Quoted: Residency issues and future licensing/credentialing

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was previously in a residency program, in a different specialty prior to my current residency program. I was placed on probation for performance issues and for professionalism issues. Several months later, I subsequently had my contract non-renewed and I was not permitted to complete the rest of the academic year, of which I completed seven. It was explained to me that they, the prior program, allowed me to "resign". My former program director, however, did write me a LOR that permitted me to obtain a new residency in a different specialty. I am currently in my last year of training and am in the process of a job search. I have encountered no known issues during this second residency experience; in addition, I also have a training permit currently in the state in which my training is occuring.
My questions relate to the medical credentialing and licensure aspects. I do realize that I have to be candid during the process of applying for credentials and licensure.
How much scrutiny will I endure during this process; I.e is the bar set higher for attending credentialing/licensure compared to resident physician credentialing/licensure?
What is the likelyhood that credentials or medical licensure will be denied?
If licensed, will any stipulations or restrictions be attached?
Would I be better served to have an attorney specializing in medical licensing/credentialing issues represent me to ensure that this process goes as smoothly and quickly as possible?

It certainly can't hurt to discuss this with an attorney, although since you changed fields, I suspect you'll not have major problems. We'll see what aPD and others say.

Members don't see this ad.

Expect that your licensing and credentialling will take longer than usual. You'll be required to submit an explanation of the problem in your application. They will then contact the original program and get their input. It's critical that the two stories line up. Unless your problem was particularly egregious, it shouldn;t be a big issue. I don't see much value to getting a lawyer involved now, since there isn't much they can do.

If the professionalism issue involved substances, then that will trigger some sort of ongoing monitoring.