random Q: GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misslala

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does each medschool calculate our sGPA in a different way (some classes are weighed more than others)?

Do A+s in science classes help you in any way (raise the sGPA by a tiny bit?)

Members don't see this ad.

nope. but they look baller. such a cool little symbol

Does each medschool calculate our sGPA in a different way (some classes are weighed more than others)?

Do A+s in science classes help you in any way (raise the sGPA by a tiny bit?)

Med schools get the grades from AMCAS, so your grades are calculated the same for every school.

You do get a separate science versus cumulative gpa. So, if you get all A's in science classes, that looks good, and an impressive science gpa could help a lower cumulative gpa (but every science class is weighed the same, prereq or not, upperdivision, doesn't matter).

A+s do not help, but + and - do matter (Ex: A- is a 3.7, B+ is like a 3.3 or something).

Not sure if that was answering your question or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Catalystik,

i was also wondering about research for units and gpa. Different ppl give different answers regarding if it counts towards sGPA. My research is in department of medicine (not bio, not chem), will it still count?

Thanks!

Catalystik,

i was also wondering about research for units and gpa. Different ppl give different answers regarding if it counts towards sGPA. My research is in department of medicine (not bio, not chem), will it still count?
It depends on the course prefix. According to the AMCAS site, Medicine courses don't count in the BCPM. You could of course contest that by providing sufficient detail to AMCAS to support that its science and not applied science.

I personally hate when people pad their GPA with research credits. I have many friends who say "oops, I guess I will negate that B in organic chemistry with an A in 3 hours of research every semester".

I really hope that adcoms can see through this tactic. It seems pretty obvious to me...

I personally hate when people pad their GPA with research credits. I have many friends who say "oops, I guess I will negate that B in organic chemistry with an A in 3 hours of research every semester".

I really hope that adcoms can see through this tactic. It seems pretty obvious to me...

Not everyone receives guaranteed A's in research. Sadly since by comparison the vast majority do.