RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you, Dr S! I wish I had been more firm about speaking up about it at my appointment last week, but I was a little nervous as it was to discuss starting an SSRI with my doctor and I wasn't really having a bad day back-wise. Yesterday and today were bad. I have been in a hunched position since work. Thankfully I have tomorrow off, but I am really concerned about how much pain I will be during our road trip to California next week! Darn you veterinary medicine, and what you do to our backs.
@wallydo ... I hope your upcoming drive to California will be comfortable, fun and scenic. Southern California is slowly emerging from a heatwave right now. I live by the water so the heatwave doesn't really impact me as much as the inland (e.g., hotter desert) areas of California. If you're driving around the inland areas, you might consider bringing a small ice chest with you. Then, if you want to soothe an aching back along the way, you can use ice (or soft ice packs) wrapped in a towel to apply to any aching parts of your body (e.g., back, neck, shoulders, headaches, whatever). Plus, you can carry chilled beverages and food, too.

Alternatively, if you want to contact me, I'll send the squirrel masseuse in the photo above to meet you in California. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My rabbits decided to do a jailbreak at 8 in the morning. I was sleeping on the couch so I could hear their little feet on the floors. Luckily they were hungry so it didn't take much to get them back to their pen. Bad bunnies. They leave a trail of poop and destruction across my living room when they get out. No paper goes unchewed.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Dr S!! :love: :love:
And I see your tagging feature is finally working for you again! That's good news!
@SkiOtter ... nope, it still isn't working properly.

On another note, I recently saw river otters when I was south of Yellowstone Park as well as in the Grand Tetons. They were super-cute and reminded me of you because you are the original "Otter!" :)

Reactions: 1 users
@SkiOtter ... nope, it still isn't working properly.

On another note, I recently saw river otters when I was south of Yellowstone Park as well as in the Grand Tetons. They were super-cute and reminded me of you because you are the original "Otter!" :)
Ah I spoke too soon!!
Awwww glad they reminded you of me :love:

My dog is staying at my parents' house while I do my independent study 2 hours away. I couldn't find pet friendly housing in time, and this was the only real solution. My mother was the one who suggested it in the first place and she has been doing 99% of the care-taking. She's been really great, aside from giving him lots of treats and peanut butter every day (eh, not ideal but I can live with that), and I try to come back on weekends to take care of the dog myself so she can get a break. Unfortunately, my father has been giving him people food, despite my repeatedly asking him and then sternly telling him not to. He just dismisses me and goes straight for the "back in my day" BS, when back in his day means South America in the 1950s. Because our understanding of canine health hasn't progressed from that point, and WHAT WOULD I KNOW about dogs anyway?

I just found out from my SIL that for the 4th of July, my brother came over with his family for a barbecue and was giving the dog meat. She called him out on my behalf and asked him to stop, and his response was, "Whatever, it's just a dog." He knows perfectly well that I don't feed my pets table scraps and that I specifically asked them all not to do that, but he doesn't care. I must be wrong, and he must be right because he has a penis, and I don't, and that's how it's always worked in this family. Besides, he used to feed his cat White Castle cheeseburgers, and the cat's still alive, so obviously it's okay to feed everyone else's pets whatever you think is appropriate regardless of their wishes. What pisses me off even more is that if the dog does get sick from them feeding him something he shouldn't be eating, they will do nothing to help. And my dad will probably laugh at how dumb I am for spending money on medical care, since he seems to think my giving the dog zonisamide for his seizures is absurd.

And then there's the behavioral aspect. My dog has become picky about his regular dog food that he used to scarf down in 5 seconds flat. I wonder why! He's become more blatant about begging at the dinner table, trying to put his feet up on it or rest his head on it while people are trying to eat. I wonder why! It's a total mystery, and I doubt we'll ever truly get to the bottom of it. But it's okay because this is my problem to deal with while my dad and brother can just go off on their merry way with nothing to worry about, satisfied to have been absolutely correct about everything yet again.

While I'm eternally grateful to my mother for taking care of my dog, I can't wait to bring him home at the end of the month. I know it's a common annoyance to have family, friends, and friends of friends of friends constantly contact you out of the blue for veterinary advice, but I'm at the point where I'd gladly trade this dismissive BS and total disrespect for a few of those "what do you think this blurry picture of this lump on my dog's belly means? should i give him more coconut oil? should i rub paprika on it?????" messages.

Had an interesting case today. Kinda taking some aspects out to make case details intentionally vague, but ... owners (not veterinarians) called to report they had performed a surgical procedure on their pet and it wasn't healing. Patient presents with a massive purulent lesion at the site of the procedure. And on Advil for pain.

Because that violates the practice act and is potentially animal cruelty, reporting is a no-brainer. Our policy, however, is to not inform the owners (at least initially) that we will be reporting them.

So I go in, offer an estimate for surgical correction. They decline due to cost (it was expensive - $1600, but it was a pretty nasty wound that was going to require quite a bit of time in surgery).

So I inform them that if they don't opt for treatment, I will be holding the patient overnight at our cost to transfer to Animal Control in the morning so that I can ensure it gets treatment.

After lots of discussion where I just keep repeating "You have two options; treat your patient and pick him up after recovery, or I will turn it over to AC." (At one point the owners asked directly if I'd be reporting it, and I acknowledged that I would, regardless of their choice. Of course, that just upset them more.)

Finally, at one point one of the owners steps toward me and tells me he can find out where I live and am I sure that's what I want?

So I step out, lock the doors separating the tx area from the exam rooms, and call the police so there's at least safety. Cops show up. After more discussion with the cops standing there to keep client from doing anything dumb, they agree to pay for tx.

So here I sit at home, handgun easily accessible, dog nearby because I trust his hearing. Sadly, as vets our names are out there for the world to see and in today's digital age, anyone's address is easy to find.

Welcome to vet med, pre-vets and vet students.......

Last edited:
Had an interesting case today. Kinda taking some aspects out to make case details intentionally vague, but ... owners (not veterinarians) called to report they had performed a surgical procedure on their pet and it wasn't healing. Patient presents with a massive purulent lesion at the site of the procedure. And on Advil for pain.

Because that violates the practice act and is potentially animal cruelty, reporting is a no-brainer. Our policy, however, is to not inform the owners (at least initially) that we will be reporting them.

So I go in, offer an estimate for surgical correction. They decline due to cost (it was expensive - $1600, but it was a pretty nasty wound that was going to require quite a bit of time in surgery).

So I inform them that if they don't opt for treatment, I will be holding the patient overnight at our cost to transfer to Animal Control in the morning so that I can ensure it gets treatment.

After lots of discussion where I just keep repeating "You have two options; treat your patient and pick him up after recovery, or I will turn it over to AC." (Either way I report the case, but our policy is not to tell owners that because all it does is escalate things. At one point the owners asked directly if I'd be reporting it, and I acknowledged that I would, regardless of their choice. Of course, that just upset them more.)

Finally, at one point one of the owners steps toward me and tells me he can find out where I live and am I sure that's what I want?

So I step out, lock the doors separating the tx area from the exam rooms, and call the police so there's at least safety. Cops show up. After more discussion with the cops standing there to keep client from doing anything dumb, they agree to pay for tx.

So here I sit at home, handgun easily accessible, dog nearby because I trust his hearing. Sadly, as vets our names are out there for the world to see and in today's digital age, anyone's address is easy to find.

I hope they were empty threats and everything is safe! That's a scary situation.

After lots of discussion where I just keep repeating "You have two options; treat your patient and pick him up after recovery, or I will turn it over to AC." (Either way I report the case, but our policy is not to tell owners that because all it does is escalate things. At one point the owners asked directly if I'd be reporting it, and I acknowledged that I would, regardless of their choice. Of course, that just upset them more.)

Holy ****. I'm glad that it seems to have turned out okay and they agreed to treat the animal, and hopefully that was just an empty threat...but wow. I've seen and heard so much already, but these kinds of things still don't cease to shock me.

Holy crap LIS. I've seen a similar situation, but they threatened to come to the practice rather than the doc's home. Stay safe!

Members don't see this ad :)

After lots of discussion where I just keep repeating "You have two options; treat your patient and pick him up after recovery, or I will turn it over to AC." (At one point the owners asked directly if I'd be reporting it, and I acknowledged that I would, regardless of their choice. Of course, that just upset them more.)

What the ****. Oh my god, how is that okay? Agh. I'm actually really upset about that. Not okay. Stay safe! Hope everything ends well (and you don't need the hand gun)

Wow LIS, I hope everything turns out ok. I know it was probably just emotional aggression but still holy cow!

@LetItSnow ... a big shout-out to you for remaining calm, professional and cool when threatened by irresponsible pet owners. Sorry you have to deal with these types of hostile and ungrateful clients in the first place.

Sorry people are ***holes, boss.

Thank god I haven't had one of those situations yet and I do say yet, because I feel like it's only a matter of time. Stay safe and I'm glad the dog is getting the treatment it needs.

My rant. I was at work an extra 5+ hours after my shift. And i have a "papercut" from the aluminum foil of my yogurt from yesterday and it hurts to type and such.

Rest In Piece my lower back

It is dead.:dead:
Update: I WALKED TODAY (like a grandma, but I'll take it)

PCP (different one than who I had seen for the other two bouts that were much less severe) thinks it's probably a herniated disc since it's happened before so MRI is happening Monday (I figured I'd be getting sent for one since I couldn't walk more than 7 steps on Saturday morning...)

Now it is time for a muscle relaxant nap

Two rants today:

Amazon left my textbooks outside in the rain so now they have wet corners and will probably always have wavy, water damaged edges. Thanks delivery person. Of all the things I just recently purchased, these little boxes that would have easily fit in between my front door and storm door are the ones most vulnerable to water damage. The package with the rabbit pen cover made it in between the doors. That thing is essentially a tarp and could sit outside forever in the weather and not show a damn mark.

I spent the second half of my day fixing geocoding issues in the state's reporting system. I have over 600 records with wonky addresses this month that I have to copy and paste into various mapping programs to see if they (1) even exist and (2) can be geocoded - basically they need the full nine digit zip codes (this is important when we make epi maps of the state). Lots of issues can make something fail to geocode - new housing development, improper street spelling, missing house numbers, fake address, etc. Today, the big problem seemed to be missing apartment numbers. As a perfectionist, it is a very frustrating task. Most addresses can't be reconciled with anything that exists and, the really important part that pisses me off the most, the majority of these errors are likely the result of people at the hospitals, labs, or local health departments making mistakes or taking shortcuts to enter the records into the system. Since my job entails a lot of data cleaning, I get to see those mistakes over and over and over again. With the geocoding crap I'd love it if we could tweak the SAS program and have it pull who/how the data entered the system. I want names so I can send out e-mails to the repeat offenders. We joke at work that the state doesn't have a lot of power, but, in reality, we just don't wield it very well. There is state law that lays out what needs to be reported. If people/places are consistently misreporting things, they're not in compliance with the law. Rawr.

My high school chemistry teacher committed suicide. His daughter messaged me this evening.

When I was 16, I was hospitalized for some mental health issues. I had him as a teacher at the time, and when I got back to school he reached out to me and told me his own story, about how he had gone through something similar.

We kept in touch after high school. He helped me through general chem when I took it at a community college. I would visit him at his house a few times a week, he would make me dinner and we would study together. We grew close, he knew about all of my personal struggles and vice versa, we tried to support each other through the hard times. What makes this even harder is that he spent a lot of time convincing me that suicide is not an option...but he chose it for himself. I'm in total shock and can't believe this happened.

He hadn't spoken to me for a couple of months, though he had reached out to me after graduation last month to congratulate me. I knew something was wrong because he used to check in at least once a week via facebook. I didn't call or message him too much because I felt like I would be bothering him. I had plans to visit him when I was in the area a few times over the past year, but something usually came up and it ended up not happening. I really regret those decisions now.

So sorry shelter. It must be quite the shock. We are here for you. Hugs and love your way!

Shelter, I'm so sorry. Here if you need to talk. <3

Thinking of you shelter, that is so sad.

There are a lot of things that go into someone committing suicide. Several years ago my brother was on suicide watch in a children's hospital, and I lived with him. I saw him everyday, he was one of my closest friends, and I still didn't know this huge thing was going on inside him. Point being, it's terrible and a really heartbreaking thing to experience, but I really hope you're not blaming yourself SM. At all. Mourn, but don't feel like your support wasn't enough.

I'm really, really sorry. :(

Reactions: 5 users
There are a lot of things that go into someone committing suicide. Several years ago my brother was on suicide watch in a children's hospital, and I lived with him. I saw him everyday, he was one of my closest friends, and I still didn't know this huge thing was going on inside him. Point being, it's terrible and a really heartbreaking thing to experience, but I really hope you're not blaming yourself SM. At all. Mourn, but don't feel like your support wasn't enough.

I'm really, really sorry. :(

I'll admit I'm blaming myself a little, but I'm more upset I hadn't been more persistent in keeping in touch just to have more time with him, whether or not it would have prevented what happened. I appreciate your words, and I'm also sorry to hear about your brother - I hope he's doing better.

Diagnosed with a pretty big DVT this afternoon. Depending on what hematologist says tomorrow, they may not let me drive back next week, according to my doctor.

Silver lining: extended vacation?

Ugh. That sucks :(

Yeah, it surprised me, too, since I had done these marathon drives before (my GP thinks my marathon drive from Illinois to my undergrad caused it). But it makes me thankful that I didn't trip and fall while I was hydrating at the festival last weekend.

Kittens know how to make you feel REALLY guilty about a lack of breakfast lol. She's first on our schedule for her spay this AM, so I'm trying to convince her it could be much worse. Poor kid isn't convinced haha.

Reactions: 6 users
Losses are inevitable on a farm, but **** me if I'm not bawling over losing a ewe to heat stress last night. I have not had to deal with the death of a pet for a very long time (she was one, as all my sheep have names and I love on the ones that will let me).

Losses are inevitable on a farm, but **** me if I'm not bawling over losing a ewe to heat stress last night. I have not had to deal with the death of a pet for a very long time (she was one, as all my sheep have names and I love on the ones that will let me).
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your little ewe. :(

Aw, no :( Do the other girls seem to be handling the heat ok?

I was in an airport twelve hours today. Probably 15 hours of travel all together, to go from Chicago to Baltimore. And I didn't even get to Baltimore! Had to take a different flight and abandon my bag for even a chance to get into the right region. By far the worst travel experience I have ever had, and I am so drained from the ordeal that I actually feel sick. :confused:

I adopted a male pittie a week ago. He does great with my hound mix. But, he is food aggressive with him. Luckily he does not care if I take his food away. He has snapped at my hound once for getting to close to his bowl when it was full (he doesn't care about the bowl when it is empty).We now feed them on opposite sides of the room.

I brought up a bag of dog food this afternoon from the basement and put it in the kitchen because their current bag is almost empty. I left it in the kitchen and took a nap on the couch. I thought it was weird that he wouldn't leave the kitchen, but thought he liked the feel of the cool tile. My other dog was pacing the whole time I was napping (argh!). My fiance went into the kitchen and my hound followed him. Pittie got really tense for a few seconds, and then went after my hound. In retrospect, he was likely resource guarding the bag of food I left out in the kitchen, and I just realized he was laying next to it when I had checked on him earlier. My poor hound has a small puncture on his jowl (my favorite part of him!) and a scratch on this face. It makes me so sad because it is entirely my fault for leaving the bag of food in the kitchen. I'm so upset with myself.
I have decided to start counter-conditioning him, so I hope that some of his inter-dog food aggression can reside.

Can't people get into arguements/disagreements without screaming at eachother and slamming doors?? Settle down people your shaking the entire apartment building

I was woken up at 12am and 2am to my neighbors having the exact same very loud argument that I complained about almost a month ago. I know it's the same argument because they are so fricking loud I can hear exactly what they're saying.

Also my husband just went to work and said she threw all his clothes and stuff off thier balcony into the front parking lot. I thought people only did stuff like that in movies.

Update: the guy picked up all his clothes that were up front, but has not yet discovered his golf clubs in the grass behind the building...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Was supposed to drive back to Iowa today... I've got a work meeting tomorrow morning. And I feel like a vomit-y, nauseous, shaky, generally gross piece of crap; it doesn't help matters that I got <4 hours of sleep last night, either. So that's probably not happening now. Ugh.
Uh-ooh ... that sounds unpleasant. Hope you begin to feel much better soon. :cat:

My waste of space older sister texted me at 10PM on my birthday to ask to borrow $50 for her staff party the next day. Based on how she was spelling things, she was drunk. She knows I'm carrying rent, plus the mortgage on the house and I don't have 2 frigging cents to my name right now. And who the hell asks someone for money on their birthday??

My waste of space older sister texted me at 10PM on my birthday to ask to borrow $50 for her staff party the next day. Based on how she was spelling things, she was drunk. She knows I'm carrying rent, plus the mortgage on the house and I don't have 2 frigging cents to my name right now. And who the hell asks someone for money on their birthday??
I'm sorry Coquette. That's so hard- she sounds like a terrible sister, I'm sorry you have/ had to deal with that. Apparently I didn't know about your birthday though! So happy belated birthday!!!! :hardy::hardy::hardy:

@Coquette22, did you have a birthday yesterday (Sunday), and we didn't know about it?

I'm sorry Coquette. That's so hard- she sounds like a terrible sister, I'm sorry you have/ had to deal with that. Apparently I didn't know about your birthday though! So happy belated birthday!!!! :hardy::hardy::hardy:

Happy belated @Coquette22 !!

I did indeed have a birthday on Saturday, the big 30. Had an awesome night with booze and games and laughs. I wish I could say I was surprised by what my sister did but it's par for the course. Need I add that she's 36, only works part time and my mother still pays her rent and my sister uses her 4 year old kid to get what she wants.

I did indeed have a birthday on Saturday, the big 30. Had an awesome night with booze and games and laughs. I wish I could say I was surprised by what my sister did but it's par for the course. Need I add that she's 36, only works part time and my mother still pays her rent and my sister uses her 4 year old kid to get what she wants.
The birthday sounds great! I'm glad you had a great time, regardless of ****ty family situations!

Also, if it makes you laugh, I almost used the other emoji with a party hat because I wasn't paying attention! :laugh:

:asshat::hardy:

I thought I saw some drunken photos from your birthday party on Saturday!

Happy belated Birthday @Coquette22! :)

drunk cat birtday.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sorry Coquette :( she sounds a bit like my cousin who only talks to me or wants to hang out with me when she wants something from me.

Happy belated birthday and I'm glad you had an awesome birthday with your friends regardless :hardy::love:

Happy belated bday, Coquette!

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your little ewe. :(

Thank you. I am so far keeping my mind off it thank goodness.

Aw, no :( Do the other girls seem to be handling the heat ok?

The others are doing fine. We check them morning and evening. She wasn't a monetarily expensive loss but we just bought a ewe that would be one to take to the university if she ends up heat stressed!

kind of minor/irrelevent rant but:
Even taking chem 2 for the second time, I'm still struggling with it.... I think i'll have no trouble passing, but a B at this point will be kind of a long shot... ugh. Wish I was better at this stuff. Also I have to move AGAIN in a couple weeks and it's regularly been 97 degrees here lately..ugh
bright side: summer semester is almost over (thank god) and while I still struggle with chemistry, I think I've made some progress on improving my study habits a lot this summer if nothing else, and I might have an interview at an emergency hospital for a vet assistant position :)