Random AADSAS Questions: 2017-2018 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will be enrolling in an SMP but won't start until august. I am trying to add this info to the education section but it won't let me add it since the college I attended for undergrad is the same for the SMP. AADSAS says " UNIVERSITY has already been added to your application." How can you bypass this?

Members don't see this ad.

If you add another experience that you start later on in the application cycle (but after you have already submitted to schools) do the schools see the updated activity or do they only see what you sent to them initially?
Hard to say. I sent an email to ADEA to find out. Though I suspect what happens is the application itself updates and when a school looks at it later the updates will be in place. But they don't necessarily get some kind of update notification from the application, that is up to us to send the schools directly.

I will be enrolling in an SMP but won't start until august. I am trying to add this info to the education section but it won't let me add it since the college I attended for undergrad is the same for the SMP. AADSAS says " UNIVERSITY has already been added to your application." How can you bypass this?

Under the same college, add extra semesters, but this time your "Academic Status" would be "Graduate".

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Under the same college, add extra semesters, but this time your "Academic Status" would be "Graduate".
Since I graduated on December of 2016 with my undergrad, would I put January 2014 (date started university) to May 2018 (expected date of finishing post bacc) in the "when did you attend this college?" Thanks again!

Hi guys!

So I am taking the DAT July 1st and I figured I would wait to submit the application given the fact I don't want to risk submitting and not doing as well as I'd hoped... because in that case I would just retake and apply again next cycle or something (idk yet). I was just wondering if DAT scores automatically get uploaded to the application because they are directly linked to DENTPIN, or not?

Thanks!!

Since I graduated on December of 2016 with my undergrad, would I put January 2014 (date started university) to May 2018 (expected date of finishing post bacc) in the "when did you attend this college?" Thanks again!

I'm pretty sure, yeah. I got this directly form the AADSAS instructions: "Report each institution once, regardless of the number of degrees earned or gaps in the dates of attendance".

I'm pretty sure, yeah. I got this directly form the AADSAS instructions: "Report each institution once, regardless of the number of degrees earned or gaps in the dates of attendance".
Thank you for the help!

Hi guys!

So I am taking the DAT July 1st and I figured I would wait to submit the application given the fact I don't want to risk submitting and not doing as well as I'd hoped... because in that case I would just retake and apply again next cycle or something (idk yet). I was just wondering if DAT scores automatically get uploaded to the application because they are directly linked to DENTPIN, or not?

Thanks!!
Not sure how it is this year, but last year took 3-5 weeks for AADSAS to get the official scores

Not sure how it is this year, but last year took 3-5 weeks for AADSAS to get the official scores

Thanks! But lets say I see my scores and I'm not happy with them and I therefore don't submit my application - will the schools receive anything at all? Do you know?

Thanks! But lets say I see my scores and I'm not happy with them and I therefore don't submit my application - will the schools receive anything at all? Do you know?
When you submit the DAT application forms, you select which schools receive your scores. Even if you decide to retake it and apply next cycle (worst case scenario), then they'd still see the (previous) attempt next year. You can't really hide the scores unless you select that you haven't taken it previously...which I'm assuming won't fly.

Hi all. I have a question about AP credits.

So I have been reading that people put them under their first semester of freshman year. For me, my first semester of college was Fall 2014. However, my AP credits appear under Spring 2014 for some weird ass reason.
Do you think I should list the AP credits under Spring 2014 (even though that aint my first semester?) or should I just place them under my freshman year of fall 2014?

Last edited:
This question might sound dumb but
Does the research that we do as a part of a class, like genetics, count as a research in the experience section?
I know you got a response already but I'd say definitely not. It was a project that counted towards your grade in the class, not an independent research. Plus, on the 2018 Instructions, it says "research should NOT appear as credit on the transcript" and I would count the class as credit.
I did a really cool research project for a class and decided not to add it... seemed like it was too much of a reach to act like it's something separate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you got a response already but I'd say definitely not. It was a project that counted towards your grade in the class, not an independent research. Plus, on the 2018 Instructions, it says "research should NOT appear as credit on the transcript" and I would count the class as credit.
I did a really cool research project for a class and decided not to add it... seemed like it was too much of a reach to act like it's something separate.

I did 5 research credits. 2 in a fall semester and another 3 in the spring semester.

However, I also did research over the summer (paid) and this is the research hours I put down on my experiences section. However, I couldn't find a way to explain to them that my research hours in the experience section do not include hours from when I was researching for credit. Does this make sense? It gets really confusing because I also did extra research hours outside the credit requirement. So the date which I put I stared and ended the experience include the time frame when I was getting credits as well.

Think I should do something about this?

Hi all,
when filling out the secondary applications, what about questions like "Describe why you want to join the profession of dentistry"... does it look bad to just rephrase some of our personal statement, since that is pretty much the same thing? Why would they have a redundant question like that?

I did 5 research credits. 2 in a fall semester and another 3 in the spring semester.

However, I also did research over the summer (paid) and this is the research hours I put down on my experiences section. However, I couldn't find a way to explain to them that my research hours in the experience section do not include hours from when I was researching for credit. Does this make sense? It gets really confusing because I also did extra research hours outside the credit requirement. So the date which I put I stared and ended the experience include the time frame when I was getting credits as well.

Think I should do something about this?
No, I'm sure you're fine, especially since one of them was paid and one was credits, they'll be able to reason out what's going on.

It really depends on how your school does stuff. At my school in order to do research, you get enrolled in a 0 credit hour research class. It's like formal thing but the informal thing isn't decided between the professor and the student.
So it really depends. If it's like a must like a requirement or part of a class then maybe not. But if ou do research at your school and te school reports it on your transcript I still think it counts as research.

That seemed a little confusing to me. I was chosen to do research at a medical school and one of the requirements was to do at least 12 hours of credit hours in order to keep my scholarship so i chose random research credits for that semester since i was technically doing research but the research at the medical school was kind of completely different. Based on that wording, I can't list this under research since I received classroom credit for it?

Does anyone know what to do with the IB credits? Do we put that under freshmen year?

I'd do first semester freshman year. When u review transcripts it'll ask u specifically which are IB

I'd do first semester freshman year. When u review transcripts it'll ask u specifically which are IB

Although my first college semester was fall 2014, my AP credits show under spring 2014 for some reason. I placed them under spring 2014 cause that's what my transcript shows. You think I should place them under fall 2014 since that's my first semester or should I just keep em under spring 2014?

Keep them how they show up on your official transcripts. So in your case I believe spring is the right choice.

My transcript was put in the mail on June 1st but still has not been received by AADSAS (according to the check status page). Has anyone else been waiting this long?

Does Tufts ABSOLUTELY do not take CC credits? I only took physics 1 and lab at CC, will they make exception to that? Also, will sociology count as the Humanities and Social science requirement? PLEASE answer

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does Tufts ABSOLUTELY do not take CC credits? I only took physics 1 and lab at CC, will they make exception to that? Also, will sociology count as the Humanities and Social science requirement? PLEASE answer

You can call and ask. Sometimes some schools that are strict about CC credit will accept like 1 prereq like English but they might not for science. I think calling would give you the most valid answer

My transcript was put in the mail on June 1st but still has not been received by AADSAS (according to the check status page). Has anyone else been waiting this long?
Same here. I think I sent it 6/2/17 but it hasn't arrived yet. I might call today to see

Same here. I think I sent it 6/2/17 but it hasn't arrived yet. I might call today to see

Just called and they said to wait another day or two. If it's still not arrived, call back and maybe resend.

I haven't been accepted there but knew someone who got accepted there with half their credits from CC. But call to be absolutely sure.

That seemed a little confusing to me. I was chosen to do research at a medical school and one of the requirements was to do at least 12 hours of credit hours in order to keep my scholarship so i chose random research credits for that semester since i was technically doing research but the research at the medical school was kind of completely different. Based on that wording, I can't list this under research since I received classroom credit for it?
I don't exactly understand the situation, but as someone else told me earlier on this same topic on this post, use your best judgment, you know your research better than anyone else.

I am a bit confused about something: if GPA verification takes 4-6 weeks after you e-submit your AADSAS application, how is it possible to be a part of the first batch of applications that are "mailed out" even if you submit June 1st? Assuming all of your documents (transcripts, LORs, DAT) are in.

Reactions: 2 users
What is an example of an academic enrichment program?

Can someone help out I'm a little confused. Some of the schools that I applied to have their supplementals already posted on the adea app that we filled out (UCLA, UCSF, NYU) so does that mean that we send the separate application fee right away or wait till they email us after submitting the adea app?

14 minutes ago
+ QuoteReply

What is an example of an academic enrichment program?

Academic Enrichment: "Programs sponsored by colleges, universities or other not–for–profit organizations (e.g., Summer Medical and Dental Education Program/Summer Health Professions Education Program)."

Hard to say. I sent an email to ADEA to find out. Though I suspect what happens is the application itself updates and when a school looks at it later the updates will be in place. But they don't necessarily get some kind of update notification from the application, that is up to us to send the schools directly.

I received an email back from AADSAS regarding the updating of sections after you have submitted your app.

"After submitting, you will be able to go into your application and add new experiences if you would like, however, you are not able to change or delete any existing experiences. If you update this section with a new experience, that information will be updated to your application and sent to the institutions you have applies to, to accompany the already existing information."

If we put down more than 6 experiences, will they all show up on the application? I know the instructions say to choose 6 experiences to "highlight," but what if we put down 10 experiences? Will all 10 be found somewhere in the application? Or is the 6 a hard limit?

6 will show up on cover sheet I understand. if adcoms are interested enough/you pass the cutoff for grades/scores, they will look deeper into your file and consider all other experiences as well. the top 6 is a nice way to highlight what the student believes looks best or characterizes him or her best

Reactions: 1 users
Questions regarding manually entering grades

WHen it asks for credits, is this the credits the class is worth (i.e. Chem1 = 4 units/credits) so it'd be 4? or is it asking for the credits/points earned based on your grade?

Do we add the pluses and minuses?

what is the CAS grade and how do you find out what it is?

Questions regarding manually entering grades

WHen it asks for credits, is this the credits the class is worth (i.e. Chem1 = 4 units/credits) so it'd be 4? or is it asking for the credits/points earned based on your grade?

Do we add the pluses and minuses?

what is the CAS grade and how do you find out what it is?

1. Yes, 4 would be correct.
2. Yes, include them
3. I believe the CAS grade is your "Official" GPA and you'll be able to see this once AADSAS verifies your transcripts.

I used to volunteer in the ER when I was a pre-med, and I touch on this a bit in my PS. Should I put down ER volunteering on my AADSAS? Or leave it out? I don't feel like it's relevant enough to put down ... right? ER doesn't really have much to do with dentistry, and I didn't really see any cases of emergency dentistry in there.

I used to volunteer in the ER when I was a pre-med, and I touch on this a bit in my PS. Should I put down ER volunteering on my AADSAS? Or leave it out? I don't feel like it's relevant enough to put down ... right? ER doesn't really have much to do with dentistry, and I didn't really see any cases of emergency dentistry in there.
It's volunteering. I did ER volunteering (even though I was pre-dent) and I think I still learned valuable lessons. It will always be relevant, one because dentistry is health care as well, and two you were helping patients/doctors etc.

I'm enrolled in a one year graduate program. Should I enter pending classes that I will be taking in the Spring semester, even though I won't be able to do an academic update?

I volunteered at one hospital for three years , but i volunteered at 4 different departments throughout that time, do i put that as one experience OR put it as one experience for each department (4 total) that i volunteered?

I sent my transcript electronically to AADSAS 10 days ago and it still hasn't been received by them. Anyone else experiencing this?

I also sent a copy of the transcript to myself and received it immediately.

I sent my transcript electronically to AADSAS 10 days ago and it still hasn't been received by them. Anyone else experiencing this?

I also sent a copy of the transcript to myself and received it immediately.
I called earlier today and the rep said it could take anywhere from 2-3 weeks for the status to change to "Arrived". And mine were mailed out on June 2nd!!!!! It seems like they're swamped, but this is ridiculous. I was really trying to be first batch

I called earlier today and the rep said it could take anywhere from 2-3 weeks for the status to change to "Arrived". And mine were mailed out on June 2nd!!!!! It seems like they're swamped, but this is ridiculous. I was really trying to be first batch

Just to clarify, it doesn't matter when we submit our app if our transcripts weren't received yet right?

I have a weird question. I'm really into cosmetics and I'm going to be putting it down in the manual dexterity section. Anyone know how to make it sound technical? I can create detailed eye looks and whatnot, but I don't know how to phrase it.

My transcripts still say they are being verified but the University of Pittsburgh said they have received my application. Does this mean my transcripts are done being verified and just haven't updated or is it just a Pitt specific thing?