I had seen for the other two bouts that were much less severe) thinks it's probably a herniated disc since it's happened before so MRI is happening Monday (I figured I'd be getting sent for one since I couldn't walk more than 7 steps on Saturday morning...)

Now it is time for a muscle relaxant nap
Update to the Update: So apparently I have a pretty big disc bulge that's pressing against S1 and a bit on S2 :dead: :lame:
but my dr thinks it should probably go away on its own since my pain has significantly gone down and I can walk normally now

I've had three hemoabdomens in the past week. Two of them had spleens that looked normal on ultrasound. All three had liver badness. WTF?! I can get rid of spleens! I can't fix livers.

Well, one today was a cat... so that was a first.

In dogs, I've actually had more liver badness bleeds than spleen ones recently.
We don't have ultrasound, so I transfer the cases for further workup if the owners are willing. Found out today that the one I hoped was just spleen had nodules EVERYWHERE. :(

We don't have ultrasound, so I transfer the cases for further workup if the owners are willing. Found out today that the one I hoped was just spleen had nodules EVERYWHERE. :(

Hemoabs are stupid.

Out in MN I'm running the "boat to dock trauma" special. Two last shift, one the previous shift. It's summertime! Wheee!

Hemoabs are stupid.

Out in MN I'm running the "boat to dock trauma" special. Two last shift, one the previous shift. It's summertime! Wheee!

I'm currently running a "cats with excessive abdominal bruising" special. Both had normal coags and platelet counts high enough to not attributed to bleeding. One had a regenerative anemia, the other didn't. O's swear to no trauma.

Also the past 24 hours have sucked. Put my guinea pig to sleep immediatley following my shift yesterday morning. Woke up and found out that the shift I said I'd pick up a month ago is now on my work schedule. This was at 230 pm, shift started at 2pm and ends at midnight. Ended up getting stuck seeing a start case at like 2 AM when I was trying to do records and waiting for a chance to do my procedure. Left work at 7 AM....

So my brother just had surgery on his sinuses. They fixed his deviated septum and chizzled out some bone that was causing a blocked sinus. Surgery took an hour in total from taking him back til he was out in recovery. The insurance was billed $15000 by the doctor and $1000 by the facility. Waiting for our portion of payment to be decided... Imagine someone paying a vet $16000 for an hour surgery like that! We wouldn't have to worry about student debt problems much anymore. Plus I'm sure it was relatively easy compared to some of the work vets do and the time and effort put into it compared to pay. Sheesh! I know we say we're not in it for the income otherwise we would become human doctors, but seriously $16000 for an hour surgery!?!? Imagine if they could only charge what vets can....

Hi Dr. S. Thanks for asking. Still pretty sick and not eating. She's about five seconds from earning herself an esophagostomy tube. It's been a really long week.
Sorry to hear she's still unwell. :(

Sending your cat (and you) lots of hugs and kindness.

Last edited:
After about forty minutes of walking plus train ride to get to the DMV that is open on Saturdays, standing in a huge line outside for an additional fifteen minutes (didn't even make it halfway to the door), I was informed that they "ran out" of the written test so anyone switching from an out of state license was SOL. Guess I'll try again next week.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

After about forty minutes of walking plus train ride to get to the DMV that is open on Saturdays, standing in a huge line outside for an additional fifteen minutes (didn't even make it halfway to the door), I was informed that they "ran out" of the written test so anyone switching from an out of state license was SOL. Guess I'll try again next week.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile
Wtf how do they run out? Can they not use a copy machine or a printer and print more?
Sorry you have to go back :(

**** cancer!!! Took survey rads of my 10.5 yr old FS bloodhound today. Clinically normal. Just wanted to check on her spleen (known splenic mass that has never caused problems or changed in size, mild subaortic stenosis, bilateral cataracts, several lumps and bumps). Rads 1 year ago were boring. Echo and abdominal ultrasound 6 months ago showed mild turbulent flow through aortic valve, and splenic mass unchanged.

Rads today show large mass in mid abdomen pushing her SI dorsal into retroperitoneum and some caudal, and pushing LI into retroperitoneum. There was a suspicious soft tissue opacity in the are of the R ventricle but was not displacing trachea. My brief, crummy echo showed a heart base tumor.

I'm floored and sad and just want to cuddle her.

**** cancer!!! Took survey rads of my 10.5 yr old FS bloodhound today. Clinically normal. Just wanted to check on her spleen (known splenic mass that has never caused problems or changed in size, mild subaortic stenosis, bilateral cataracts, several lumps and bumps). Rads 1 year ago were boring. Echo and abdominal ultrasound 6 months ago showed mild turbulent flow through aortic valve, and splenic mass unchanged.

Rads today show large mass in mid abdomen pushing her SI dorsal into retroperitoneum and some caudal, and pushing LI into retroperitoneum. There was a suspicious soft tissue opacity in the are of the R ventricle but was not displacing trachea. My brief, crummy echo showed a heart base tumor.

I'm so sorry :(. I hope she stays clinically normal & happy for a long time.

Very sorry to hear this. :(

Sending you and your sweet dog lots of hugs.

I'm so sorry :(. I hope she stays clinically normal & happy for a long time.

Very sorry to hear this. :(

Sending you and your sweet dog lots of hugs.

Thank you both. My husband got her when she was a puppy. I've only been in the picture for a few years but dang, I was attached to her from day one. We are going to keep her happy as long as we can.

Last edited:
Ugh I'm obnoxiously hungover right now. Maybe it'll be a good thing when school starts and I become a responsible adult... maybe...

Reactions: 2 users
My emotionally disturbed, 20yo sister just quit her job to go to school full time, then decided to drop her CC class (giving he a second F and basically she will be dismissed), then wants to go back to an abusive boyfriend, won't take her meds or go to her doctors and somehow blames me and my parents! She is jealous I'm going off to college and have a great summer job (right now in Santa Fe for two weeks with my equine vet boss working a jumping show and getting to play polo on his horses). She says I have been handed everything by my parents. I can't get her to see I've worked my butt off to get scholarships, etc. to get into college and hopefully keep it all through vet school. She has been given every opportunity but finds reasons they are all awful. I can get why my parents are so frustrated with her. I'll be glad to be away at college! I wish my parents could get away too!

My emotionally disturbed, 20yo sister just quit her job to go to school full time, then decided to drop her CC class (giving he a second F and basically she will be dismissed), then wants to go back to an abusive boyfriend, won't take her meds or go to her doctors and somehow blames me and my parents! She is jealous I'm going off to college and have a great summer job (right now in Santa Fe for two weeks with my equine vet boss working a jumping show and getting to play polo on his horses). She says I have been handed everything by my parents. I can't get her to see I've worked my butt off to get scholarships, etc. to get into college and hopefully keep it all through vet school. She has been given every opportunity but finds reasons they are all awful. I can get why my parents are so frustrated with her. I'll be glad to be away at college! I wish my parents could get away too!
I'm sorry you're dealing with that, polo :(
You worked hard to get where you are! You deserve everything you have!!! I'm sorry she doesn't see that :(

(Also, I'm jealous of your jumping show job and getting to ride ponies)