Quoted: Rescinding acceptance SMP

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, recently I obtained an acceptance to school X, for a Special Master's Program. Today I received news that they were considering rescinding my application due to a Dean's Disciplinary hearing from spring 2010, which resulting in "Conditional Probation" for two weeks. This was disclosed and explained directly on the application.

Basically, I had signed in a guest who was visiting to stay the night. I went out to go eat and I got a call from my RA, who told me to come back to my room. My friend had been told to leave because he doesn't live there and I was greeted by Public Safety (campus police) who told me to explain why my room smelled like marijuana. Of course, I had no idea what was going on and during my judicial hearing I made it clear that I wasn't there. Conditional probation is basically a warning period where you can't get in trouble, otherwise you get real probation. I disclosed this because I wanted to be honest.

The reason why I know this incident is why they might rescind my acceptance is because I have a family member with ties to the head of the admissions committee. Will I have a chance to get in anywhere? Do medical schools and professional programs really have such high standards as block out people who make mistakes freshman year?

If the story you have told is complete and accurate, then it is an odd one. I do not understand why they would have changed their mind after the original acceptance if it was discussed in the application.

This would not be generalizable to other admissions processes and would not indicate a lack of ability to get into any other program.

Members don't see this ad.

I would add that if they accepted you and this was all in your application, then they may not be able to legally recind your application. Only if they discovered something you had omitted, or if new details have come to light. That said, I am not a lawyer.

Strongly suggest OP contact school to find out why they did what they did.

If the story you have told is complete and accurate, then it is an odd one. I do not understand why they would have changed their mind after the original acceptance if it was discussed in the application.

This would not be generalizable to other admissions processes and would not indicate a lack of ability to get into any other program.