Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duke1K

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious: Looking at the Doximity rankings, the programs listed don't quite resemble where I'd expect them to be. I know there's wide variation in types of applicants that residencies are looking for, and that Doximity probably favors older programs due to their methodology, but I'd expect BWH/CHB and HUP/CHOP to essentially be #1 and #2, given the strengths of their separate departments. Additionally, MGH is relatively high even though their peds department is not strong, and JHU is relatively low when I'd expect it to be higher.

Is Doximity for med-peds not even good enough as a rough ballpark? Are there more established rankings or tiers anywhere? What are the best programs by your estimation?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious: Looking at the Doximity rankings, the programs listed don't quite resemble where I'd expect them to be. I know there's wide variation in types of applicants that residencies are looking for, and that Doximity probably favors older programs due to their methodology, but I'd expect BWH/CHB and HUP/CHOP to essentially be #1 and #2, given the strengths of their separate departments. Additionally, MGH is relatively high even though their peds department is not strong, and JHU is relatively low when I'd expect it to be higher.

Is Doximity for med-peds not even good enough as a rough ballpark? Are there more established rankings or tiers anywhere? What are the best programs by your estimation?

So, Doximity in general has a bad rep for rankings (though what is better I don't know). That said, I'd agree with the top 2 for sure in either order, just from what I've heard from various med peds attendings around the country, since doximity is based on word of mouth. The programs below are more your typical eastern academic institutions, with Christiana and Baystate in there because (1) they are huge in the national scene for med peds, and (2) they work really hard to build a true med peds system. That clinic at Baystate was all you could hope for in an urban outpatient clinic. Long sotry short, I acutally like that list. Others may disagree...

I matched at my #3, which is ranked in the 70s out of 79 programs. There are some programs in the top half of the list that I was really unimpressed with, and clearly some lower on the list that I thought were great places to train. That said, I'll admit that my top two were both "top ten" programs that I loved, and the top of the list is probably relatively accurate in broad strokes.

There is a lot of intricacies to the programs. As mentioned, Dr. Friedland at Christiana Care together with the people at Baystate are huge names in the med-peds world, hence the high reputation. Rochester and UNC are the two oldest programs, so they run like clockwork. On the other hand, I believe it wasn't that long ago that Penn was still in the process of hiring its own program director and had a fairly poor unity between the two sides. Johns Hopkins is super specialized and won't interview you if you are not 100% urban primary care all the way. There are so many different variables that "best" will change based on what you are looking at.

does anybody have doximity rankings?