Ranking surgical specialties based on overall lifestyle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcedTea

Nuthin But A G Thang Baby
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that no surgical specialty is easy for sure, but based on hours, competitiveness to get into, and overall lifestyle, how do these specialties rank up in order? Starting from easiest on top to worst on the bottom.

I know there are more specialties, but these are the ones I'm currently interested in.

General Surgery
Neurosurgery
Transplant Surgery
Vascular Surgery
CT Surgery
Ortho Surgery

Members don't see this ad.

Some of these are fellowships not residencies. But I'll bite (as usual, there will be disagreements):

Hours (Least to Most)

Ortho/Nsgy
General Surgery
CT/Vascular/Transplant**

**Transplant may not work MORE hours per week than the above, but given the nature of the work, they often work WORSE hours (ie, organ harvests are often in the middle of the night)

Competitiveness (Least to Most)

General Surgery
Nsgy/Ortho

Fellowship Competitiveness:

CT
Transplant
Vascular

Lifestyle (you can make a life in almost anything, so some of this will depend on practice environment, other specialization, call schedule; best to worst)

Ortho
General Surgery
Vascular
Nsgy/CT
Transplant

The above could change orders considerably. For example, a Vascular surgeon who only does elective vein work and doesn't do any ER call will have an immensely better lifestyle than an Orthopod who takes Trauma/ER call. Pediatric Spine is a pretty good lifestyle; Nsgy trauma is not. General Surgery in a large group with a generous call schedule might be better than most other specialties.

There is just no way to realistically separate out these fields using the artifice you have suggested as there are so many other variables to take into consideration. Frankly, NONE have a great lifestyle while in training and many do not when you are out...it all depends on your job environment.

I know that no surgical specialty is easy for sure, but based on hours, competitiveness to get into, and overall lifestyle, how do these specialties rank up in order? Starting from easiest on top to worst on the bottom.

I know there are more specialties, but these are the ones I'm currently interested in.

General Surgery
Neurosurgery
Transplant Surgery
Vascular Surgery
CT Surgery
Ortho Surgery

Ortho has a pretty rough residency period (at least where I'm from) but few of the attendings complain about lifestyle issues. I think you may have swapped ortho and general surgery. Now those guys complain nonstop about lifestyle at my home hospital...

Members don't see this ad :)
Oral surgery, case closed.

1) Easier to get into top notch dental school.
2) Easier to kick bottom once in dental school.
3) 4 year residency (6 with MD degree)
4) $1500-2000 per dental implant.

Enough said.

Let me put in a plug for Plastic Surgery, my favorite on all levels.

Some of these are fellowships not residencies. But I'll bite (as usual, there will be disagreements):

Hours (Least to Most)

Ortho/Nsgy
General Surgery
CT/Vascular/Transplant**

**Transplant may not work MORE hours per week than the above, but given the nature of the work, they often work WORSE hours (ie, organ harvests are often in the middle of the night)

Competitiveness (Least to Most)

General Surgery
Nsgy/Ortho

Fellowship Competitiveness:

CT
Transplant
Vascular

Lifestyle (you can make a life in almost anything, so some of this will depend on practice environment, other specialization, call schedule; best to worst)

Ortho
General Surgery
Vascular
Nsgy/CT
Transplant

The above could change orders considerably. For example, a Vascular surgeon who only does elective vein work and doesn't do any ER call will have an immensely better lifestyle than an Orthopod who takes Trauma/ER call. Pediatric Spine is a pretty good lifestyle; Nsgy trauma is not. General Surgery in a large group with a generous call schedule might be better than most other specialties.

There is just no way to realistically separate out these fields using the artifice you have suggested as there are so many other variables to take into consideration. Frankly, NONE have a great lifestyle while in training and many do not when you are out...it all depends on your job environment.

Wow thank you so much for the elaborate response, much appreciated.

Yeah true it does all boil down to your job environment and schedule.

Oral surgery, case closed.

1) Easier to get into top notch dental school.
2) Easier to kick bottom once in dental school.
3) 4 year residency (6 with MD degree)
4) $1500-2000 per dental implant.

Enough said.

Let me put in a plug for Plastic Surgery, my favorite on all levels.

I was considering Oral or Plastics, but then again I don't think I would find operating on people's faces and mouth fun lol. Some do though, it all depends what floats your boat.

Thanks for your response

Ortho has a pretty rough residency period (at least where I'm from) but few of the attendings complain about lifestyle issues. I think you may have swapped ortho and general surgery. Now those guys complain nonstop about lifestyle at my home hospital...

The list I made wasn't in order in the first place lol. Anyway yeah, I heard ortho is not too bad. I shadowed an ortho surgeon once and he loved the hours he worked. So it's not that bad it seems.

Thank you for your response.

The list I made wasn't in order in the first place lol. Anyway yeah, I heard ortho is not too bad. I shadowed an ortho surgeon once and he loved the hours he worked. So it's not that bad it seems.

Thank you for your response.

Ortho is crazy rough. I'm a surgical tech and nearing the end of my premeds... so happy ! As a surgical tech I assist on with many surgeons in diffferent specialities ... I would say the best lifestyle would be general... and the most crazier hours is ortho and Ortho is ALOT I'm so happy that I'm getting my clinical experience in surgery... if u think knowing surgical instruments is hard, learning the land marks is another and then learning implants for total joint replacements is out of this world ! The work is strenuous and the cases are long. Vs doing like a lap cholecystectomy which is general which can take like 30 min or less.