Ranking tips for 2017 Pain Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjumcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,
Need help ranking.

Please, how would you rank these fine programs?

Texas Tech | St. Luke's Roosevelt | Mayo | UVA | Mount Sinai | Emory | UPMC | NYU | Columbia

Goal: no geographical ties. Looking for program that would offer best training & long term career benefit. Not sure how to rank. Not sure if I'll stay in academia or Private Practice. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

which one did you feel most comfortable?

when you are looking at good programs, go with your gut feeling where you would be happiest - both from program and from location standpoint.

in the end, unless you are dedicated in to going into academia, it doesnt matter. you will be a board certified pain doc, and then it will be time for you to really start learning how to manage pain.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo and TT are two of the best programs in the country

you can live anywhere for a year of training. it might be more difficult flying to interviews that one year from rochester and lubbock

Reactions: 1 user
I'll echo what Ducttape said. When you've got a good group of programs to rank, it comes down to what fits you personally the best. No point in "sucking it up" for a year because some people on the internets perceive one program as slightly better than another.

I'd agree with the above. It really is primarily a question of fit and your goals for life with the fellowship.

I would add though that the difference between a bad program and a good program is pretty easy to pick up while the difference between a good and a great program is harder to define. Also, a lot of that can change in a heartbeat if one or two faculty members move in or out or on local politics.

UPMC, Texas Tech, Emory: all good. Dunno much about the others....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user