RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Real estate in Boston is really annoying. Was recommended someone who was supposed to be a great realtor at placing people who had dogs and she has so far encouraged me to lie about having a dog until my lease application is approved and the lease is signed, she's saying that we absolutely have to sign a document saying we've seen the apartments and leases even though we haven't, and she wants checks for first month and broker fee before we see a single place. Seems pretty sketchy, but I know the real estate market is really different in Boston so I have no idea what to believe.

that sounds super sketchy. I'd steer clear of that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
that sounds super sketchy. I'd steer clear of that.

That was my instinct. Just disappointing because she did appear to have some really promising listings :(

Ditto on the sketchy!! You should definitely find someone else to help you out. If you lie on your app about having a pet they can evict you and then you are totally SOL :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto on the sketchy!! You should definitely find someone else to help you out. If you lie on your app about having a pet they can evict you and then you are totally SOL :confused:
Right? That's what I was thinking. Not to mention, I don't really want to start off my lease by lying to my landlord and fostering a bad relationship...

Reactions: 1 user
Wait people use realtors to find rentals??
Yes. The market is fairly against people looking for apartments here. Stuff goes insanely fast and there's a large number of units that are only available through a realtor. Even if you find an apartment on your own, more often than not you have to pay a broker fee because whoever the landlord hired to list their unit passes it on to you.

... 'bout had a "kids get off my lawn" moment. Two little boys were playing on the hill behind my condo block and one of them ran down and into my fenced in trash area while I was out watering my plants. He then started pushing on the locked gate to the actual patio. I was just standing there thinking "WTF, does he not know I'm right here?" I fought a very strong urge to spray him through the fence with the hose. Shoo little urchins!

I'm not a big fan of unsupervised children.

... 'bout had a "kids get off my lawn" moment. Two little boys were playing on the hill behind my condo block and one of them ran down and into my fenced in trash area while I was out watering my plants. He then started pushing on the locked gate to the actual patio. I was just standing there thinking "WTF, does he not know I'm right here?" I fought a very strong urge to spray him through the fence with the hose. Shoo little urchins!

:coffee:

I used to generally feel slightly more positive than completely neutral towards children, but after living down here where they are constantly walking past my front yard coming to and from school and/or unsupervised in the streets all the dang time and I've caught them so many times writing on my (and my neighbors') cars, hitting the cars, kicking the cars, etc. as well as lunging at our dogs thru the gate to get a rise out of them, throwing rocks and other misc. at them when they think you're not there looking, and generally doing lots of other ****ty things to animals, not to mention the inevitable child that lunges and tries to attach itself to my poor slightly-scared-of-small-humans dog whenever we fly despite all the "please don't pet me I am working" stuff plastered all over her.... SO much dislike for the unsupervised child these days.

I just extracted a large, disgusting, engorged tick from my scalp...... :barf:

And now commence the paranoia about contracting a tick borne disease....

As someone who is still suffering the effects of incorrectly diagnosed Lyme by a stubborn nurse practitioner who would not listen to my nurse mother (20 years later).... go to the doctor and get some bloodwork so you can get some drugs if you need them.

Damn I am all over this thread lately -_-

giphy.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I screamed and flung it across the parking lot when I found it....

but then I begrudgingly found it again to take a picture in case I needed the ID of that little turd......

Reactions: 6 users
As someone who is still suffering the effects of incorrectly diagnosed Lyme by a stubborn nurse practitioner who would not listen to my nurse mother (20 years later).... go to the doctor and get some bloodwork so you can get some drugs if you need them.

Damn I am all over this thread lately -_-
Will most likely be visiting the doc soon, especially if any symptoms show up... :barf:

I'm still paranoid I picked something up from 1 of the 20+ ticks that were crawling on me when I went chasing for the escaped dog for several hours a few months ago...

Real estate in Boston is really annoying. Was recommended someone who was supposed to be a great realtor at placing people who had dogs and she has so far encouraged me to lie about having a dog until my lease application is approved and the lease is signed, she's saying that we absolutely have to sign a document saying we've seen the apartments and leases even though we haven't, and she wants checks for first month and broker fee before we see a single place. Seems pretty sketchy, but I know the real estate market is really different in Boston so I have no idea what to believe.

It's typical in Boston and surrounding areas to require the equivalent of 3 months rent up front. First, last, and realtor fee. Pet friendly rentals are scarce in the city any many rentals are occupied by college students in certain areas. Are you looking in Boston proper or near Boston?

It's typical in Boston and surrounding areas to require the equivalent of 3 months rent up front. First, last, and realtor fee. Pet friendly rentals are scarce in the city any many rentals are occupied by college students in certain areas. Are you looking in Boston proper or near Boston?
Near Boston. I'm aware that first, last, and realtor fee are pretty standard up front but writing a check for that before even looking at a place seems a little ridiculous.

Near Boston. I'm aware that first, last, and realtor fee are pretty standard up front but writing a check for that before even looking at a place seems a little ridiculous.
How do they even know what your first and last will be without looking :eek: is it a we won't cash it until we find you something? That's crazy sauce!

Having rented apartments in Boston before ... never paid that upfront! Paid it all after finding a specific apartment. Sounds very sketchy to want it before...

Ditto, last week. It was disgusting. I find ticks on me daily. We don't even have prime real estate for ticks on our property!! I have a tick jar in the bathroom now for me; the dogs are lucky and take Nexgard...

Edit: 2 new ticks found after just standing with the a/c repairman for an hour. :vomit:

Last edited:
I've heard of people putting seresto collars on their ankles when going out for a hike. :laugh:
Me too. And a vet and I debated the merits of putting them on children who like to crawl through bushes and leaf piles.

So I came across this in my FB news feed today:
Police: Woman performed dog’s surgery with knife, tongs in living room

I just... I don't even know how to respond to something like that. And I know that it probably happens more often than we realize.

I'm sure that proper anesthesia/analgesia was the last thing on the lady's mind when she cut into her dog, so I can only imagine how much pain it must have been in before it died. Poor thing.
"[She] told police that she believed she could perform the surgery herself because she grew up on a farm and had castrated pigs before."

YEAH, BECAUSE THAT'S DEFINITELY THE SAME ****ING THING. I feel bad for that poor dog :(

I screamed and flung it across the parking lot when I found it....

but then I begrudgingly found it again to take a picture in case I needed the ID of that little turd......
My husband found a tick near the back of my neck and I almost started crying. Haha I swear I'm not very squeamish around bugs but the idea of a bug latching onto me without realizing it freaks me out..

Reactions: 1 users
Ditto, last week. It was disgusting. I find ticks on me daily. We don't even have prime real estate for ticks on our property!! I have a tick jar in the bathroom now for me; the dogs are lucky and take Nexgard...

Edit: 2 new ticks found after just standing with the a/c repairman for an hour. :vomit:

I have a tick jar in our bathroom as well! my wife makes me hide it whenever company comes over.

Reactions: 2 users
It is projected to be a horrible year for ticks almost everywhere in the US.

By that I mean, it will actually be a great year for ticks, not so much for the things they parasitize.

S20170620_0001.jpg

I just... I don't even know how to respond to something like that. And I know that it probably happens more often than we realize.

I'm sure that proper anesthesia/analgesia was the last thing on the lady's mind when she cut into her dog, so I can only imagine how much pain it must have been in before it died. Poor thing. There are people on FB lambasting ISU contacting the police and/or recommending euthanasia if removal of the obstruction wasn't an option, but at least that would have been humane and far, far more peaceful than performing DIY surgery in a living room.
Wow! That's truly terrible! I'm not even sure how she was able to cut into a dog that wasn't anesthetized! Poor pupper. ISU absolutely did the right thing. I'm actually surprised they contacted the police, but I'm glad they did.

How do they even know what your first and last will be without looking :eek: is it a we won't cash it until we find you something? That's crazy sauce!
Yeah, I don't know. That was definitely a question I had as well.

For those looking for an update on my family after the asbestos thing, the short answer is we still have very little furniture, but we are fine. I wrote a longer answer in the depression thread in the lounge.

I'm just glad you guys are ok. Positive juju to your family.
Well, there is drama on a few other fronts, but we are still ok. Hopefully I can find a way to keep my animals and just sell everything in the house, but that is another story....

Oh, and on a funnier storyline, my stepmother discovered that my dad had drained her accounts when he ran away, but last I heard, did not realize that he was leaving for a newer, younger Internet girlfriend. I am still waiting to see if she is real...:laugh:

That might only be funny with more context or a broken sense of humor.o_O

I'm sure that proper anesthesia/analgesia was the last thing on the lady's mind when she cut into her dog, so I can only imagine how much pain it must have been in before it died. Poor thing. There are people on FB lambasting ISU contacting the police and/or recommending euthanasia if removal of the obstruction wasn't an option, but at least that would have been humane and far, far more peaceful than performing DIY surgery in a living room.
And she only faces a maximum of a year in jail? What in the world.

So I'm home for the weekend and we had a calf die (2-3 weeks old) Friday morning. My dad and I took it to the diagnostic lab for a necropsy. We have another calf with same symptoms (weakness, lethargy) that is still alive. My dad sends me to Rural King to get a tube since it's not eating from a bottle. The pathologist suggested it might be bacterial so I got penicillin and some lube for the tube. Everything cost like $45. Come back and dad complains of spending that much... come to find on presentation the calf has maggots in the navel area with a swollen umbilical cord area.. peeing out maggots.. lovely. I couldn't help but cry in anger in that my dad didn't put iodine on it when they were born... apparently he never has and we've never had this problem with calves.. went on to say that no one puts iodine or disinfectant on the navel when the calf if born (maybe farmers with a few calves)... proceeded to say I know nothing. At least I was able to get the tube in to feed it and I gave it LA (antibiotic) and Penicillin shots... it perked up a little but may be too far gone with sepsis and everything to come out of it. My parents never take our dogs to the vet and my dad only does the bare minimum with the cattle (vaccines once a year and castration)... I'm like I wonder what he thinks of me becoming a vet... maybe a failure/worthless. He's never said anything but his actions tonight just had me think.. sorry for the long post... it's nice to vent.

Delayed flight #1 led to missing my connection in Atlanta. Managed to get a standby seat on a flight a few hours later only to be told there was a temporary grounding of flights heading south due to weather. Finally make it home.

Walk in my apartment and see carpet ripped up, fans blowing on the carpet, and my stuff moved everywhere. I get a call from maintenance and am told that my water heater had been leaking, probably for a couple days, and they noticed it because there was water dripping in the guy below me's apartment and when they couldn't find the source they came into my place and found the mess. I am grateful they noticed and already had cleanup in progress, but I'm not looking forward to straightening my apartment back up once the carpet dries.

Oh, and I got another jury duty summons today. And it's for the week when new house officers arrive that we aren't allowed to be gone plus I was already excused from jury duty once. My residency coordinator said last time I'd have to take vacation days if I wanted to serve it but it sucks to be forced to use vacation for something that is involuntary, a civic duty or whatever, and (though unlikely) could go on longer than my vacation days allow. Plus jury duty is a separate column on our leave applications so I have a little bit of doubt about it being vacation in the university's eyes. But I guess we'll see.

It's been a stressful day and I need a drink or a nap. Probably going to go for the nap to avoid the chance for more things to happen.

For those looking for an update on my family after the asbestos thing, the short answer is we still have very little furniture, but we are fine. I wrote a longer answer in the depression thread in the lounge.

There's a depression thread in the lounge? Is that for depressed people to air their grievances?

Delayed flight #1 led to missing my connection in Atlanta. Managed to get a standby seat on a flight a few hours later only to be told there was a temporary grounding of flights heading south due to weather. Finally make it home.

Walk in my apartment and see carpet ripped up, fans blowing on the carpet, and my stuff moved everywhere. I get a call from maintenance and am told that my water heater had been leaking, probably for a couple days, and they noticed it because there was water dripping in the guy below me's apartment and when they couldn't find the source they came into my place and found the mess. I am grateful they noticed and already had cleanup in progress, but I'm not looking forward to straightening my apartment back up once the carpet dries.

Oh, and I got another jury duty summons today. And it's for the week when new house officers arrive that we aren't allowed to be gone plus I was already excused from jury duty once. My residency coordinator said last time I'd have to take vacation days if I wanted to serve it but it sucks to be forced to use vacation for something that is involuntary, a civic duty or whatever, and (though unlikely) could go on longer than my vacation days allow. Plus jury duty is a separate column on our leave applications so I have a little bit of doubt about it being vacation in the university's eyes. But I guess we'll see.

It's been a stressful day and I need a drink or a nap. Probably going to go for the nap to avoid the chance for more things to happen.

Can you ask them to schedule you for another week? When I got mine, I told them I was a health care professional and was having trouble with coverage for my patients that week - week after New years, boss was on vacation. They moved me into a special group that could only be selected for 1 day trials, and moved it to a week that was more convenient for my work schedule. All I had to do was call in the night before, luckily never had to go in.

My new upstairs neighbors are horrible. I've been trying to give them the benefit of the doubt seeing as they've just moved in, but they've been here for two weeks and literally stomp around ALL freaking day. It's like they never sit down and they walk/stomp around so loud that my walls literally shake. Anyone have any ideas/experience on how to handle and approach them about this without being rude? I'm already about at my wits end but trying to be patient.

My new upstairs neighbors are horrible. I've been trying to give them the benefit of the doubt seeing as they've just moved in, but they've been here for two weeks and literally stomp around ALL freaking day. It's like they never sit down and they walk/stomp around so loud that my walls literally shake. Anyone have any ideas/experience on how to handle and approach them about this without being rude? I'm already about at my wits end but trying to be patient.

Unfortunately, that might have more to do with the floors than anything else. You can check your lease for anything relevant- some require rugs on a certain percentage of the floor to cut down on noise. You can also talk to your landlord, of course.

If it's not at odd hours, there's probably not much that can be done. I doubt they're actually stomping and you can't really ask neighbors to sit more. But if they just moved in a few weeks ago, there probably is more unpacking and movement than there will be later, so hopefully it'll quiet down soon!

You might want to check local law. I know in CO, they had to give you paid time off for jury duty. It had limits and such, but they couldn't make you use your vacation for a civic duty.

tumblr_n1xv0cIR4K1qigluvo2_250.gif

You might want to check local law. I know in CO, they had to give you paid time off for jury duty. It had limits and such, but they couldn't make you use your vacation for a civic duty.
I did do that last night. From what I found online about my current state, it looks like they have to give you leave but they don't have to pay you. So I think I could take unpaid leave OR choose to take vacation so that I could get paid my full salary for any days I missed. And if you are taking unpaid leave, the state will pay you $15/day! Score (*sarcasm* but hey it is also 'free' money so I'd take it)!

The carpet in my living room seems dried out now. Still working on the hall, dining room, bedroom, and bedroom closet. I also realized they didn't empty a closet directly across from the water heater closet, so I had to remove everything from that closet so the carpet could dry in there. But at least things are drying out.