RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's about where I'm at. Two years out. I enjoy the medicine part of emergency medicine but the hours and the (too low) ratio of good:bad clients don't counterbalance the pros (fun medicine, decent pay) enough that, given the option to go back in time, I'd do it over again.

Definitely in the camp of being a vet (at least being a SA GP) is my job, not my calling or destiny or whatever some of my classmates believe it to be. Currently, I work part time. Obviously not sustainable in the least, but my SO (also a vet) and I are taking steps toward opening our own clinic. We both are decent at setting boundaries with clients. I think a self-run clinic would allow us to maintain SOME quality of life compared to our current work situations (I commute >1 hr each way to work; he works for a facility that uses him for his arms and nothing else). Still, I wouldn't go back and do this over again except that I feel like I met my soulmate through going to vet school. :shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
FWIW, I personally don't know that I'd do it all again - there are parts I am loving and find fulfilling and parts that frustrate me to no end that I hate. Is it worth the price - financially, emotionally, time-wise? Probably not, at least for me. I don't know that I'll leave vet med any time soon but I am definitely feeling like it's a job, no more and no less. Everyone will hate things about their job - there is no perfect place. But not everyone has to go into that much debt to hate their job ;)

I like my job most of the time and my specialty, but I doubt I'd do it all over again. Not with the loans, the endless years of training and generally poor work:life balance. It's still a job, it still feels like work (none of that "not working a day in your life" if you're passionate bull****). I have no plans to leave the profession anytime soon, but if I could time travel and be a little bird on my 19 year old self's shoulder, I'd probably end up somewhere very different.

Reactions: 1 users
Only a year out so get my opinion again in a year or two, but I would do it again right now. There are some days I'm exhausted and worn out and grumpy af but I generally like going to work, like the people I work with and most of the clients. I need to work on balance a bit more but... I'm glad I'm doing what I'm doing right now.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A recent grad friend of mine just posted a FB status low-key shaming any vet who is salty about being asked for medical advice anywhere outside the clinic/by people you haven't talked to in years. I don't even know where to start with this.

Reactions: 1 user
Feel free to vent to me anytime, my residency struggles are different since different field/different program but I totally get the frustrations. I'm so glad to have my other resident buddies for support. My residency program is on the verge of not existing in 6 months :unsure:
I wish I had resident buddies to commiserate with, but I'm the only one in my department. It's quite lonely. Totally not the same commiserating with radiology office mates.

I wish I had resident buddies to commiserate with, but I'm the only one in my department. It's quite lonely. Totally not the same commiserating with radiology office mates.
my resident buddies are actually the other 1st years in other departments and not my actual department mates. my department mates...i'm sorta friends with one of the 3, but not really any of the others if it makes you feel better. the 1st years do a weekly brunch and hang out together from time to time, as well as all the hallway commiseration.

Took yesterday off from work sick. Thought, "Hey, maybe I should try to get back a couple hours by going in early and staying late on Friday." Not doing that again. I can't tell if I'm feverish or sunburned or a little bit of both, either way I feel like ****.

Members don't see this ad :)
4 days till surgery :eek: and I'm wondering how many different nightmares I can have about this... :( I've had several so far, and it's not comforting.

So far in 2017:
1. My father spent 2 months in the hospital (not including last year) before unexpectedly dying
2. My mentor quit my residency (retired...) on top of another faculty member leaving. I'm currently in danger of being jobless in about 6 months. Until either another faculty member is hired or the program is terminated, life on clinics is going to be absolutely miserable because we are so insanely short-staffed and only have one (typically non-clinical) faculty member to cover 100% of clinics.
3. My grandmother's (father's mother) dog developed renal failure on top of historical CHF and was euthanized. Her only companion at 90 years old when her health is already failing. (as a side note, do not just randomly start increasing Lasix doses without having evidence if a need for increase.)
4. My brother's long term GF's father up and ditched his family. She's a mess, and talk about salt in a wound for my brother (and us).
5. My car has been intermittently shaking when I drive it. Tonight, the shaking was at its worst, and when I got home something smelled like it was burning. Apparently there's only 1 drop of oil left, so until I can bribe someone to help me get more oil, it's undrivable.
6. As I was writing an email to my landlord stating that I will not accept his terms for leasing and provided an alternative, water starts leaking from my ceiling because it's raining outside.

I am tired, so tired of this year. At times, the burden is suffocating. I just want a do-over or rewind on these last 6 months. Is that too much to ask? I dread all the surprises still to come in the next 6 months left in 2017.

So far in 2017:
1. My father spent 2 months in the hospital (not including last year) before unexpectedly dying
2. My mentor quit my residency (retired...) on top of another faculty member leaving. I'm currently in danger of being jobless in about 6 months. Until either another faculty member is hired or the program is terminated, life on clinics is going to be absolutely miserable because we are so insanely short-staffed and only have one (typically non-clinical) faculty member to cover 100% of clinics.
3. My grandmother's (father's mother) dog developed renal failure on top of historical CHF and was euthanized. Her only companion at 90 years old when her health is already failing. (as a side note, do not just randomly start increasing Lasix doses without having evidence if a need for increase.)
4. My brother's long term GF's father up and ditched his family. She's a mess, and talk about salt in a wound for my brother (and us).
5. My car has been intermittently shaking when I drive it. Tonight, the shaking was at its worst, and when I got home something smelled like it was burning. Apparently there's only 1 drop of oil left, so until I can bribe someone to help me get more oil, it's undrivable.
6. As I was writing an email to my landlord stating that I will not accept his terms for leasing and provided an alternative, water starts leaking from my ceiling because it's raining outside.

I am tired, so tired of this year. At times, the burden is suffocating. I just want a do-over or rewind on these last 6 months. Is that too much to ask? I dread all the surprises still to come in the next 6 months left in 2017.
I offer internet hugz! *Pat pat* it will be ok.

So far in 2017:

I'm sorry jmo. :( that sucks. We're here for you! *hugs*

So far in 2017:

@jmo1012 ... doing the same thing as Coop and cdo ... and sending you lots of good thoughts and hugs. Hope things get better for you!

So far in 2017:

Here here! This year and last year can go suck an egg. :blackeye::wtf:

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:
:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:
I send you my happiest and most supportive thoughts!

Sorry to hear that ):

Sending you every bit of happy through mystical airwaves.

Hope everything is okay! Happy thoughts for you!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
I was promised a phone call or something as a response tomorrow after I sent a "Please, please, no!" letter on Friday night. I don't know if anything will change, and with what happened, I don't know if I should accept if it does, but my world absolutely crumbles to nothing if the bad thing is real. We still haven't recovered from the last bad (and good) things. We can't really take more. We'll have to find a way.

We spent the weekend doing the happy things we had already planned. Reality tomorrow. I am dreading it. I have no idea what to hope for or how to explain it and it does not help that others involved have said the same thing.

Reactions: 6 users
I was promised a phone call or something as a response tomorrow after I sent a "Please, please, no!" letter on Friday night. I don't know if anything will change, and with what happened, I don't know if I should accept if it does, but my world absolutely crumbles to nothing if the bad thing is real. We still haven't recovered from the last bad (and good) things. We can't really take more. We'll have to find a way.

We spent the weekend doing the happy things we had already planned. Reality tomorrow. I am dreading it. I have no idea what to hope for or how to explain it and it does not help that others involved have said the same thing.

I don't have a good idea what's being thrown your way but it sounds awful. My thoughts are with you, LoTF. I really hope it resolves well.

Arranged to go see kinda-SO over Canada Day weekend. Then he just found out that they're starting him on nights that same weekend.

**** **** **** **** ****. Not fair.

Can't catch a break.

Arranged to go see kinda-SO over Canada Day weekend. Then he just found out that they're starting him on nights that same weekend.

**** **** **** **** ****. Not fair.

Can't catch a break.
:(:(:(

This is the perfect opportunity then to learn how to stand up for yourself.
Your work situation sounds eerily similar to my old clinic, and I had your same personality - I put up with a lot of crap from my boss just because I didn't want the mess of a confrontation, and it was just easier to take it. That absolutely contributed to the disaster that was last summer - it's really hard to break out of that kind of relationship when you've finally had enough.

Thank you both for your advice. I am continually working on being better about breaking my bad habits and sticking up for myself. I know that I will be much better off in the long run and it's always good to be reminded of that. Since I posted this, my work situation has been improving, so I'm glad for that.

Bolding mine. There is zero reason to mention this. Stereotypes suck.
Sorry! People around here speak fluently in stereotypes and it's an old habit I'm trying to break. I in no way meant it to be interpreted as malicious and didn't really think about it before posting.

Sorry! People around here speak fluently in stereotypes and it's an old habit I'm trying to break. I in no way meant it to be interpreted as malicious and didn't really think about it before posting.
Apology accepted. :) I hope your work situation improves. I know the toll that a toxic environment can take on one's mental health.

I dropped a 2.5 lb plate right on my big toe and it's throbbing.

Also moving sucks. I absolute hate packing because it makes me realize how unorganized my life is.

Reactions: 4 users
After spending several hours mucking around and getting my class schedule for next year nicely figured out I realized that I used the course calendar from 2016-2017, not 2017-2018.

It's a little thing, but oh so soul sucking to discover that all my Tetris-ing of classes was for naught. I'll be back at it again tomorrow, I guess.

After spending several hours mucking around and getting my class schedule for next year nicely figured out I realized that I used the course calendar from 2016-2017, not 2017-2018.

It's a little thing, but oh so soul sucking to discover that all my Tetris-ing of classes was for naught. I'll be back at it again tomorrow, I guess.

Ugh, that's so annoying. Get some rest and refresh and you'll (probably...maybe..?) feel like doing it again! :p

My out of state tuition/fees went up almost $3,000 from last year to this year. I so wish I had an in state option I could have applied to.

So because I have to quit my full time job to start vet school I have to get the school's health insurance - they just emailed us about it and it costs over 6x what I'm paying right now and specifically says it doesn't cover anything dental or vision related, both of which I need. I have no idea where to go from here. Time to get some cavities I guess.

So because I have to quit my full time job to start vet school I have to get the school's health insurance - they just emailed us about it and it costs over 6x what I'm paying right now and specifically says it doesn't cover anything dental or vision related, both of which I need. I have no idea where to go from here. Time to get some cavities I guess.

I'm in a similar situation :(

Are you OOS? Part of my problem is that I won't move with enough time to establish residency and get insurance before school starts. If you're IS, you may be able to get new insurance once you quit your job (leaving your job is a qualifying event).

My school's insurance is super expensive, but it looks like I'll only have to do it for one semester. By the time the spring semester starts, I'll have established residency and should be able to get cheap (or maybe even free) insurance through Obamacare/Medicaid.

Get free insurance through medicaid... that's what I did while I was in school.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in a similar situation :(

Are you OOS? Part of my problem is that I won't move with enough time to establish residency and get insurance before school starts. If you're IS, you may be able to get new insurance once you quit your job (leaving your job is a qualifying event).

My school's insurance is super expensive, but it looks like I'll only have to do it for one semester. By the time the spring semester starts, I'll have established residency and should be able to get cheap (or maybe even free) insurance through Obamacare/Medicaid.

I'm moving from Florida (resident) to Mass like a week before school starts, so thats probably not enough time to do anything, right? I went to the healthcare.gov site just now to see if that was an option (knowing literally zero things about insurance) and it kicked me out because I'm not a Mass resident. I sent the school's email to my parents to see if they knew more than me - I've had great insurance through my job since I got too old to be on theirs so I'm totally starting from scratch knowledge-wise.

How does Medicaid even work? (i thought it was for old people......srsly know nothing...)

I'm moving from Florida (resident) to Mass like a week before school starts, so thats probably not enough time to do anything, right? I went to the healthcare.gov site just now to see if that was an option (knowing literally zero things about insurance) and it kicked me out because I'm not a Mass resident. I sent the school's email to my parents to see if they knew more than me - I've had great insurance through my job since I got too old to be on theirs so I'm totally starting from scratch knowledge-wise.

How does Medicaid even work? (i thought it was for old people......srsly know nothing...)

Just need to have your Mass address, might need to get a Mass driver's license but then you should be fine.

Yeah, probably. I don't know how much it varies state-to-state, but I was told that when you apply you get insurance for the next month so to get insurance for August I'd actually need to have proof of residency and apply in July. I found this on Tuft's website which seems to suggest you need to show proof of insurance by June 30 (or get the school's insurance) so that might be the real issue. If you call student health services, they should be able to help you out with your options.

So Medicaid is for people who can't afford insurance on their own. Medicare is the one for older people. But yeah, you go to healthcare.gov or a state-specific one (sorry, don't know anything about Massachusetts) and basically fill out a form.

Yeah, probably. I don't know how much it varies state-to-state, but I was told that when you apply you get insurance for the next month so to get insurance for August I'd actually need to have proof of residency and apply in July. I found this on Tuft's website which seems to suggest you need to show proof of insurance by June 30 (or get the school's insurance) so that might be the real issue. If you call student health services, they should be able to help you out with your options.

So Medicaid is for people who can't afford insurance on their own. Medicare is the one for older people. But yeah, you go to healthcare.gov or a state-specific one (sorry, don't know anything about Massachusetts) and basically fill out a form.

I've essentially opted in to the school insurance already because I wanted it to cover the rabies series, but I'm definitely going to get in touch with the school just to understand this a little better.

(I had to have my dentist essentially walk me through my insurance to explain how it worked - I really wish I could have taken a class on this or something hah)

Get free insurance through medicaid... that's what I did while I was in school.
Ditto :thumbup: When I moved to AZ two years ago I was able to get it even though I was OOS because I was in school here. I just had to provide proof of my address (lease) and an electric or water bill in my name.

I've essentially opted in to the school insurance already because I wanted it to cover the rabies series, but I'm definitely going to get in touch with the school just to understand this a little better.

(I had to have my dentist essentially walk me through my insurance to explain how it worked - I really wish I could have taken a class on this or something hah)

Yeah, seriously! It's so needlessly complicated.

Ditto :thumbup: When I moved to AZ two years ago I was able to get it even though I was OOS because I was in school here. I just had to provide proof of my address (lease) and an electric or water bill in my name.

Yeah I'm not saying you can't get it if you're OOS, just that you have to have proof of residency, and that can be tough to get before school deadlines.

Were you able to get insurance before you moved, or was the school okay with you not having insurance for a little while? (Or did you move far enough in advance that you were able to get everything settled before the school's deadline?)

Just got the call that my parents'/the family dog is going to be put down in like an hour. This is the daughter of the dog that we had to put down while I was home on break after my first semester of vet school. I was the first person to hold her the moment she came out of the womb (via c-section) when I was in high school. She literally has been in our family since the moment she was conceived and she is the last little piece of her mother, who was our first family dog, the dog that made me realize I wanted to be a vet, the reason I am now a crazy weim person, and just an all around amazing dog.

I feel like I am saying goodbye to a sibling from 1700 miles away. The most intuitive dog I have ever known - always coming to be a 70lb lap dog when you need her to, without even having to call her. She's been declining for a bit but I was holding on to a tiny piece of hope that when the time came I would be a vet already and could be the one to give her peace.

I has the sads :sorry:

Just got the call that my parents'/the family dog is going to be put down in like an hour. This is the daughter of the dog that we had to put down while I was home on break after my first semester of vet school. I was the first person to hold her the moment she came out of the womb (via c-section) when I was in high school. She literally has been in our family since the moment she was conceived and she is the last little piece of her mother, who was our first family dog, the dog that made me realize I wanted to be a vet, the reason I am now a crazy weim person, and just an all around amazing dog.

I feel like I am saying goodbye to a sibling from 1700 miles away. The most intuitive dog I have ever known - always coming to be a 70lb lap dog when you need her to, without even having to call her. She's been declining for a bit but I was holding on to a tiny piece of hope that when the time came I would be a vet already and could be the one to give her peace.

I'm so sorry Weim <3
**Hugs**

Hugs!

I'm so sorry :(

I'm so very sorry WeimMama. Loyal companions are so hard to lose and impossible to forget. Hugs.

Real estate in Boston is really annoying. Was recommended someone who was supposed to be a great realtor at placing people who had dogs and she has so far encouraged me to lie about having a dog until my lease application is approved and the lease is signed, she's saying that we absolutely have to sign a document saying we've seen the apartments and leases even though we haven't, and she wants checks for first month and broker fee before we see a single place. Seems pretty sketchy, but I know the real estate market is really different in Boston so I have no idea what to believe.