Army Ranger Battalion Surgeon Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rolltide564897

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys MS1 with a question. I'm sure by the title most of you hate me already, fair enough. Let me explain a bit though.

So let me give some back story first. I have a family history with the Rangers. Not really a lineage but my dad and 2 older brothers were/are Rangers. I strongly considered enlisting before college or after college (commissioned officer) and try to get my tab but I ultimately decided against it.

I don't want it just for fun, I want the experience. Growing up my dad, and my brothers now, would always talk about how it changed him and made him a better man and especially a better leader and that's something I want for myself. My dad never served in the 75th but still feels the course taught him things about leadership and about himself that he feels changed his life. I want follow in their footsteps in a sense but in a different route.

Regardless of the answer to this question, I want to serve in the military. It's a personal goal of mine and believe me I've heard just about every negative response there is but it's something I feel I would regret not doing.

My question is: How common is it for an battalion surgeon to go to Ranger school? I was told by a recruiter that the slots for being a battalion surgeon in the 75th are competitive, but not overly so. She wasn't sure of what the selection process was as she said she didn't handle things after residency, which is why I'm here. My brother told me their battalion surgeon is tabbed but he's not sure if he was a Ranger before he went to med school, but he said he looks about 13.

I would just wait but my dillemma is, if I wouldn't be able to get that experience I would most likely do FAP instead of HPSP (3-year or 2-year but 3 year ADSO) since I wanna do ortho. I wouldn't mind HPSP if I could be a 75th battalion surgeon because I would try to complete the majority of my ADSO as a GMO (62B I think?) then hopefully do a military residency, because I would make more money than civilian, then incur 1 extra year of obligation (if ortho b/c 5 year residency) and finish ADSO. Or just serve full 3 years as GMO then do civilian but I wouldn't make as much but could be easier or could do if I just didn't match ortho in military.

Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys MS1 with a question. I'm sure by the title most of you hate me already, fair enough. Let me explain a bit though.

So let me give some back story first. I have a family history with the Rangers. Not really a lineage but my dad and 2 older brothers were/are Rangers. I strongly considered enlisting before college or after college (commissioned officer) and try to get my tab but I ultimately decided against it.

I don't want it just for fun, I want the experience. Growing up my dad, and my brothers now, would always talk about how it changed him and made him a better man and especially a better leader and that's something I want for myself. My dad never served in the 75th but still feels the course taught him things about leadership and about himself that he feels changed his life. I want follow in their footsteps in a sense but in a different route.

Regardless of the answer to this question, I want to serve in the military. It's a personal goal of mine and believe me I've heard just about every negative response there is but it's something I feel I would regret not doing.

My question is: How common is it for an battalion surgeon to go to Ranger school? I was told by a recruiter that the slots for being a battalion surgeon in the 75th are competitive, but not overly so. She wasn't sure of what the selection process was as she said she didn't handle things after residency, which is why I'm here. My brother told me their battalion surgeon is tabbed but he's not sure if he was a Ranger before he went to med school, but he said he looks about 13.

I would just wait but my dillemma is, if I wouldn't be able to get that experience I would most likely do FAP instead of HPSP (3-year or 2-year but 3 year ADSO) since I wanna do ortho. I wouldn't mind HPSP if I could be a 75th battalion surgeon because I would try to complete the majority of my ADSO as a GMO (62B I think?) then hopefully do a military residency, because I would make more money than civilian, then incur 1 extra year of obligation (if ortho b/c 5 year residency) and finish ADSO. Or just serve full 3 years as GMO then do civilian but I wouldn't make as much but could be easier or could do if I just didn't match ortho in military.

It can happen, but it is competitive and not the norm for sure. Usually people who have not been tabbed prior to med school get their tab by targeting operational type jobs. That seems to be the key. That means doing operational type jobs, deploying, learning the ins and outs of being a military type doc.

If ortho is your goal, that makes things a bit trickier. That will require a more clinical type path and usually people don't spend 5 years training in surgery to go over to the operational side of the house, unless they're doing a stint to pick up O6. FM or IM docs are a better fit for Ranger units.

If going to Ranger school is the make or break for you to go HPSP then that's not a good Alamo for you to hold.

classmate of mine from medical school did FP residency then to ranger school then was affiliated w/ ranger battalions until he eventually saw the writing on the wall and got so burned out he left when his ADSO was up. father was an O-6, grew up around the army, and had a good idea what he was getting into. in the end it wasn't worth it. now he's in the northern plains doing quite well for himself.

so yeah, it's possible but like @WernickeDO says ortho's probably not the best way to do it

--your friendly neighborhood last of his medical school's HPSPers to still be in caveman

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It can happen, but it is competitive and not the norm for sure. Usually people who have not been tabbed prior to med school get their tab by targeting operational type jobs. That seems to be the key. That means doing operational type jobs, deploying, learning the ins and outs of being a military type doc.

If ortho is your goal, that makes things a bit trickier. That will require a more clinical type path and usually people don't spend 5 years training in surgery to go over to the operational side of the house, unless they're doing a stint to pick up O6. FM or IM docs are a better fit for Ranger units.

If going to Ranger school is the make or break for you to go HPSP then that's not a good Alamo for you to hold.

classmate of mine from medical school did FP residency then to ranger school then was affiliated w/ ranger battalions until he eventually saw the writing on the wall and got so burned out he left when his ADSO was up. father was an O-6, grew up around the army, and had a good idea what he was getting into. in the end it wasn't worth it. now he's in the northern plains doing quite well for himself.

so yeah, it's possible but like @WernickeDO says ortho's probably not the best way to do it

--your friendly neighborhood last of his medical school's HPSPers to still be in caveman

Thanks for the responses guys. Let me clarify a bit as I think I wasn't clear enough in the beginning, apologies. If it was a semi-realistic plan my goal was to do a GMO, so 1 year internship, then try to get tabbed/assigned to the 75th, then after that do ortho (civilian or military, but would prefer military pretty much just bc money, I don't think I can get deployed during residency so its essentially the same). I'm not sure if you guys read it that way but I wasn't sure by the responses. I wasn't sure if they usually had IM or FM guys do it or if I could do it as GMO and have a chance at earning my tab.

Also what do you mean by they get it by they get a spot by doing "operational type jobs" sorry if that seems like a dumb question but I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I understand that I would be doing a FM or IM type job as that role and I believe I would enjoy it, especially with the patient population I would be seeing in the military. I think primary care is great and if I had to do it forever I don't think I'd be upset at all. But if I got my choice I would pick ortho. But my plan was to just do GMO if possible instead of FM or IM residency. That's why I said I wasn't worried about HPSP match concerns because I would be gunning for what most people try to avoid, GMO.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Thanks for the responses guys. Let me clarify a bit as I think I wasn't clear enough in the beginning, apologies. If it was a semi-realistic plan my goal was to do a GMO, so 1 year internship, then try to get tabbed/assigned to the 75th, then after that do ortho (civilian or military, but would prefer military pretty much just bc money, I don't think I can get deployed during residency so its essentially the same). I'm not sure if you guys read it that way but I wasn't sure by the responses. I wasn't sure if they usually had IM or FM guys do it or if I could do it as GMO and have a chance at earning my tab..

the ranger bats likely do not want GMOs. they want fully residency trained docs-- and they and the SF usually get whatever they want. GMOs would go to the generic line units.

Also what do you mean by they get it by they get a spot by doing "operational type jobs" sorry if that seems like a dumb question but I'm not sure what you mean by that. .

a lot of SF/pointy end of the spear stuff is all about networking. when i said operational i mean when you graduate residency to not go to a clinic or hospital job-- to go get assigned to a combat unit somehow, preferably at a place where SF/rangers work/train so you can develop some relationships.

I understand that I would be doing a FM or IM type job as that role and I believe I would enjoy it, especially with the patient population I would be seeing in the military. I think primary care is great and if I had to do it forever I don't think I'd be upset at all. But if I got my choice I would pick ortho. But my plan was to just do GMO if possible instead of FM or IM residency. That's why I said I wasn't worried about HPSP match concerns because I would be gunning for what most people try to avoid, GMO.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

see above. i don't think a GMO would be able to land a ranger slot. probably not impossible, but unlikely. the rangers have their own division/BDE surgeons who are residency trained and probably don't want GMOs since they (better than the line commanders) know the difference. it's not highly sought after but there are enough interested parties i don't think they have to go begging to fill their physician slots.

your medical specialty you will be doing the rest of your life. hooah army **** will only be a few years, maybe 10. choose a specialty you could do for 30 years, not one that has a temporary payoff. but that's just my $0.02.

--your friendly neighborhood my $.02 was paid in AAFES pogs caveman

I know this is nitpicky (and maybe culture on nomenclature is different geographically) but the folks where I'm at wouldn't call someone who didn't serve with the rangers "a ranger"

You can be ranger qualified or tabbed for going through the course, but you aren't a ranger unless you served with the rangers

I know this is nitpicky (and maybe culture on nomenclature is different geographically) but the folks where I'm at wouldn't call someone who didn't serve with the rangers "a ranger"

You can be ranger qualified or tabbed for going through the course, but you aren't a ranger unless you served with the rangers

so if someone was in a ranger battalion then left and is working in a clinic somewhere they are no longer a ranger? how does someone know if someone historically was assigned a ranger unit or not?

-- your friendly neighborhood not a ranger either way but I did train with them once caveman

so if someone was in a ranger battalion then left and is working in a clinic somewhere they are no longer a ranger? how does someone know if someone historically was assigned a ranger unit or not?

-- your friendly neighborhood not a ranger either way but I did train with them once caveman
I'm not the bookkeeper of the rule ;)

But that's how it was explained to me by a few folks who spent time in the rangers

... I would try to complete the majority of my ADSO as a GMO (62B I think?) then hopefully do a military residency, because I would make more money than civilian, then incur 1 extra year of obligation (if ortho b/c 5 year residency) and finish ADSO. ...

Talk to someone that can show you the service obligation regulation to confirm! With the sequence/timeline described, you accumulate a new obligation for the full military residency. You would not just owe 1 year for ortho if you complete a military residency after your ADSO is complete for HPSP. Your ADSO for HPSP does not 'prepay' your new residency service obligation in the scenario described. "No portion of an ADSO may be satisfied ... by prior military service."

The ADSO for HPSP and residency can be served concurrently but you would have had to complete the residency prior to active duty in a non training status.

Check DoDInstruction 6000.13, AR135-101, AR601-100, AR135-210, AR350-100, and AR351-3.

This is a classic example of the Army getting even the most basic things wrong. They have course called Ranger school. If you complete it they put a tab on your uniform that says 'Ranger'. But that course is open to anyone, completing it doesn't make you a Ranger, and you could get your ass kicked in a bar for calling yourself a Ranger after completing Ranger school and getting Ranger tabbed.

My understanding is that a Ranger is someone who completes the Q course and serves with the battalion. Those guys can then call themselves Rangers for life, just like how a Marine is a Marine for life when he graduates from Paris Island. Most of the Rangers in the Ranger battalion haven't yet gone to Ranger school, which is a milestone that comes later in their career. The support staff for the battalion that didn't go through the Q course, like the doc, are not Rangers no matter how long they work with the battalion, and regardless of whether or not they complete Ranger school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

The Ranger regiment does not take GMO's, they have their pick of the litter and prefer ER/FP > IM

Most of the guys slotted with them were prior service and were already tabbed. If you were assigned to the 75th and completed RIP they might eventually send you to Ranger school but a few years ago they weren't sending Docs, but there's more funding now so who knows.

So doing a GMO to get assigned with the Rangers is not a feasible plan, esp. since you aren't prior service. You could possibly get assigned to the 82nd or the 101st as a GMO, both of these would be good conduits to the Regiment, but you'd have to make contacts and then go back and complete one of the above mentioned residencies beforehand.

If you want to do Orthopedics then do that, you could get assigned to one of the Airborne FST's or the SF FST's and could get your fill of Hooah from that.

You need to decide whether you want to be a Doctor (surgeon) or play Army. Since you're already an MS I looks like you've made that decision.

- ex 61N

You are correct, my apologies.

From what I understand in order to be a Ranger you have to be in the 75th AND deploy with them which gets you the Ranger scroll and then you are a Ranger. Other than that I believe you're just Ranger qualified. My brothers are both Rangers but my Dad is Ranger qualified. From what I was told, but this could be 100% wrong.

The Ranger regiment does not take GMO's, they have their pick of the litter and prefer ER/FP > IM

Most of the guys slotted with them were prior service and were already tabbed. If you were assigned to the 75th and completed RIP they might eventually send you to Ranger school but a few years ago they weren't sending Docs, but there's more funding now so who knows.

So doing a GMO to get assigned with the Rangers is not a feasible plan, esp. since you aren't prior service. You could possibly get assigned to the 82nd or the 101st as a GMO, both of these would be good conduits to the Regiment, but you'd have to make contacts and then go back and complete one of the above mentioned residencies beforehand.

If you want to do Orthopedics then do that, you could get assigned to one of the Airborne FST's or the SF FST's and could get your fill of Hooah from that.

You need to decide whether you want to be a Doctor (surgeon) or play Army. Since you're already an MS I looks like you've made that decision.

- ex 61N

Thanks for the response. I understand where you're coming from. I can't be upset as I had multiple opportunities to "play Army" and chose a different path, I was asking mainly just as a what-if scenario to see if it was possible.

I never knew about the FST until I just googled them, it sounds really interesting. Do you know off hand if those are super competitive or if they have certain selection factors, i.e. prior service? I would love to know more about it.

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)

- ex 61N

You also don't need to be associated with the ranger regiment to play Army. My understanding is that anyone in the Army can apply for Ranger school. There are also other short courses that are open to docs like mountain medicine.

I suspected as much. FWIW, my friend went to/completed ranger school after his FP residency.

--your friendly neighborhood everybody wants their own club caveman

This is a classic example of the Army getting even the most basic things wrong. They have course called Ranger school. If you complete it they put a tab on your uniform that says 'Ranger'. But that course is open to anyone, completing it doesn't make you a Ranger, and you could get your ass kicked in a bar for calling yourself a Ranger after completing Ranger school and getting Ranger tabbed.

My understanding is that a Ranger is someone who completes the Q course and serves with the battalion.

As you allude to, there is a bit of history behind this. Up until some point - I am guessing the late 80's, perhaps earlier - a Ranger tab was necessary for almost any Army officer planning on serving 20+ years. They had accountants and personnel officers taking the Ranger course and then never doing anything even remotely related to infantry ever again. At some point they wised up and restricted the course to the combat arms, primarily infantry. That is the historical reason why having a Ranger tab didn't necessarily make you a Ranger. I am not Army so don't take this as Gospel, but I was around enough Army officers in the DC area during that era to hear the story over and over again.

But since institutional stupidity tends to recur, perhaps they are back to opening Ranger school to anyone, but I doubt it.

As the Ranger tab is restricted to the combat arms and the memory of the Ranger public-affairs officer fades away, perhaps this distinction will begin to fade away.

As the Ranger tab is restricted to the combat arms and the memory of the Ranger public-affairs officer fades away, perhaps this distinction will begin to fade away.

But that's the thing, a combat arms officer who goes through Ranger school isn't a Ranger either. A Ranger is someone who fights with the ranger batallion, including the ones who haven't gone to Ranger school. A Ranger tabbed airborne, infantry, or SF soldier isn't a Ranger unless the are currently, or were previously, a member of the Ranger batallion.

It's a good thing that they are now limiting the school to people who need it, but it still doesn't answer the question of why they call it Ranger school when most of people going through it aren't Rangers and many of the Rangers haven't yet gone through it. Why not call it 'advanced combat school' and have it give you an 'advanced combat' tab?

But that's the thing, a combat arms officer who goes through Ranger school isn't a Ranger either. A Ranger is someone who fights with the ranger batallion, including the ones who haven't gone to Ranger school. A Ranger tabbed airborne, infantry, or SF soldier isn't a Ranger unless the are currently, or were previously, a member of the Ranger batallion.

It's a good thing that they are now limiting the school to people who need it, but it still doesn't answer the question of why they call it Ranger school when most of people going through it aren't Rangers and many of the Rangers haven't yet gone through it. Why not call it 'advanced combat school' and have it give you an 'advanced combat' tab?

The correct nomenclature- the tabbed guys are "Ranger qualified" and that is how they refer to themselves. But to call yourself a "Ranger" the unstated implication is you served in the Regiment according to the guys in my old unit.

- ex 61N

The correct nomenclature- the tabbed guys are "Ranger qualified" and that is how they refer to themselves. But to call yourself a "Ranger" the unstated implication is you served in the Regiment according to the guys in my old unit.

- ex 61N
I thought that ranger tabbed meant you finished the school, while Ranger qualified mean you finished the q course but hadn't yet gotten your scroll.

Anyway this all supports my overall thesis, which is that the Army is a confusing clusterf---. Say what you will about the Navy, but you will never meet a SEAL tabbed Pediatrician.

I thought that ranger tabbed meant you finished the school, while Ranger qualified mean you finished the q course but hadn't yet gotten your scroll.

Anyway this all supports my overall thesis, which is that the Army is a confusing clusterf---. Say what you will about the Navy, but you will never meet a SEAL tabbed Pediatrician.

Q course is for SF. Rangers go through the Ranger assessment and selection course (RASP) which is eight weeks- RIP was the old one and that was four.

Either way, I think we've beaten this horse dead.

-ex 61N

Or worked with Yogi Bear

Or worked with Yogi Bear
So when I Google image search for 'ranger':
1) The first 4 lines are just pictures of Ford Ranger
2) On line 5 we start getting D&D/Tolkein rangers
3) On line 11 of images is the first Army Ranger
4) On line 40 we start adding in Power Rangers
5) On line 44 is the first Park Ranger
6). On line 57 you start seeing images of The Lone Ranger
7) Finally, on line 111, we get Walker, Texas Ranger.

So I guess the OP can decide which kind of Ranger he wants to pretend to be.

Reactions: 1 users

Line 111 before getting to Walker? Really? That must be google's liberal bias.

How far down did you have to go to get this gal? CVN-61

I think you have gotten a straight enough answer by means of the nice willing docs on this forum. I can't help myself though as someone who was in regiment and is also ranger qualified:

Ranger school is roughly 60 days of gut check, assuming you don't get recycled. It's really not all that hard but it's nice to know that you can at least endure a bit of suffering I guess. When you graduate you become ranger qualified and go back to serve in whatever unit sent you there. Ranger school is not specifically in the pipeline for any unit although it is pretty much mandatory for infantry officers and those in the regiment who want to stay more than just a few years.

Ranger regiment is where the "real rangers" exist as is identified by the scroll they wear. All the infantry enlisted guys have to go to ranger school prior to becoming an E5 and most go and become ranger qualified as an E3. This also includes all the support folks. They all go to a similar RASP (it was RIP in my day) but are expected to go to ranger school at some point, even the cooks. Every line officer in regiment is already ranger qualified prior to coming there and has served the same level duty position in a regular army unit; like platoon leader in the 82nd and then applying to regiment to be a PL. in addition, all the support officers will have served similar positions in the regular army and most are ranger qualified. Regiment expects that everyone who serves there will be ranger qualified at some point and has enough slots that they can send anyone who is ready.

Regimental docs are usually either FM or EM and many are prior service, meaning they already have a tab. Most of them have already been a surgeon in a regular army unit and are well on their way to a career in operational medicine.

So, the opportunity is there but it's not something you just go do. Med school, the right residency, prove yourself as a bn surgeon in the 101st, know people, get selected, complete RASP, get to your bn, go to ranger school.

Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Best of luck.

true story-- was on a field exercise and was served chow by an SF cook. gotta be more rare than those fabled WO5s.

--your friendly neighborhood baddest ass cook in the entire army caveman
They don't come close to those navy cooks though, have you seen Under Siege??

USS Ranger CV 61 vs CVN 61. Not a nuke.

Anyway this all supports my overall thesis, which is that the Army is a confusing clusterf---. Say what you will about the Navy, but you will never meet a SEAL tabbed Pediatrician
Sorry for resurrecting this thread.
I am aware of a number of physicians, plenty of PA's, and at least one dentist with Tridents. However they were all prior Team guys, so I agree that the Navy will never send someone to BUD/S and SQT if they have no intention of sending them to the Teams.

It will also depend on your luck. Limited number of slots, many get filled by people who made deals, were prior service tabbed or "know someone." for example, upcoming all the group doc slots got filled by O4 and above mostly internally, from what I heard. On the other hand, we had a doc come recruit at my residency program essentially because none of the doc slots for ranger batt had gotten filled... so kind of feast or famine, and much depending on who you know and your year group.

that said, dude made batt sound super cool, but also a huge strain on family life. so for now I would just focus on picking a specialty and graduating, and then see what your family life is like in 6-10 years... if you're married, ask your wife first...

That's not true per Army Regulation. If you complete Ranger School, you are entitled to the title. Culturally it is.

Class 04-02.

At any rate, I don't know anything about Regiment's TOE, so this is wildly speculative, but I think an orthopedic surgeon in a forward deployed Ranger unit would be a massive waste of medical assets. Specialty surgery seems more useful at a CASH or even larger facility in the rear. I would think that forward deployed physicians would need to be focused on trauma stabilization and general medical care for MedCap missions.

Last edited:
That's not true per Army Regulation. If you complete Ranger School, you are entitled to the title. Culturally it is.

Class 04-02.

At any rate, I don't know anything about Regiment's TOE, so this is wildly speculative, but I think an orthopedic surgeon in a forward deployed Ranger unit would be a massive waste of medical assets. Specialty surgery seems more useful at a CASH or even larger facility in the rear. I would think that forward deployed physicians would need to be focused on trauma stabilization and general medical care for MedCap missions.

the doctors with the regiment are usually FM/EM, less frequently IM.