Medical Raffel Item: MedEdits Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MedEdits Medical Admissions is giving away 5 books.

Winners can choose one of the following four books:

1) The MedEdits Guide to Medical School Admissions

Dr. Jessica Freedman, a former Mount Sinai School of Medicine faculty member, offers concrete guidance to help applicants distinguish themselves in the medical school admissions process. Read full personal statements and applications by students who were accepted to medical school! This book includes examples of application entries, “most meaningful” experiences, personal statements, secondary essays, and letters of intent.

This easy to read and up to date guide offers realistic advice for applicants on many topics including:

-Where to go to college if you are premed
-When to take the MCAT
-Whom to ask for letters of reference
-How to write a personal statement
-How to write application experience entries
-How to write “most meaningful” experience application entries
-What medical schools look for in applicants
-What applicants can do to market themselves most effectively
-How medical school admissions committees decide whom to interview
-What to do if you are “waitlisted”
-Deciding where to apply and attend

2) The Medical School Interview

Based on her experience as an admissions officer and as a private advisor, Dr. Freedman provides guidance on what to expect on interview day, how to influence what is discussed during your interview and what you can do to ensure a stellar interview performance. She also writes about what goes on “behind the scenes” after your interview and provides a transcript for a sample interview.

The Medical School Interview includes:

-What you must do to prepare
-What the interviewer is trying to assess
-How to influence the course of your interview
-The different types of interviewers and how this impacts your experience
-How you are evaluated
-What happens at the admission committee meeting after you leave
-A sample interview with questions and answers

3) The Residency Interview

These words make every applicant nervous. This MedEdits guide provides applicants with insight about the residency interview process as well as a general framework to dramatically improve their confidence on interview day. This book is based on Dr. Jessica Freedman's experience in residency admissions while on faculty at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City and her observations while privately advising residency applicants with MedEdits (www.MedEdits.com).

Get practical advice on:
- How to prepare for your interview
- What to expect on interview day
-The different types of interviewers
- What information you must convey during your interview
- How to structure your answers and direct your interview
- What to wear, how to behave on tours, lunches, "night be- fore" gatherings and many other topics

4) How To Be An All-Star Residency Match Applicant: From The First Year of Medical School To Match Day.

The competition to get a residency is fierce. In 2013, more than 34,000 residency applicants competed for only 26,392 positions. What can you do to make yourself a more competitive applicant? How To Be an All-Star Residency Match Applicant is a concise and straightforward guide which is perfect for the busy medical student and residency applicant. This book, chock-full of useful tips you can start using during your first year of medical school, aims to demystify the residency admissions process. In this book, you will find easy to follow answers to all of your questions:
  • What should you do to distinguish yourself as a residency applicant
  • How important are extracurricular activities?
  • Which specialties are most competitive?
  • How important are audition electives?
  • Who should write your letters of reference?
  • How do you approach the personal statement and application?
  • How do you show interest in programs?
  • And more….
Written by a former residency admissions officer who has helped hundreds of residency applicants, from a variety of backgrounds, match in to competitive residency programs and specialties, this guide will become an invaluable and go-to resource as you navigate the residency admissions process. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be interested in #2, #3, or #4! I'd rank my preference as: #4, #2, #3.

I would love to win book #2! or #1, but preference is #2

Members don't see this ad :)
Books 2, 4, 1 all sound great! I would like any of those please.

Books 1, 2, 3 or 4 for me :) I like them all!