Random Q: Interviews & Pregnancy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dee vee emm

Future DVM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is something I thought of a while back, and not that I'm pregnant or planning on it any time soon (in the future yes, but not now) and sorry if there has been a thread about this before....

But say you applied and were granted an interview, and by the time your interview came around you were noticeably pregnant... how do you think the interviewers and ad coms would respond to that? Would they think you were less serious about vet school? Like I know there are a bunch of females that get married and have kids in vet school so it's not like you'd be any less capable of handling both.

But if they knew before they accepted you... I just don't know what to think about how they'd respond....

Members don't see this ad.

I had such a damn hard time finding a suit that fit as it were, but finding one to fit while preggers? No thanks.

I think it would possibly tinge their opinions a bit, whether it was supposed to or not. If they can't tell, they can't ask either so there's no way to know. But if it's obvious, you might as well address it and try to allay their possible fears, don't you think?

I actually did the finger-month thing when I was late for a period back when... IO would have been sooo huge by March. Thankfully it was just my body being stubborn and not WELL YOU KNOW. Lol. Six years of BC, don't fail me now!

I guess if you were going to have the kid before vet school started, either in the spring or the summer, it could work. I would make a point of telling them though, and not let them jump to their own conclusions.

I'd talk about having a strong family support base, etc, so they know you'll be ready and able to handle a work load.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw a girl who was very pregnant at an interview in January and saw her later for the prospective student's day a few months later with the baby... I think it would be an issue, but, obviously, not one that should prevent an acceptance.

I was not pregnant when I interviewed but I am a mom to a young child. When I started to fill out applications I was very concerned about how this would be seen, and if it would negatively color the views of those evaluating me. The more I thought about it though the more I realized that if a school would decide against me because I was a mom, than they were not the school for me. Knowing they know this about me ahead of time and still want me means that they are willing to understand and support my position as both a vet student and mother.

I ended up making a brief mention in my VMCAS essay, basically listing motherhood as one of many experiences which have matured me. During my interviews I made a point to bring up my daughter. In my Mizzou interview (where I will be attending) I used the 'anything else you want to tell us' question at the end to talk about her and how I consider attaining my career goals is part of my being a good role model for my daughter. I feel like this was received favorably because I was able to demonstrate that, while motherhood is a key part of my life, I have balanced that with my career goals.

I recommend anyone who is a parent and applying to vet school to consider how they would feel as a student if they got into a school which did not look well on their decision to go to school while being a parent. It could be done, but it would not be for me.

Honestly, if you are 3rd trimester in January then the baby will be around 6 months old by August. No big deal. Now, if you are a woman of reproductive age and are *not* visibly pregnant during your interview, then we have a problem. It's possible you might have a newborn by August, or give birth during your first semester. That would be a bigger problem! (Tongue in cheek, but you get my point.)

Legally I didn't think the adcoms could discriminate based on reproductive status. I guess if they could somehow demonstrate that you would be unable to perform all the tasks required as a vet student, but I don't see how they could do that either.

You're right. It's illegal to discriminate on the basis of pregnancy status. Besides, someone who is visibly pregnant by interviews certainly knows she is pregnant and has probably already thought about what it will take to juggle school and a baby.