MCAT Raffle Items

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At the end of Test Prep Week, there will be two winners slected by the administrators at SDN to win the following:

• 1) A complete set of the 2013 TBR homestudy books.

• 2) A set of 7 CBT exams to be used in 2013.

In addition to the SDN rules, we have a few to set forth. After a learning curve spawned by a past event, we have some rules about the prizes.

(1) These cannot be substituted in any way for another prize or for credit towards a course.

(2) If you provide an invalid shipping address and the books get returned to us, then you are responsible for the shipping costs for re-shipping.

(3) If you have already purchased the books from us, we will not issue a refund in lieu of the books. We will send the winning set of books, which you are encouraged to sell off.

(4) If you do not contact us (through SDN private message using your winning account) within the time period allotted by SDN, then you lose your prize and it will be designated to the next person that SDN notifies us has won (a second chance winner).

Members don't see this ad.

Building off of my last question, how do you plan on adapting to services that are free? Such as Khanacademy, freelanchteach, etc. Do you think this is overall a good idea for a student to use these if they can't afford shelling out hundreds of dollars for books from your company? Do you think it would be a good supplement to your materials to utilize these?

Hi BerkReviewTeach,

I have several questions about your products. I have heard numerous praises on SDN and other forums that they have been one of the best books for science review. I am planning a retake and want to further increase my scores for science. (11PS, 12BS) Upon reading your other replies about how your book is different I want to know some specifics about how it is different. I have used Kaplans and currently using EK books. I was planning on buying your products as well but wasn't sure since I could not examine a copy of it in any retail stores. I want to know about how the books are structurally different, do you guys just go more in depth with topics by explaining the topic more through words? Do you guys add graphs and try to be more visual? Or do you guys have simple mnemonics? Basically how is the structure of the content in your books different from Kaplan or EK besides the difference in authors? Each company say their authors are better but when it all comes down to studying it is the way the materials are explained and presented that matters the most to a home study student trying to learn. Therefore, I want to know how the content and structuring of your content is different.

Also I noticed that on your website you buy the books in "sets" for each topic. I was wondering do you guys have a type of "full package" deal instead of buying the sets individually, if not do you guys intend to do anything of the sort? Also is there any "Major" different between years? Is there major revisions of topics in sets or is it more change based on trial?

P.S sorry the questions seem repetitive. I just want a copy to examine but I don't think you guys ship to like book stores etc. Therefore, I wanna know how your books are structured before buying.

You have the most loaded question posted so far. I am going to try to balance political correctness and etiquette with candor and experience. I'm going to start by asking you what you would look at if you could go to a bookstore and compare our books side-by-side to the others. It sounds from the tact of your questions that you'd compare the text portion of each chapter, which is a mistake many people make. Comparing text is not what matters most, although it is important. You don't need to compare how differently an equation like PV=nRT is worded. You need a better way of recognizing that PV=nRT is applicable when the passage talks about fugasity and vapor pressure fluctuations caused by climate changes. You need materials that focus on simplifying material that at first glance looks complicated.

You have an 11 and a 12 already, so you clearly must have a solid grasp of the material tested. The way you elevate your scores at this point only comes from becoming a better test taker. To get to a 13 and 14 for instance, you need to eliminate three to four wrong answers per section. This can best be accomplished by doing tons of passages slowly, and analyzing how you attack each passage and question. Finding where you need to focus more, find what type of mistakes you make, and most importantly find the approach that works best for you.

To truly compare the books, you need to open to the answer explanations section, because that is where the real development of test skills occurs. This is where our books would be heads, shoulders, chest, waist, and knees above the rest. Our explanations are thorough evaluations of what material was needed, what could be eliminated, what was relevant, and what traps to avoid. They explain the concept and the path to an answer. They basically kick butt over everything else on the market.

You mentioned that every company claims to have the best authors and best books. That's why you need to not read what the companies claim but instead what people who have used them claim. Given that we are a tiny company that does zero advertising, yet our books are regarded as the best, says a great deal of how superior they must be. There is plenty written about them in this forum, but what I'd suggest you look at to get a good idea of what BR does better than anyone is the thread on what makes us unique. Your question is basically that, so no other thread will answer it as well.

Ultimately what sets our books apart is that the primary author in each book has taught MCAT preparation for over twenty years. Only as a teacher do you learn exactly what a student needs. No other author has as much in-class teaching as experience as BR authors. That's why they explain things differently, using teaching techniques like analogies and logical simplifications of concepts to the basics. I hope I've answered your question professionally as possible.

Last edited:
First of all, I want to start by saying that your books seem like the absolute best resource out there...I tend to overplan things when I get excited, so I spent an embarrassingly long time scouring the internet for MCAT review book reviews (wow, that sounds awkward), and read just about every thread out there on comparing TBR to TPR, Kaplan, EK, you name it. Your book won in reader reviews hands down, mostly due to the passages you include!

However, I very nearly didn't purchase them, and actually ended up with an outdated set, simply because the website has a 'dated' look to it and, more importantly, the payment methods seemed cumbersome and very bizarre. I don't believe I have ever paid for anything by check except in person, and I didn't know money orders were still a thing. When I first tried to buy the books, I honestly thought I'd fallen for the best scam ever, until I remembered that many people in the review threads had commented on the strange site.

Having obtained a full (slightly dated) set from the SDN forums, I now wish that I had given my business directly to you guys; the used prices are pretty similar to new, but you guys lose a sale and I miss out on the most recent materials!

I suppose my question is, while I know setting up a credit transaction could be a hassle, have you guys ever considered using PayPal or something similarly easy to set up? I feel that the site loses you new sales simply because it's...very uncomfortable...to exchange that much money through a dated site via dated methods. It unfairly set off many of my internet transaction red flags, if you know what I mean!

Thank you so much for such a sincere message. I know how much time it took to type and greatly appreciate the passion you have shared. You are 100% correct. I have no idea what to type though, because I have thought about your questions for the last six and a half years. I have talked about this with everyone in the company who will listen. We all have. There are two frustrating things about BR management. (1) They are focused on teaching first and foremost and don't have the business sense in place. They run a good business, but if they added a business person it could be so much bigger and better. (2) They know that they're sitting on a goldmine and they don't care. I appreciate that they care more about feedback of their product than feedback on their ordering and delivery methods, but small changes could do so much.

Hopefully after then five-thousandsth suggestion to improve the website and have one-click ordering comes in, they'll change. They need to do it soon, because I know how much emphasis they are putting on getting the books and exams ready for 2015, and if they don't update the website now then they'll ignore it another few years. Already they are spending far more time worrying about a change that is two years away than they spend on their website.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For the typical college student from a middle class family, MCAT prep costs can be an issue. What makes your materials more cost effective than any other company? Do you foresee in the future that costs of prep materials will increase? Decrease?

I think what makes them cost effective is that you get far more passages for what you pay than with any other source out there. The absolute cheapest way to be 99.99% prepared for your MCAT is to use BR books, a few BR CBTs, and a few AAMC exams. And if you notice that used BR books sell in the SDN classifieds section for on average what they cost new, they could charge more. The reason they don't charge more comes back to your opening line. Without telling you too much about the owners, everyone of them paid their own way through college. They empathize more than you would imagine, which is why they give more and charge less than every other company out there.

If you consider the behind the scenes costs, then you can reason that BR being small and continually revising their materials prints in small costly chunks. A company like Kaplan that is owned by the Washington Post (a printing company) can print much cheaper. Berkeley Review prints their books on the whitest paper available (for easiest reading) and paper that is fibrous so that it is easier to write on than glossy paper. You never think about choices like this as a consumer, but BR has chosen the absolute best paper medium for their workbooks.

So when it comes to cost effectiveness for the consumer, it's BR hands down. More passages, better answers, better resale value, and highest quality all play a part in why they're the best.

Building off of my last question, how do you plan on adapting to services that are free? Such as Khanacademy, freelanchteach, etc. Do you think this is overall a good idea for a student to use these if they can't afford shelling out hundreds of dollars for books from your company? Do you think it would be a good supplement to your materials to utilize these?

I'm so glad you asked an agressive question about cost, because every student should ask why it costs what it does. They should do this with every company!

Let's do a cost analysis to see whether a student can or cannot afford to shell out hundreds of dollars for books from our company. Let's say they choose to buy all of the books. It will cost them $310 plus let's say $30 for shipping. They have spent $340. They write on scratch paper and keep the books pristine. After thay are done, they advertise on SDN classifieds and sell them for $275 (the latest average price). They spend $20 to send them out and $25 for Paypal fees. They get $230 back. So overall they spent $30 on FedEx, $20 on USPS, $25 on Paypal, and $35 to use the books for their studies. That seems like a pretty cost-reasonable way to study using the best books available.

As for utilizing the internet to present free lessons, that's already going on to a small extent with BR. I personally think it's a useful complement to printed study materials, but as only a minor component of preparation. It should be used as a way to gain extra exposure to a particularly challenging topic, but not as a main staple of review. The problem is that as of today the big sites are aiming more for the general population than premeds. There is nothing specifically aimed at the MCAT, besides wikipremed.

As far as making prep more affordable and available, it's sounds like a great plan. But how do you recommend that happens? There is the trick. Do you think it should be supplemented by government aid? The reality is that investing to improve medicine would be a great idea, but how do you convince a politician of how critical that is. All you'll hear back is that you are asking for government aid so someone can get a $200,000/year job in an economy where people are unemployed. Next you could go to the big companies and ask them to not charge $2000 for an online course or $125/hour for private tutoring. That's not going to happen. So at the end of the day you have two options really. (1) Create a community of energized premeds and med students to build a free on-line MCAT course available to everyone. (2) Support the companies that have the lowest prices to keep industry-wide prices lower.

It can change in time, but as of today that is the reality.

You have a great question and valid frustration with the industry on the whole. And not just MCAT prep, which is actually the best bargain of them all given everything you get for the cost, but test prep in general. It's a billion-dollar industry controlled primarily by two big companies. The prices for LSAT, GMAT, SAT, MCAT, and so on courses are out of control. The cost of college is way out of control, and prep companies price accordingly. This has opened a big Pandora's box, but maybe it's time to talk about it. I encourage you to post this same question to all of the companies here. Ask why they charge $11,000 for a course or why they charge so much for access to a server with questions. Open the dialogue and see what comes from it.

Last edited:
Hi BerkReviewTeach,

Any plans for a Phase III for physics? Or has that idea been trashed in anticipation of the 2015 MCAT?

As a side note, your books are amazing. I already got one friend to get a set for himself and now my physics professor wants a copy of the physics books so he can focus his course more on the MCAT. Will make for a great present :)

Thanks for all your helpful posts!

Hi BerkReviewTeach,

Any plans for a Phase III for physics? Or has that idea been trashed in anticipation of the 2015 MCAT?

As a side note, your books are amazing. I already got one friend to get a set for himself and now my physics professor wants a copy of the physics books so he can focus his course more on the MCAT. Will make for a great present :)

Wow, sounds like a great physics prof! I can't think of any I've met who would cater to the non-physics major contingent!

Hi BerkReviewTeach,

Phase III had been in the works for a little over a year when as you expected, priorities changed to gear up for the 2015 exam. I'm not sure what has become of those passages beyond their use in the classroom course.

And as was already commented, that's really impressive to see that a professor is willing to mold their class to the needs of their premed students. The reality of academia is that the best students are premeds, so as a professor it's who you should target when designing your course. If the top-end students are excited, then you have a good chance of that enthusiasm spreading.

Would you suggest, then, to split up Phase II into two phases somehow?

And yes, he was a really great professor!

Hi,

What is TBR planning to do for the MCAT 2015 changes?

1) Curious about how BR teachers scored on the MCAT in recent years. I figure you guys take the MCAT every so often to stay fresh with the experience, any internal 'high-scores' that everyone competes for a spot on?

2) I know that each book (and sometimes each chapter/subsection) have different authors and I've certainly noticed a fair amount of inconsistencies among each chapter. Sometimes, the same factoid or idea will be repeated a few pages later because it comes into play and it seems like the new author wasn't sure if it was already mentioned. In Physics, "not enough information to determine" is a fairly common answer.. then you have a question in Orgo that literally says "not enough information to determine (NEVER PICK THIS!)." What do you guys do to try to make sure the information, tips and ideas are consistent among different authors? I swear if the Orgo author tells me to pick a certain answer to be a star again, I'm going to punch somebody :laugh:

3) How meticulously planned are the Phases? SN2ed's plan doesn't recommend you follow the Phases and instead just splits them into thirds. After looking through them though, I've decided to follow the Phases when given (I think all but Bio have them). Is it just me or are the Phase I passages more diverse (covers more topics) and also have passages that typically give a ton of background information while the latter Phases are more MCAT style. I like that (if intended) since it lets you build up your knowledge base before being thrown to the wolves.

I've done 1/2 of Phase II for Physics so far, which is the only subject with Phases that don't have a Phase III (I think).

Bio: no phases, 100-question exam
Chem: 3 phases, 100-questions total
Physics: 2 phases, 25-question review + 52 question exam?
Orgo: 3 phases, 25-question review + 52 question exam + another review (question #?)

It works better IMO than just doing a straight 1/3 of each.

May I ask how accurate are your CBT? in terms of scores and questions. Also, what do you think about TBR for verbal preparation?

I'm still over a year from my anticipated MCAT date and am sort of anticipating a more drawn-out preparation time (with some intensive study during the final month). At this point, I'm planning on getting my hands on as much study material as I can, but I'd like to hear from a professional. TBR has such a distinctive reputation and I don't doubt it will be my best resource. My question is, if I have time to work through the full set of TBR (I think you estimated around 190 hours for the sciences, depending on the individual), is it worth putting time and money into other materials? Or would it be more efficient to simply spend more time with TBR?

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

I have heard your books are detailed and lengthy, how much time do you estimate is needed to get through the complete set?

Thanks!

How does your CBTs compare in conjunction with the AAMC's CBTs in terms of difficulty?

Splitting it up is the best option. I'd recommend doing the first three passages and first set of free-standing questions as Phase II and the remaining passages and questions as Phase III.

Hi,

What is TBR planning to do for the MCAT 2015 changes?

Great timing for your question, because I literally just got my next assignment. The changes are starting with the books, then the lecture course, and then finally the CBTs. For the physical sciences, it now has to center on biological examples and some of organic chemistry is being incorporated into PS. So there will be new passages with an emphasis on biological systems. Existing passages that focus on experiments will remain. In biological sciences, most of the passages are already on experiments, so there isn't much to change. The text will change and organic chemistry is going to be reduced, with pieces being moved to other books.

The really big change is going to be the new section. If all goes according to plan, the first version will be ready by January, 2014, for editting and scrutiny. Once the feedback is complete, the first version will be editted and changed in time for Fall 2014's classes. The book will cover the sociology, psychology, and perception components. Most of the passages will be based on experiments in those fields. The teachers of that section will have the final say in what goes into the first actually printing of that books. Lastly, verbal reasoning is getting a big facelift. Many of the excellent passages currently used in the classroom course will be incorporated into the book.

The course itself is going to have additional lectures for psychology experiments and theories, sociology experiments and theories, and the basic theory of experiments. The first new class will run from January 2015 through March 2015.

1) Curious about how BR teachers scored on the MCAT in recent years. I figure you guys take the MCAT every so often to stay fresh with the experience, any internal 'high-scores' that everyone competes for a spot on?

The ironic thing is that MCAT scores are never part of the application process to teach, but the people who make the grade generally have great scores. The three most recent people hired had scores of 37, 40, and 36. But they would have been hired with lower scores, because their strength was in their ability to deliver information. Their scores were a nice bonus though.

2) I know that each book (and sometimes each chapter/subsection) have different authors and I've certainly noticed a fair amount of inconsistencies among each chapter. Sometimes, the same factoid or idea will be repeated a few pages later because it comes into play and it seems like the new author wasn't sure if it was already mentioned. In Physics, "not enough information to determine" is a fairly common answer.. then you have a question in Orgo that literally says "not enough information to determine (NEVER PICK THIS!)." What do you guys do to try to make sure the information, tips and ideas are consistent among different authors? I swear if the Orgo author tells me to pick a certain answer to be a star again, I'm going to punch somebody :laugh:

The text is actually a consistent author; it's the passages that are written by several different authors. Redundancy is probably by design, given that the answer explanations also engage in redundnacy, assuming that people do not always read the entire book (as they shouldn't). I think in physics, any issue might be that the primary author changed between recent editions. In fact, I couldn't find a "none of the above" answer choice in physics, but I didn't look at every question. I think those have been phased out (or nearly completely out). As for the organic chemistry author's unique anecdotes at the end, just think how much fun it would be to spend hours with that same person during a revising session. :) Those anecdotes are just in print. And believe it or not, they have been reduced, because it used to be every question.

3) How meticulously planned are the Phases? SN2ed's plan doesn't recommend you follow the Phases and instead just splits them into thirds. After looking through them though, I've decided to follow the Phases when given (I think all but Bio have them). Is it just me or are the Phase I passages more diverse (covers more topics) and also have passages that typically give a ton of background information while the latter Phases are more MCAT style. I like that (if intended) since it lets you build up your knowledge base before being thrown to the wolves.

I tend to think they overthought the phases to be quite frank. They categorized questions and tried to distribute them amongst the three phases according to the amount of straight review versus critical thinking they required. I was not a big believer in the phase approach at first, so I'm a little biased, but after seeing the effort and hearing the ideas behind it, I see its utility. Ultimately you're going to do all of the passages anyway, so SN2ed's approach is great too. His plan has led to many great scores, so I think it must work pretty darn well!

I've done 1/2 of Phase II for Physics so far, which is the only subject with Phases that don't have a Phase III (I think).

Bio: no phases, 100-question exam
Chem: 3 phases, 100-questions total
Physics: 2 phases, 25-question review + 52 question exam?
Orgo: 3 phases, 25-question review + 52 question exam + another review (question #?)

It works better IMO than just doing a straight 1/3 of each.

That's the plan. And when you post it like that, I can see the personalities of the various authors (teachers). It's funny how much your previous question overlaps with this one.

May I ask how accurate are your CBT? in terms of scores and questions. Also, what do you think about TBR for verbal preparation?

If you look through threads, you'll get a pretty good answer about our CBTs. The average CBT score on BR exams ends up being about 1.7 below the average actual MCAT score for people, so they are right in the neighborhood. The questions themselves are an excellent way to prepare for a thinking exam on a mixture of straight forward concepts and bizarre passages. There's a reason why most people who have taken exams from multiple sources say ours are the next best to AAMC's exams, or in some cases, evne better. It's a big point of pride for BR.

Which leads to verbal, which honestly is on the other side of the pride spectrum. The classroom teacher and the inclass lectures are excellent, and the exercises they do gear someone up for a test on extracting ideas from b.s. and answering a broad range of question types. Tha classroom handouts are fantastic tools for improving. The book has some very good passages, but the honest truth is that there are also some that are not that helpful. In my personal opinion, it's because they sought out too many different authors and kept some passages that were poorly written in the interest of keeping the passage collection as diverse as possible. I get it in theory that you want passages from many different personalities, but someone needs to reel in one of the passage authors to make it go from a good book to a great book. For someone who has exhuasted their passage supply, it's a good book to add to your arsenal.

I'm still over a year from my anticipated MCAT date and am sort of anticipating a more drawn-out preparation time (with some intensive study during the final month). At this point, I'm planning on getting my hands on as much study material as I can, but I'd like to hear from a professional. TBR has such a distinctive reputation and I don't doubt it will be my best resource. My question is, if I have time to work through the full set of TBR (I think you estimated around 190 hours for the sciences, depending on the individual), is it worth putting time and money into other materials? Or would it be more efficient to simply spend more time with TBR?

Thanks so much for your feedback!

My opinion, and this comes from having taken the MCAT more than having worked as a teacher, is that when it comes to preparaing and reviewing you should anchor to one set for your conceptual review but as many good sources as you can for practice passages. I have looked at materials from other sources that students bring to office hours, and I can honestly say that some of it is pretty good. But some is bad and error prone in sections. Knowing this, I can also say without 100% certainty that BR is the best way to review. They explain things methodically and then give you techniques and strategies to solve questions that range from simple to complex. No other book mixes review and test-taking strategies as well (or even comes close). They also are the final say in terms of factual correctness.

In your situation, it would seem that reviewing without starting passages is a great way to start. Mix in some phase I homework about half way through your long term review, but save passages for the end. Once your reviewing is complete, finish all of the phase I and phase II homework sets. It's at ths time when other materials should be incorporated, taken concurrently with Phase III of the homework. You'll find that Berkeley Review tricks make questions from other books easier. You also won't need to go through the answer explanations as much, which is a weakness in some of the other materials. If you do those materials too soon, before you completely understand the strategies and concepts, then when you miss questions you'll get frustrated at the less then helpful answer explanations. By waiting to do those questions until the end of your preparation period, you do them when answer explanations aren't as essential.

The last part of any review is taking plenty of CBTs.

The one book I would strongly suggest you add to your arsenal is the AAMC book. It's a hidden treasure. Also, Wikipremed is a valuable resource for targeting particularly challenging topics.

Hello!

I have heard your books are detailed and lengthy, how much time do you estimate is needed to get through the complete set?

Thanks!

The reality is that the text portion is only about 10% longer on average than the average book available for review. Reading and reviewing might take an extra five minutes per chapter. Where the real time sponge exists is that we have so many more questions and passages than other books, so you spend much more time doing homework and reviewing answer explanations. If you choose to do every question and read through every answer, you should plan on 50 hours for orgo, 60 hours each for chemistry and physics, and 75 hours for biology. But if you read what you need and do the majority of passages, skipping some when you know a topic well, then it should be about 190 hours total, (40 for orgo and roughly 50 each for the others).

Time doing passages that make you think and combine topics is always a good thing, so although it sounds like a large amount of time, it's well spent. People willing to do the work and willing to practice a new way to solve questions faster than before (taking full advantage of how a multiple-choice format helps you) get great results.

How does your CBTs compare in conjunction with the AAMC's CBTs in terms of difficulty?

On average, they are harder. If you look at the home study thread, it breaks down the exams in terms of what to expect in the three sections. In general, one section will be on par with an average MCAT, one will be on par with a difficult MCAT, and one will beat you up a little. Which section is which varies from exam to exam. In the end, you'll be prepared for anything and most importantly, ready to finish every section on time. The on time part is a critical, and often overlooked, aspect.

Hi, thanks for doing this!
I used the TBR books somewhat for my last mcat and I loved all of the practice passages!! If I have to retake, I will definitely focus on TBR materials. I think it would be great if the practice passages were available electronically since this would mimic testing conditions a bit more. Do you know if they are planning on adding this option? Have you heard of students struggling with the transition from practicing on paper to practice tests? I did a Kaplan course previously and almost all of the materials were available online and I found it was helpful to practice that way.
Thank you so much!

Hi, thanks for doing this!
I used the TBR books somewhat for my last mcat and I loved all of the practice passages!! If I have to retake, I will definitely focus on TBR materials. I think it would be great if the practice passages were available electronically since this would mimic testing conditions a bit more. Do you know if they are planning on adding this option? Have you heard of students struggling with the transition from practicing on paper to practice tests? I did a Kaplan course previously and almost all of the materials were available online and I found it was helpful to practice that way.
Thank you so much!

I hope you don't have to retake! May the curve be kind to you!

As far as putting materials online, it would make it easier and cheaper from the company's standpoint. Cutting the high cost of printing has been discussed at several business meetings. In fact, there are many passages from the books and handouts that are already loaded on the website. But with BR you are dealing with a group of teachers as opposed to the other companies which are run by people with business degrees who focus on the bottomline. Profit margin has never been a reason behind any choice (which is why they don't expand the course locations, sell additional products, etc...).

The decision always comes back to what is the best way to learn. You are correct that some material needs to mimic the actual exam, which is why the FL practice exams are in a CBT format. There must be exams on the computer. But studying is best done on paper, as many education studies have demonstrated. Working problems on white paper has proven to be the most effective method for learning. This is not only what the research shows, but it's been what we've seen with students over the years. I personally have never seen a student struggle with transitioning to a CBT format from paper. I think the large amount of daily computer exposure makes the transition an easy one. We encourage students to use scratch paper no matter what medium, but for the convenience of studying anywhere and getting best comprehension, BR will be sticking to the more expensive method of printing on paper.

Woo! I've been using TBR to study Physics, Organic, and General Chemistry. I'm quite pleased with thoroughness of the content review and the structure of the questions. Access to those CBTs would really help me to prepare for test day come summertime. Count me in!

:luck:

edit: Aw! Hope I'm not too late!

Woo! I've been using TBR to study Physics, Organic, and General Chemistry. I'm quite pleased with thoroughness of the content review and the structure of the questions. Access to those CBTs would really help me to prepare for test day come summertime. Count me in!

:luck:

edit: Aw! Hope I'm not too late!

Hopefully you got your post in under the gun. Thanks for the kind words and best of luck with the raffle.

Hi BerkReviewTeach,

I am glad you took the time to respond to my post with a well though out response. It is true the way that I usually compare the books is to look first at the presentation of the information. Is it wordy? Is it visually appealing? And most of all is it in an order that I find makes sense? I have used Kaplan and EK books so far and I can say for sure that some books are rather wordy and rather than getting to the point go off on a tangent and require you to read more nonsense than needed. Others books however, do not give ENOUGH text and sometimes require you to further research the topic. I admit that this is not the most efficient way to compare the books, but to a new MCAT taker it might be how they look at the books first.

I think you made a great point in saying that its not only about the material presented and who wrote the material, but also the fact that the answers are also part of the learning. Again I have to say that some books do give a well thought out answer but at times they go off tangent rather than to the point. Others also give you small replies with the formula telling you to "plug and chug" rather than explaining the thought process of intuitively knowing which formula to use. That being said I am sure that SDN praises your books because your books fulfill not only the presentation but also the explanation part of the learning process. For these reasons I would definitely want to try your books and will think about buying them in the following week.

P.S. , How do I participate in the raffle? I have all the BR books (2012), and am dying to get their CBTs, but I'm to broke to afford any atm :-(. Would be sweet if I win this raffle

Congratulations on winning the book raffle!

Hello! Let me first say that I've heard from multiple places that TBR is one of the best (if not THE best) resource in MCAT studying.

Do you suggest waiting until you've mostly completed your studying before working on the practice tests or integrating them into your studying?

Thank you!

Congratulations on winning the CBT raffle!