Racism; Do dentists only attract patients of their own kind?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.CinnamonRoll

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a second generation korean american student hoping to maltriculate into dental school within the next two years.
I wanted to ask, is racism prevalent in the dental field? I feel like americans would want to have an american dentist, seeing how koreans only seem to want a korean dentist.

I only ask because im not good enough at korean to attract korean patients, and if people around me only want dentists of their own kind (non-korean dentists), then im kinda fked cuz ill have no demographic target...

While we're at it, lets talk about korean pre-dents for a second..... why are there so many of us? Loll

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We don't care. Do a good job, crack some jokes, and be friendly. That is all.

Reactions: 11 users
Im a second generation korean american student hoping to maltriculate into dental school within the next two years.
I wanted to ask, is racism prevalent in the dental field? I feel like americans would want to have an american dentist, seeing how koreans only seem to want a korean dentist.

I only ask because im not good enough at korean to attract korean patients, and if people around me only want dentists of their own kind (non-korean dentists), then im kinda fked cuz ill have no demographic target...

While we're at it, lets talk about korean pre-dents for a second..... why are there so many of us? Loll

The broad answer is no. You'll attract all sorts of patients of a diverse nature. Being asian works as a positive, as there are some positive stereotypes associated with practitioners of asian(any in the eyes of non asian) descent. Note that I use the word asian, as the positive stereotype lumps in anyone and everyone.

The problem with the "sticking to your own kind" tends to stem more from first generations that hold strong cultural values. You won't find that as much of a problem with those that were born in the US.

Ultimately, what will get people to come to you (and keep coming back) would be your advertising and personality. Don't worry about race too much.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you speak coherently, I see no problems with your ethnicity. My vet's practice failed, because it was impossible to understand what he was saying

"Do dentists only attract patients of their own kind?"

Take out the word only and I would agree.
It can definitely be an advantage.

On the other hand, you would certainly lose out on non-english speaking patients that prefers a dentist that speaks their language . But then again, why would you want to attract patients you can't communicate with?

Reactions: 1 users
I've had this worry too, I work for a 1st gen Korean periodontist who would say ignorant things like "what are you going to do if an AZ cop pulls you over and asks if you speak English?" and "a white patient will expect you to act like an Asian and not a whitewashed fool like you." This dude's practically tried to brainwash me to think that being Asian is a disadvantage in a "white man's world," which is discouraging and destructive thinking, especially when the world needs less racism and less ignorance. And 99% of his patients are Koreans who can't speak

In any case, thanks to OP for having the cojones to initiate this topic.

From what I've observed, 2 things: entrepreneurial spirit, and international student status. From what I've heard from my Korean international friends, it's easier to for them to get into d-school than med school, and the 20 or so Koreans at Penn have like 3.8 oGPA and 25 AA kinda prove that "academically capable of med school" point of view. And dentistry is extremely saturated in South Korea atm. Think Los Angeles Koreatown times 10.

Edit: added the quote

Last edited:
Simply, no. I'm of Bangladeshi origin (was actually born there but grew up here) and I hope to see patients of all ethnic backgrounds when I'm practicing. I shadowed an American (white) dentists and he seemed to get a good mix of Latin American, African American, Asian and white patients. Yes, there was a larger white patient population, but that was because it was in MN and there isn't a whole crap ton of diversity over there ;). I also shadowed a Hispanic Pediatric dentist who had patients of all sorts similar to the American (white) dentist. Yes, your ethnic background may help you get some patients of that same background but will by no means limit you to that ethnic background.

And @redhotchiligochu there are a lot of Asian students here at Penn (Me included :)) They are indefinitely academically capable, but sometimes loack the social aspect... Which could end up being dentrimental to their future careers. Not to say they are a will-not-talk-to-anyone type, but are not necessarily outgoing like a dentist probably should be to some extent. What good is a 27 DAT and a 4.2 GPA if you are not social at all...? :shrug:

[EDIT]: Made things flow. Corrected grammar.

-Fyz

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you actually shadowed an office in a diverse population? Honest question because where I'm at the dentist sees everyone and it was never an issue. It's a diverse population here though so people just find the best dentist. I've shadowed multiple dentists - some Asian and some not.

From what I've seen no one really cares and if they do you probably wont hear from them again anyways. Again, this is coming from a more diverse area (and I will admit I've only seen it from a pre-dent aspect!)

And as for Koreans in dentistry I think it's not just dentistry but medicine as a whole. I know some have parents who push them into it. I just liked medicine and found to enjoy dentistry the most for various reasons.

Simply, no. I'm of Bangladeshi origin (was actually born there but grew up here) and I hope to see patients of all ethnic backgrounds when I'm practicing. I shadowed an American (white) dentists and he seemed to get a good mix of Latin American, African American, Asian and white patients. Yes, there was a larger white patient population, but that was because it was in MN and there isn't a whole crap ton of diversity over there ;). I also shadowed a Hispanic Pediatric dentist who had patients of all sorts similar to the American (white) dentist. Yes, your ethnic background may help you get some patients of that same background but will by no means limit you to that ethnic background.

And @redhotchiligochu there are a lot of Asian students here at Penn (Me included :)) They are indefinitely academically capable, but sometimes loack the social aspect... Which could end up being dentrimental to their future careers. Not to say they are a will-not-talk-to-anyone type, but are not necessarily outgoing like a dentist probably should be to some extent. What good is a 27 DAT and a 4.2 GPA if you are not social at all...? :shrug:

[EDIT]: Made things flow. Corrected grammar.

-Fyz
I agree frankly. I'd say a good majority excel academically but don't have the social skills or cojones necessary to network with other people. Not trying to turn this into a race issue but think about why only 2-3% of the Fortune 500 CEO's are Asian American, when Asians make up only 5% of the US population. Sure, racism and cronyism of "old white men" do play a role, and I'm not trying to be an apologist or s*** on my own race, but there's a reason why a lot of Asian applicants go for dental and med school--to avoid that glass ceiling inherent in a lot of corporations. Sure, you can "try hard" but being a salaried employee and devoting 60-80 hrs/wk will not guarantee you being a CEO.

A lot of dental school administrators and adcoms (usually OWM) do see "communication barrier" and "confidence" issue inherent in the stereotypical Asian, which is why most of us have to have higher average GPA's and DAT's to compensate for our lack of assertiveness in our PS and interviews.

Personally, I've had lower than average GPA and DAT but I sure as hell know that I've communicated my thoughts and passions assertively enough that I've gotten more interviews than expected. Even the dentist that I worked for was shocked that I "talked my way" into dental school. Such is the stereotype of how others perceive Asians to be.

Sure there may be "good" stereotypes to being Asian, and Asian friends of the non-Asian lurkers reading this post will not know about this or be in complete denial/ignorance, but we DO have it tougher when it comes to things out side of academics: less second dates (for men), sexual harassment (for women), "less endowed," no affirmative action, perception that we have "ninja" powers like Jackie Chan, not confident or socially awkward, etc.

Thankfully, I grew up in a household where I was empowered to be happy to be who I am and not let the stereotypes perpetuated by ignorant people regarding career choice, cronyism, and even for my taste in cars and women to influence who I am as a person.

TLDR: Asians aren't given enough credit for pursing dental school in their own right and are perceived by others for "doing as our parents wish" to preserve this "honor your elder" crap.

(let the flaming of redhotchiligochu begin)

Reactions: 2 users
As long as you have a D.D.S or a D.M.D and have a good personality, I wouldn't care who I have as a dentist.

Last edited:
I agree frankly. I'd say a good majority excel academically but don't have the social skills or cojones necessary to network with other people. Not trying to turn this into a race issue but think about why only 2-3% of the Fortune 500 CEO's are Asian American, when Asians make up only 5% of the US population. Sure, racism and cronyism of "old white men" do play a role, and I'm not trying to be an apologist or s*** on my own race, but there's a reason why a lot of Asian applicants go for dental and med school--to avoid that glass ceiling inherent in a lot of corporations. Sure, you can "try hard" but being a salaried employee and devoting 60-80 hrs/wk will not guarantee you being a CEO.

A lot of dental school administrators and adcoms (usually OWM) do see "communication barrier" and "confidence" issue inherent in the stereotypical Asian, which is why most of us have to have higher average GPA's and DAT's to compensate for our lack of assertiveness in our PS and interviews.

Personally, I've had lower than average GPA and DAT but I sure as hell know that I've communicated my thoughts and passions assertively enough that I've gotten more interviews than expected. Even the dentist that I worked for was shocked that I "talked my way" into dental school. Such is the stereotype of how others perceive Asians to be.

Sure there may be "good" stereotypes to being Asian, and Asian friends of the non-Asian lurkers reading this post will not know about this or be in complete denial/ignorance, but we DO have it tougher when it comes to things out side of academics: less second dates (for men), sexual harassment (for women), "less endowed," no affirmative action, perception that we have "ninja" powers like Jackie Chan, not confident or socially awkward, etc.

Thankfully, I grew up in a household where I was empowered to be happy to be who I am and not let the stereotypes perpetuated by ignorant people regarding career choice, cronyism, and even for my taste in cars and women to influence who I am as a person.

TLDR: Asians aren't given enough credit for pursing dental school in their own right and are perceived by others for "doing as our parents wish" to preserve this "honor your elder" crap.

I'm very sorry if I offended you in my post... I was just saying that SOME of the Asian students at Penn have lackluster interpersonal skills... One of my good! Asian, friends is ranked #2 or #3 does not lack, at all, any type of interpersonal skills and can speak with me fluently like any other. He is very social!

Because I look very similar to Indians, I am always perceived as being smart and intelligent (and probably has an accent). But when people see me as a Muslim (which I am) there is a plethora of unwanted, bad stereotypes which come with it.

Stereotypes are innate in human nature. We have to accept it, but then try to defy it and make change in hopes of somehow depleting that stereotype.

-Fyz

I'm very sorry if I offended you in my post... I was just saying that SOME of the Asian students at Penn have lackluster interpersonal skills... One of my good! Asian, friends is ranked #2 or #3 does not lack, at all, any type of interpersonal skills and can speak with me fluently like any other. He is very social!

Because I look very similar to Indians, I am always perceived as being smart and intelligent (and probably has an accent). But when people see me as a Muslim (which I am) there is a plethora of unwanted, bad stereotypes which come with it.

Stereotypes are innate in human nature. We have to accept it, but then try to defy it and make change in hopes of somehow depleting that stereotype.

-Fyz

I agree! stereotypes are stereotypes not because media pushed it to be so, but the opposite: common patterns and trends that media picked up on. Some of my asian friends who are academically outstanding DO tend to struggle with interpersonal social skills. I guess we can't have it all right? :p

It's nice to know that people aren't as racist as I was thought (koreans are possibly one of the most racist nations in the world - me, a korean guy). It's just that when I was shadowing, I noticed that USUALLY, patients reflected the ethnicity of their dentist. I guess I should've been more observant...I guess it's time to observe different dentists?

Thanks for your inputs guys!

Members don't see this ad :)

I wanted to add that I said that many follow their parent's wish because I have seen it first hand from my own mother on my siblings (I'm not close with her) and from my other family members of other Asian descent.
I was also not raised in this way. I agree many of us do chose to do dentistry on our own and it isn't recognized.

I'd argue that many asians pursue med for respect and stability, not to avoid glass ceilings. The one's that go into business usually aren't among the "smart" ones. Of the asians I know, the academically successful ones go into compsci, med, chem E, and EE. Yea other ethnicities may make up more of the fortune 500, or asians are less represented in that list, but the odds of doing so for any race is low. And most asians I know would prefer a 150k-300k+ job that's guaranteed if they study with a bit of effort over business, where a select few among any race make it big (1 million plus) and a majority are not doing as well as the above career paths I listed.

Disclaimer: not asian but come from a place with a high % of asians and am good friends with many.

I agree! stereotypes are stereotypes not because media pushed it to be so, but the opposite: common patterns and trends that media picked up on. Some of my asian friends who are academically outstanding DO tend to struggle with interpersonal social skills. I guess we can't have it all right? :p
The asians I know in some of the top med schools or working at google or interning at facebook do in fact have good interpersonal skills. Don't think you should be generalizing your own race, friend. It's sad you see a person doing well and struggling interpersonally as fitting a stereotype vs looking at them as individuals. World would be a better place if in the above scenario, people said "Jim's smart but lacks interpersonal skills" instead of "jim is smart but lacks interpersonal skills I guess stereotypes are true". Some people I know of other ethnicities are smart without interpersonal skills, but I don't say "oh yea they definitely fit the stereotype". Because as soon as you start believing asian stereotypes, you likely will believe negative stereotypes of any race instead of looking at people as individuals.

Not to go SJW or anything, but college has made me a lot less accepting of racism or stereotyping in any form.

-Fyz
Don't think you need to try to change yourself because others are stereotyping you. Just be yourself- if someone's being racist or looking at you as a race instead of an individual, that's their problem not yours. My black friend used to say his parents would tell him to be good so that other races won't look down on black people, but that's BS. He's responsible for himself as an individual, not depleting a stereotype made by ignorant people. You're Fyz, not a representation of an entire race of people, filled with individuals of different personalities, interests, and goals.

I wanted to add that I said that many follow their parent's wish because I have seen it first hand from my own mother on my siblings (I'm not close with her) and from my other family members of other Asian descent.
I was also not raised in this way. I agree many of us do chose to do dentistry on our own and it isn't recognized.

THANK YOU. This is something a lot of people don't realize, and yes I went on a tangent but long story short, the world would be in a much better place if people judged others based on the individual and NOT the race!

Don't think you need to try to change yourself because others are stereotyping you. Just be yourself- if someone's being racist or looking at you as a race instead of an individual, that's their problem not yours. My black friend used to say his parents would tell him to be good so that other races won't look down on black people, but that's BS. He's responsible for himself as an individual, not depleting a stereotype made by ignorant people. You're Fyz, not a representation of an entire race of people, filled with individuals of different personalities, interests, and goals.

In my post, what I meant to imply was to be yourself and yet simultaneously deplete a stereotype. Stereotypes have been a burden on my life ever since 9/11. I remember distinctly the day it happened... I was immediately bombarded with a plethora of racist comments, racist bullying and full separation from the others along with all the rest of my Muslim friends. Yet to this day, I feel the radiant racism against Muslims. Whether you say TSA or Train Security or even in the streets. I cannot count how many times I've gotten dirty looks from some ignorant people in the streets. In fact, one time a cashier at a small convenience store refused to offer me service due to my color! It is outrageous!! I definitely don't want my kids, my grandkids or any other Muslim boy, girl, mother, father, student, you name it, to deal with these burdens and the racism felt through this country. I pray everyday that God helps us. I pray every single day that my mom, who wears a hijjab, doesn't have anything adverse happen. I pray every day that my future niece can live in a racist-free, stereotype-free environment which I had todeal with. I pray that every single Muslim person who ever walks through TSA gets treated the same as any other white, American person walking through TSA... I pray... [EDIT]: And for that reason, I said in my original post to defy those stereotypes and deplete those stereotypes, not by changing yourself, but by being yourself in hopes of a brighter world for you and all others around the world [END EDIT]

This doesn't only apply to Muslims. This applies to African Americans being labeled as violent and many more stereotypes which are a burden to people all around

But, yes, what you said is also very tru. We define ourselves, not a stereotype!

Hope you understand my perspective...

-Fyz

In my post, what I meant to imply was to be yourself and yet simultaneously deplete a stereotype. Stereotypes have been a burden on my life ever since 9/11. I remember distinctly the day it happened... I was immediately bombarded with a plethora of racist comments, racist bullying and full separation from the others along with all the rest of my Muslim friends. Yet to this day, I feel the radiant racism against Muslims. Whether you say TSA or Train Security or even in the streets. I cannot count how many times I've gotten dirty looks from some ignorant people in the streets. In fact, one time a cashier at a small convenience store refused to offer me service due to my color! It is outrageous!! I definitely don't want my kids, my grandkids or any other Muslim boy, girl, mother, father, student, you name it, to deal with these burdens and the racism felt through this country. I pray everyday that God helps us. I pray every single day that my mom, who wears a hijjab, doesn't have anything adverse happen. I pray every day that my future niece can live in a racist-free, stereotype-free environment which I had todeal with. I pray that every single Muslim person who ever walks through TSA gets treated the same as any other white, American person walking through TSA... I pray... [EDIT]: And for that reason, I said in my original post to defy those stereotypes and deplete those stereotypes, not by changing yourself, but by being yourself in hopes of a brighter world for you and all others around the world [END EDIT]

This doesn't only apply to Muslims. This applies to African Americans being labeled as violent and many more stereotypes which are a burden to people all around

But, yes, what you said is also very tru. We define ourselves, not a stereotype!

-Fyz
True you're right, I understand. If only everyone was seen without color, to where if a person of any ethnicity did something wrong, they would be called out as an individual. Nowadays, a great number of people still see a person of X race do something wrong and think "man why is X race so messed up" instead of "why is alfred being so messed up". Oh well, little steps

THANK YOU. This is something a lot of people don't realize, and yes I went on a tangent but long story short, the world would be in a much better place if people judged others based on the individual and NOT the race!
One step you can take is just when people are making racist jokes you can call them out or just not laugh at the least. I've even seen a dentist say something racist and I later called their office and said that's not cool.

-Fyz

Sorry if my post got too off-topic... I may have gotten a little carried away...

-Fyz

I believe that dentists in a sense do attract patients of their own kind because those people feel more comfortable with them. This doesn't mean that they won't attract other races, but they will get more of their race than another dentist who isn't the same race as them. This doesn't only happen in dentistry but also in just everyday businesses. Look at your friend group. We are all naturally more likely to become friends with/ surround ourselves with those that look more like us and share our same values which people from our ethnicity do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I believe that dentists in a sense do attract patients of their own kind because those people feel more comfortable with them. This doesn't mean that they won't attract other races, but they will get more of their race than another dentist who isn't the same race as them. This doesn't only happen in dentistry but also in just everyday businesses. Look at your friend group. We are all naturally more likely to become friends with/ surround ourselves with those that look more like us and share our same values which people from our ethnicity do.

I think people tend to gravitate towards others with similar backgrounds and personalities. I have basically no friends from my ethnic background, we just don't have that much in common most of the time. I'm sure you'll get patients of all types, no matter your race, but your ability to connect with them during the initial visit determines if they will return, which then determines the ethnic makeup of your practice.

I think people tend to gravitate towards others with similar backgrounds and personalities. I have basically no friends from my ethnic background, we just don't have that much in common most of the time. I'm sure you'll get patients of all types, no matter your race, but your ability to connect with them during the initial visit determines if they will return, which then determines the ethnic makeup of your practice.

Similar to what I believe except that I also think that for the majority of people that do connect more with their ethnicity, they'll end up retaining their ethnic people a lot more due to the connection( you speak of) that'll more easily be forged.

The one thing that you truly realize as a dentist, is that you see day in and day out that on the inside, we're all REALLY, REALLY similar, and are affected by the same processes regardless of what we look like on the outside. And over time, one tends to realize that it's what's on the inside that is way more important that what's on the outside. If people, whether in the profession or patients want to make it more about what's on the outside, well then maybe they should rethink what's really important........

Reactions: 4 users
So I think the message I'm getting is that it COULD impact me professionally, but I will still win over a diverse array of patients as long as I'm a capable dentist. Also that I shouldn't let it bother me if does bring down my business because that is their problem, not mine, and that it'll usually affect me for the better, if at all.

I hope this is what you guys were trying to say because it's what I got.

Well, thanks for all the input you guys! In hindsight, this message could've gotten pretty messy. I'm glad that everyone was honest in a civil manner

That awkward moment when a majority of your friends aren't the same race as you...lol

That awkward moment when a majority of your friends aren't the same race as you...lol

Hey everyone doesn't perfectly fit the mild. It's not awkward. Haha I'm split 50/50 with most of my friends being my ethnicity because I grew up with them and my friends from college are all different races! Haha

"communication barrier", less second dates (for men), "less endowed," no affirmative action, perception that we have "ninja" powers like Jackie Chan, not confident or socially awkward, etc., "doing as our parents wish"

Dang haha I feel like I portray about 90% of what you said. Still, I wouldn't let that stop me from living my life lol. I hold myself to a standard of care, and patients that don't like me can either choose to tolerate me or can leave. And no amount of convincing will suffice once their mind is set, so why bother.

Dang haha I feel like I portray about 90% of what you said. Still, I wouldn't let that stop me from living my life lol. I hold myself to a standard of care, and patients that don't like me can either choose to tolerate me or can leave. And no amount of convincing will suffice once their mind is set, so why bother.
lol, I don't want to go off on a tangent so I will say this: I am glad to hear that race pretty much doesn't matter when it comes to actually practicing dentistry. As for the consequences of Asian stereotypes outside of dentistry for those who happen to differ from the aforementioned stereotypes, well, that's a different story that I won't discuss on SDN.

-Fyz
Considering the amount of terror acts all over the world, present treatment of muslims is just perfect

We are all professionals here, or striving to become one.

With that said, behave as such. SDN does NOT tolerate comments that promote racism, nor marginalize any particular group.

Reactions: 8 users
Considering the amount of terror acts all over the world, present treatment of muslims is just perfect

We are all professionals here, or striving to become one.

With that said, behave as such. SDN does NOT tolerate comments that promote racism, nor marginalize any particular group.

I hate to stay quiet on this issue - All Muslims are NOT terrorists... Thank you @schmoob

Once again, I am very sorry for my very off-topic religious oriented post... I will refrain from doing so in the future...

-Fyz

Sure, there are a lot of Korean pre-dents out there. I don't know why you are so concerned about the number of Korean pre-dents. You will attract all sorts of patients at first, but ones who like your personality will stay.

Tip: You don't have to be well versed in your parent's primary language. Getting your point across will be sufficient. As a Chinese American, I'm not fluent in any dialect but I can keep small talk in three dialects. In addition, I have taken 7 years of Spanish and picked up bits of informal Japanese (from watching anime) and bits of Korean (from watching Korean Soap Dramas). As long as you put yourself out there and apply your knowledge, you will have a diverse patient pool to treat.

Sure, there are a lot of Korean pre-dents out there. I don't know why you are so concerned about the number of Korean pre-dents. You will attract all sorts of patients at first, but ones who like your personality will stay.

Tip: You don't have to be well versed in your parent's primary language. Getting your point across will be sufficient. As a Chinese American, I'm not fluent in any dialect but I can keep small talk in three dialects. In addition, I have taken 7 years of Spanish and picked up bits of informal Japanese (from watching anime) and bits of Korean (from watching Korean Soap Dramas). As long as you put yourself out there and apply your knowledge, you will have a diverse patient pool to treat.
We were originally concerned by non-Koreans' negative perception of Koreans affecting how we practice and retain patients, since like several people said before, there are "too many of us."

But now I (and many users and lurkers) will see that, no, thankfully race doesn't matter, at least in DENTISTRY.

Many Koreans do not give it a try to fit in with the rest of American society.
You should be fine if you do not exclusively see Korean patients

Once again, I am very sorry for my very off-topic religious oriented post... I will refrain from doing so in the future...

-Fyz
No worries! Always a pleasure reading your comments on my threads :)

I'm glad to hear that. Again, I wasn't trying to discriminate or offend anyone. I was just genuinely curious due to the patterns I THOUGHT i was seeing in my shadowing experiences in terms of race. I take the dental field very seriously, and I am very interested in the field beyond the scope of "can I get accepted into D school".

Thanks for your input!

Many Koreans do not give it a try to fit in with the rest of American society.
You should be fine if you do not exclusively see Korean patients

Exactly this. This is the exact problem that I was referring to. There's people like me who's close to 100% Americanized and I happen to socialize with people from all backgrounds (in fact, dare I say this, I have more non-Korean friends than Korean friends and I actually prefer that), but because of the above perception you mentioned, it makes it harder for people like me to overcome that initial judgement.

The dentist I work for sees literally 99% Korean patients, which make sense, because he's said quite some ignorant things that pretty much sums up the reasons why he only attracts foreign Korean patients.

I hate to stay quiet on this issue - All Muslims are NOT terrorists... Thank you @schmoob
You always run to complain instead of normal conversation?
You actually misunderstood what I said just because YOU are so negative.
Muslims in this country are treated fairly and normally with just minor "dirty looks", because people are just afraid or don't like your treatment of women

SDN does NOT endorse the marginalization of any ethnic, religious, or racial group.
Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.