Quoted: Mental health records - government access for predoctoral student

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question I would like to ask anonymously. I will be beginning a predoctoral psychology internship this summer with a government agency. I have been asked to disclose whether I have sought counseling/mental health treatment within the past 7 years (if yes, they want names of providers) and I do not feel comfortable allowing them free reign over my records. I was wondering if anyone has more information about the parameters of the information they may be requesting, or of the consequences of simply checking off "no"? I am not concerned about my diagnosis per se (anxiety, nothing serious), but do not want to provide access to my personal history. Is there a way for them to find out that I have in fact sought counseling? An employee in this agency advised me to just say no to the question but I would like to be sure.

I do not know the answer to this from a legal perspective. My personal perspective, which others might disagree with is that you should answer it honestly so that YOU are not always concerned about what might be learned in some type of investigation. However, I do appreciate that this is none of their business and that others would suggest a different approach.

Members don't see this ad.

If the agency you are speaking of is the military the best advise is to tell them. If the military finds out after the fact that you have a medical condition that you didn't disclose they can enforce some rather draconian measures. They frown on lying on the entrance physical or by omission.

I have a question I would like to ask anonymously. I will be beginning a predoctoral psychology internship this summer with a government agency. I have been asked to disclose whether I have sought counseling/mental health treatment within the past 7 years (if yes, they want names of providers) and I do not feel comfortable allowing them free reign over my records. I was wondering if anyone has more information about the parameters of the information they may be requesting, or of the consequences of simply checking off "no"? I am not concerned about my diagnosis per se (anxiety, nothing serious), but do not want to provide access to my personal history. Is there a way for them to find out that I have in fact sought counseling? An employee in this agency advised me to just say no to the question but I would like to be sure.

If you are considering checking, "no," check on whether or not that government agency has an affiliation with where ever it was that you got counseling. IMO, their information seems limited to businesses that they are currently affiliated with, were recently affiliated with, become affiliated with in the future, and potentially people who leak information. If you saw a self-employed psychologist who runs a one-person business unaffiliated with any hospital or larger entity, you are probably safe.

A comment on this situation: I find it sad that so many psychology students and pre-meds (possibly medical students too) feel deterred from getting help or counseling just because they don't want it on their record. I know a psychology graduate student who lost her father and significant other (to death) in the same year and wouldn't get counseling. Maybe there is a good reason for this; maybe not. It's just sad.

Edit: Another thought is that government agencies are usually pretty large, large enough to anonymously call and ask your question directly. The reason the staff member said to answer, "no," might have had to do with how the question is worded (i.e. Some questions are worded ambiguously enough that answers depend upon intentional or unintentional interpretation of the question). Along the same lines: http://news.clearancejobs.com/2010/03/19/mental-health-and-final-security-clearances/

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Another reason might be they are checking you for a security clearance. If you had to fill out an SF-86 or an eQIP form, then your best response is to enter the information honestly. They're not doing it to dig into your secrets, more to see how comfortable you are with who you are and are not susceptible to blackmail. They'll also run a credit check on you, and any debts not disclosed will be treated the same as undisclosed psych treatments.

I had something similar come up when I started my residency. I had to go for an evaluation, and I disclosed my past psychiatric history. I explained it honestly, and all they asked for was a letter for the psychiatrist who had been treating me for the past decade saying that I am safe to enter a residency training program. It was no big deal. Now I know some of my fellow residents pretty well. Lots of them have psychiatric diagnoses, and they even fill their psych meds at the hospital pharmacy. Obviously, if there are things like sucicide attempts or involuntary admissions, these are huge red flags that will get more scrutiny, but treatment for anxiety does not disqualify you from a job as a physician. Seriously, treatment for a psychiatric indication, and especially something like COUNSELING, is not a career ender. Running the list in my head of the possible government organizations this could be, my guess is that we're talking about the same organization I am work for. They never asked for and got medical records, which are quite private to me. They just wanted a letter from the treating physician saying I'm not dangerous. No biggie. I wish you good things in the future.

Best to answer honestly. Indicating that you had counselling for anxiety or depression would likely be a non issue. This will come up repeatedly throughout your career - every licensing, credentialing and insurance plan participation application I have seen includes questions about past mental health.