Medical RAFFLE ITEM: How to be Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdadmit

Admissions Expert
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

MDadmit is proud to be donating Dr. Suzanne M. Miller's brand new book How to be Pre-Med: A Harvard MD's Medical School Preparation Guide for Students and Parents.

The raffle winner will receive one copy of How to be Pre-Med.

The raffle winner will be drawn by SDN from among the members who post an answer to this question:
If you could have one book/product/service to help you with getting into medical school/applying to medical school, what would it be?

Up to 500 SDN members can enter the drawing
Shipping is limited to domestic US addresses.

How to be Pre-Med Description:
How To Be Pre-Med assists high school, college, and non-traditional students interested in becoming physicians by describing the pre-med route from start to finish using the Six Buckets model Dr. Miller developed through over a decade of medical school admissions advising. This guide is equally helpful to those hoping to pursue a medical career and to loved ones, such as parents, spouses, relatives, and friends, supporting a pre-med.

Dr. Miller created How to be Pre-Med to serve as a prequel to the best-selling The Medical School Admissions Guide: A Harvard MD's Week-by-Week Admissions Handbook because readers frequently provided feedback wishing they had received similar expert guidance sooner in the pre-med process.

How To Be Pre-Med covers all information required to excel as a pre-med and prepare for the medical school application process. I suggest you read this book as soon as you decide to pursue the pre-med path to help strategize selection of undergraduate or post-baccalaureate experiences. Then return to it each year to assess how you are filling up the Six Buckets.

Once you have decided to apply to medical school, pick up the latest edition of The Medical School Admissions Guide and follow the weekly steps required to create the best application possible to maximize your chances of admission.

Feel free to post any questions you have about How to be Pre-Med or MDadmit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
does your book offers any substantial advice that isn't already available on the SDN forums?

Are there any sample personal statements in the book?

Members don't see this ad :)
does your book offers any substantial advice that isn't already available on the SDN forums?
Well I certainly think so, or I wouldn't have written it:) In fact, I was asked to write the book by both my clients and pre-med groups I have given talks to around the country. They were looking for information from an admissions expert with over a decade of experience. Why sieve through angsty pre-med posts whose truthfulness is often suspect when you can get expert advice in one book?

Thanks for the question, and I hope you are holding pressure with one finger on your hemorrhage:)

Are there any sample personal statements in the book?
Thanks for the questions, coldste888, I can tell you are an active member.

In How to be Pre-Med, we follow five pre-meds through the process. Thus, there are five examples of personal statements, AMCAS work/activities sections, recommendation selections, etc. These are examples from real pre-meds who have successfully gained admission to medical school. If you want even more personal statement, AMCAS work/activities, secondary essay, and letter of intent/update letter examples, check out The Medical School Admissions Guide.

Is this book geared for a freshman premed just starting out, or is it more applicable to students who are 2-3 years into their premedical studies?

Is this book geared for a freshman premed just starting out, or is it more applicable to students who are 2-3 years into their premedical studies?
How to be Pre-Med, with its' Six Buckets model, will help any pre-med who is thinking of being pre-med, just starting out, 2-3 years in, or a non-traditional student. If you are literally about to apply, then The Medical School Admissions Guide is the better book for you. Thanks for all of your questions Sabio23!

I'm wondering what this book has specifically for parents. I know I was never really able to get my parents to fully understand what being a premed was like. I wonder if they would have liked this book/might still enjoy it.

Caristra,

Thanks for the post. How to be Pre-Med was written with both students and parents in mind, and will be equally beneficial for both. In fact, part of the reason I wrote How to be Pre-Med was to help all of the flustered, confused, and overwhelmed pre-med parents trying to guide their children through the pre-med process. It's hard to be a helpful parent if you don't have the specific knowledge to help! So, yes, I think your parents and all other pre-med parents would find this book very illuminating.

Thanks for all of your replies. I look forward to new queries during the 2016 Admissions Prep Week!