Rabies Titer Inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorldClassNeurosurgeon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this is probably a stupid question but last year I got a 3 round rabies vaccine. I am not sure my titer but I know first years need true vaccines. My question is:

It's been a year as long as my titer is high am I safe? I've been working with a lot wildlife & rabid cats that have probably been licking thenselves. Am I still protected? I am sure Im fine but I havent gotten my booster so I thought id ask before I enter my first year DVM

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are starting at a vet school, they will make you get your titers run - probably once as you start and once again before you start clinics. You are probably still protected, but they'll make you do it anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe the general rule is to get your rabies titers checked every two years. That being said, your school will almost definitely require recent documentation. I had the series done a while back, but still needed a new evaluation.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is probably a stupid question but last year I got a 3 round rabies vaccine. I am not sure my titer but I know first years need true vaccines. My question is:

It's been a year as long as my titer is high am I safe? I've been working with a lot wildlife & rabid cats that have probably been licking thenselves. Am I still protected? I am sure Im fine but I havent gotten my booster so I thought id ask before I enter my first year DVM

Thanks!

Just ask your vet school what they want. I was vaccinated two or three years before school, and my school didn't really care until third year - at that point they wanted us all vaccinated prior to the clinical year, or titer/RFFIT tested if we had been previously vaccinated.

No titer level means you are "safe," and nothing can guarantee you are safe. It's actually important to understand that, because you need to realize that just being vaccinated (or even having a recent high titer level) isn't some sort of magic shield that means you can willy nilly expose yourself to a pathogen, no matter how good the vaccine is (and the rabies vaccine is really good).

You can't assume you are still protected. I've talked to some people who routinely need re-vaccination because their titer levels drop, and I've talked to some people who were vaccinated more than a decade ago and their titer levels remain high. I don't understand the point about working with wildlife. That doesn't impact anything with regard to your titer levels.

Here's a good summation from the AVMA:
"The ACIP recommends titers on a schedule of every two years to assess protective immunity, with a single-injection booster vaccination recommended if the titer level is below 1:5 serum dilution (0.1-0.2 IU/mL). The World Health Organization’s (WHO) rabies titer cutoff is higher; WHO recommends that a single booster rabies vaccination be given when the titer drops below 0.5 IU/mL by the RFFIT. That said, there is no established “protective titer,” and post-exposure prophylaxis is still necessary after known exposure.

According to the Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, titer levels or IU/mL values equal to or above 0.5 IU/mL (~1:50), provide evidence of a robust immune response after rabies vaccination. Although the presence of antibodies after vaccination is important, a specific level above 0.5 IU/mL does not give complete assurance of protection against the disease in every individual because there are other immunological factors involved in the protection from rabies infection. However, an overview of rabies challenge studies indicates rabies virus neutralizing antibody (RVNA) levels equal to or above 0.5 IU/mL provides at least equal assurance of protection as does current vaccination status."

This is from the CDC. Note their emphasis that no level guarantees protection (i.e. means you are 'safe'):
"A rabies antibody titer is essentially an estimation of an immune response against rabies virus (either through exposure or vaccination). The RFFIT is one method which provides a laboratory measurement of the ability of an individual human or animal serum sample to neutralize rabies virus.

There is no “protective” titer against rabies virus. In animal studies, survival against rabies virus infection is often more likely to occur the higher an animal’s titer at time of infection, but not a definite indicator of survival. For example in one study of orally vaccinated raccoons 39% of animals with no detectable titer at infection (<0.05 IU/mL) survived, compared to 90% of animals with a titer between 0.05-0.49 and 100% of animals with a titer >0.5 IU/mL. Mounting a rapid antibody response (referred to as an anamnestic response) is often a better indicator of surviving exposure which is one reason additional doses of vaccine are recommended after an exposure, to ensure a rapid antibody response, even if a person has been previously vaccinated."

Thank you so much, so the best thing you can do is take the antibody test every two years, get a booster if needed & get help if I am known to be exposed just to be safe. It seems that survival is based on if you can keep up with it and make sure you take action if exposed. That's understandable. Thank you to everyone!

Thank you so much, so the best thing you can do is take the antibody test every two years, get a booster if needed & get help if I am known to be exposed just to be safe. It seems that survival is based on if you can keep up with it and make sure you take action if exposed. That's understandable. Thank you to everyone!

That's correct. The most significant difference between a vaccinated and unvaccinated person when exposure occurs is that (as a super generalized rule, with exceptions) an MD will give one dose of vaccine to the previously vaccinated person to help stimulate an immediate response, whereas the unvaccinated person will receive a full course of vaccines plus HRIG (Human Rabies Immunoglobulin). Since the Ig is ideally given as close to the exposure site as possible, that can be very uncomfortable. You avoid that by being previously vaccinated.

Right, but shouldn't the vaccination keep your antibody count high in case your exposed via bite or salvia & you didnt know the exposure had rabies? I mean I thought the point of protection would be that if I got the virus without post exposure meds id be able to clear it from my body without having pep.

It's been suggested to me by other vets (I'm someone who works almost exclusively with wildlife/zoo animals as of now) that I have my titer checked more frequently than every two years due to the fact that my odds of coming in contact with a rabid animal are higher. If this is the same situation for you, you may want to consider that.

Which reminds me that I'm about 3 years out from my vaccination series and should probably check my titer. For some reason, I can't get my GP to do it.

Right, but shouldn't the vaccination keep your antibody count high in case your exposed via bite or salvia & you didnt know the exposure had rabies? I mean I thought the point of protection would be that if I got the virus without post exposure meds id be able to clear it from my body without having pep.

Remember, the whole point is that there is no "safe" level. It's all "degrees of safety."

So yes, in theory, the vaccination should keep your Ab count high and you hopefully would do fine. That's one of the two reasons higher-risk people get pre-exposure prophy; because there is a higher risk they will get exposed unknowingly.

But giving you the booster after exposure increases the safety margin by inducing the anamnestic response. And since rabies is a pretty crappy disease to contract that's more or less 100% fatal (generalizing - I'm familiar with the other strains that have differing pathogenicity, the Milwaukee protocol, that there are recorded survivors, etc., so no nitpicking needed - it's basically always fatal once clinical in the U.S. for the purposes of this discussion), you really want to make your safety margin as absolutely high as possible. Thus, you get a booster.

The positive side is that you don't need the HRIB and you don't need the full vaccine series.

It's been suggested to me by other vets (I'm someone who works almost exclusively with wildlife/zoo animals as of now) that I have my titer checked more frequently than every two years due to the fact that my odds of coming in contact with a rabid animal are higher. If this is the same situation for you, you may want to consider that.

Which reminds me that I'm about 3 years out from my vaccination series and should probably check my titer. For some reason, I can't get my GP to do it.

I've never heard that, but I no longer do wildlife so I'm out of the loop. (But when I did, they still only required every 2 years. Maybe updated recommendations are pushing that more frequently?)

Check out your state VMA's yearly convention if you have one - rabies titers are available at many of them. Dunno about your specific state.

Remember, the whole point is that there is no "safe" level. It's all "degrees of safety."

So yes, in theory, the vaccination should keep your Ab count high and you hopefully would do fine. That's one of the two reasons higher-risk people get pre-exposure prophy; because there is a higher risk they will get exposed unknowingly.

But giving you the booster after exposure increases the safety margin by inducing the anamnestic response. And since rabies is a pretty crappy disease to contract that's more or less 100% fatal (generalizing - I'm familiar with the other strains that have differing pathogenicity, the Milwaukee protocol, that there are recorded survivors, etc., so no nitpicking needed - it's basically always fatal once clinical in the U.S. for the purposes of this discussion), you really want to make your safety margin as absolutely high as possible. Thus, you get a booster.

The positive side is that you don't need the HRIB and you don't need the full vaccine series.

I've never heard that, but I no longer do wildlife so I'm out of the loop. (But when I did, they still only required every 2 years. Maybe updated recommendations are pushing that more frequently?)

Check out your state VMA's yearly convention if you have one - rabies titers are available at many of them. Dunno about your specific state.
I think it's more of a 'better safe than sorry' thing regarding wildlife but I've definitely heard two years universally. I'll check with my local VMA. If not with them, it will have to be with the university clinic which is another headache on it's own...

I think it's more of a 'better safe than sorry' thing regarding wildlife but I've definitely heard two years universally. I'll check with my local VMA. If not with them, it will have to be with the university clinic which is another headache on it's own...
When I toured the Kstate rabies lab, they said their employees get tigers q6mo because increased risk of exposure...

Just as a side note, if anyone has the same issue of finding a testing location, AVMA recommends KState or a private lab located in Atlanta (slightly cheaper than KState). Looks like you can send your serum out on your own.

Just as a side note, if anyone has the same issue of finding a testing location, AVMA recommends KState or a private lab located in Atlanta (slightly cheaper than KState). Looks like you can send your serum out on your own.

Aren't those the only two places that do the titer testing in the U.S. anyway? I thought all tests got sent to them, regardless of who pulled the blood.

(I could super easily be wrong .... I'm a bad vet and haven't had my titer checked in 4 years.)

Aren't those the only two places that do the titer testing in the U.S. anyway? I thought all tests got sent to them, regardless of who pulled the blood.

(I could super easily be wrong .... I'm a bad vet and haven't had my titer checked in 4 years.)
No idea actually, I guess I just didn't realize you could do it without a doctor's lab requisition. Now to get my blood drawn...

If not with them, it will have to be with the university clinic which is another headache on it's own...

Don't die.

the Milwaukee protocol, that there are recorded survivors, etc.,

I honestly wouldn't want to be some of the Milwaukee protocol survivors. If I remember correctly, most weren't as successful as the little girl.

I honestly wouldn't want to be some of the Milwaukee protocol survivors. If I remember correctly, most weren't as successful as the little girl.

You 'n me both.

Most still aren't successful - the number treated is very small, but if I recall it's about a 10-15% survival rate with that protocol, and they usually have moderate residual neurologic signs? And even then, I think there is quite a bit of disagreement about whether the treatment itself is really responsible (for survival), or whether a weak/different strain of rabies is involved, or whether those survivors have a better immune response, or some combination of those things.

I dunno. I read a fair bit about it back in school just because I think it's a super interesting virus, but I've forgotten a lot of the details.