Ranking Linked prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shanian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
a quick question, when ranking a linked prelim for an advanced program, should I rank that prelim number 1 on supplemental list. I have 2 other preference , can I rank them prior to that linked prelim? or it would affect my match on that advanced program if I don't get that prelim?
thank you so much for your advice...

Members don't see this ad.

You should rank them in the order you want them. Nothing on your supplemental list can change where you'd match for your advanced match / main match. There's no harm to ranking other prelims above a linked prelim if that's what you want.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for your answer. So although it say this prelim is a " Joint A/P arrangement ". it does not mean/ require me to rank it number 1 on supp list.

Program coordinator send an email saying "If you have not applied for the Neurology preliminary medicine program it may affect your rank with the Advanced Neurology positions." this means they rank those who did not apply to that prelim, lower, so this affects their "ranking" not the "matching" chance. Correct?

You are correct. Even though they say it is a "joint A/P" program, that means nothing. If they really want everyone who matches to the A program to also get a prelim year, they need to change it to a Categorical (C) match.

They have every right to adjust their rank list such that those people who didn't apply to the Prelim end up at the bottom. But they have no way of knowing how you have ranked the prelim. You could decide to not rank it at all.

If they did create a linked A/P program, then in the match you'll only be able to rank the Prelim year for that Advanced program.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a lot.. It was very helpful.

I interviewed a " Joint A/P" program. Is it possible to rank its prelim for another non-linked Advanced program? In other words, does the prelim from a " Joint A/P" program counts towards my prelim for other advanced residency programs as well?
I would appreciate any response.

Last edited:
I interviewed a " Joint A/P" program. Is it possible to rank its prelim for another non-linked Advanced program? In other words, does the prelim from a " Joint A/P" program counts towards my prelim for other advanced residency programs as well?
Sounds like a great question for that particular PC.

Reactions: 1 user

If they have registered the prelim as a "Joint" prelim in NRMP, then you'll find that you can only rank it on the supplemental list for that Advanced program.

Programs have three options:
#1: Advanced and Prelim separate. You can rank anything any which way. Same with programs -- they could choose to rank you on the Advanced but not the prelim list, or the other way around. All lists are independent.
#2: Joint Prelim and Advanced. In this case, you can only rank the prelim for that Advanced program. This means that the program knows that all of it's matched prelims will also be in the Advanced program. However, if applicants choose to match elsewhere for prelim, the program can't get anyone else and those spots would fall to SOAP. Programs can be "fancy" and have some spots reserved in Joint arrangements, and then others in a stand alone prelim, and then can "revert" unfilled Joint spots to their generic program. In that case, you'd be able to rank the Joint prelim on the Advanced's supplemental, and the Generic Prelim on all of the rest. Complicated!
#3: Categorical match -- forces everyone to have both a prelim and advanced together, but makes couples matching much easier, and some people prefer the guarantee.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you very much for the detailed answer. It was very helpful!
If they have registered the prelim as a "Joint" prelim in NRMP, then you'll find that you can only rank it on the supplemental list for that Advanced program.

Programs have three options:
#1: Advanced and Prelim separate. You can rank anything any which way. Same with programs -- they could choose to rank you on the Advanced but not the prelim list, or the other way around. All lists are independent.
#2: Joint Prelim and Advanced. In this case, you can only rank the prelim for that Advanced program. This means that the program knows that all of it's matched prelims will also be in the Advanced program. However, if applicants choose to match elsewhere for prelim, the program can't get anyone else and those spots would fall to SOAP. Programs can be "fancy" and have some spots reserved in Joint arrangements, and then others in a stand alone prelim, and then can "revert" unfilled Joint spots to their generic program. In that case, you'd be able to rank the Joint prelim on the Advanced's supplemental, and the Generic Prelim on all of the rest. Complicated!
#3: Categorical match -- forces everyone to have both a prelim and advanced together, but makes couples matching much easier, and some people prefer the guarantee.

Im confused in this forum. Perhaps someone can explain for me this situation.

Lets say I have 5 advanced program interviews and 5 prelim interviews.

Do the advanced programs get listed in the "Primary rank order list" tab, and the prelim programs get listed in the "Supplemental ROL" tab on NRMP?

Thanks in advance

Im confused in this forum. Perhaps someone can explain for me this situation.

Lets say I have 5 advanced program interviews and 5 prelim interviews.

Do the advanced programs get listed in the "Primary rank order list" tab, and the prelim programs get listed in the "Supplemental ROL" tab on NRMP?

Thanks in advance

Correct. And you can make as many supplemental lists as you want (with varying order or number of those five prelims) and assign them to different advanced programs on your primary list.

You can also list your prelims on your main rank list, under the advanced programs. That allows you to match into prelim but not an advanced spot. Then, you can SOAP for an advanced spot. BUT, if you match to a prelim only you can't SOAP for a categorical spot -- so it's important to think about what your back up plan would be.

Reactions: 2 users
You can also list your prelims on your main rank list, under the advanced programs. That allows you to match into prelim but not an advanced spot. Then, you can SOAP for an advanced spot. BUT, if you match to a prelim only you can't SOAP for a categorical spot -- so it's important to think about what your back up plan would be.

So technically everyone should have prelims in both their main ROL and supplemental ROL. Correct?

As matching in anything is better than not matching at all

So technically everyone should have prelims in both their main ROL and supplemental ROL. Correct?

As matching in anything is better than not matching at all

In general, yes. But it depends on your backup plan.

If you match Prelim only, you'll have a chance to SOAP for an advanced spot (in any field, not just the one you applied to), continue in IM (or GS if prelim surgery) if you find a PGY-2 spot the next year, or reapply in the match the next year.

If you don't match to anything, you'll have a chance to SOAP for categorical spots in addition, but if you don't get anything you have no further training and have to apply again the next year. This might be a good plan if a research year would help your application to a competitive field, or if your backup field is one that has only categorical spots in SOAP.

Unless you have a really good reason, it's best to get into a prelim spot.

In general, yes. But it depends on your backup plan.

If you match Prelim only, you'll have a chance to SOAP for an advanced spot (in any field, not just the one you applied to), continue in IM (or GS if prelim surgery) if you find a PGY-2 spot the next year, or reapply in the match the next year.

If you don't match to anything, you'll have a chance to SOAP for categorical spots in addition, but if you don't get anything you have no further training and have to apply again the next year. This might be a good plan if a research year would help your application to a competitive field, or if your backup field is one that has only categorical spots in SOAP.

Unless you have a really good reason, it's best to get into a prelim spot.

Thank you for the clarification. so just to be clear, i would have my advanced programs listed first in the main ROL and then under them prelim programs. Whereas the supplemental ROL will just have the prelim spots which gets triggered when i match into an advanced position listed in my main ROL. Correct?

Thanks and sorry for the redundancy

Thank you for the clarification. so just to be clear, i would have my advanced programs listed first in the main ROL and then under them prelim programs. Whereas the supplemental ROL will just have the prelim spots which gets triggered when i match into an advanced position listed in my main ROL. Correct?

Thanks and sorry for the redundancy
Again...correct.

And you can have a different supplemental list for each advanced program on your list if that's important to you.

Reactions: 1 users