Quoted: Disclosing history of mental health issues

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quoted for a user (sent to me via PM):

I have a confidential consult question.

I am a current medical student that had some mental health issues during my senior year of college. I graduated without problems from undergrad, and took 2 years off to work before attending medical school. I have not had any mental health issues since, and stopped taking medication 6 months after graduating undergrad (1.5 years prior to entering medical school).

My questions is this: will there ever be a time that I am required to disclose my mental health history to a state medical board or hospital? Specifically, I understand that the Georgia State Medical Board requires its applicants to document their mental health history over the past 7 years. If I end up matching at a Georgia school, does the residency training permit require me to disclose my mental health history in the past 7 years?

Additionally, the mental health professional at my undergraduate institution thought that I may have Bipolar II. I had no previous history of that disorder, nor any mental health symptoms after graduating from undergrad (nor do I now). I am concerned that her assessment of me during senior year of my undergrad will follow me professionally as a physician (through the licensing process, credentialing process at hospitals, etc). Is this the case?

Members don't see this ad.

My questions is this: will there ever be a time that I am required to disclose my mental health history to a state medical board or hospital? Specifically, I understand that the Georgia State Medical Board requires its applicants to document their mental health history over the past 7 years. If I end up matching at a Georgia school, does the residency training permit require me to disclose my mental health history in the past 7 years?

Additionally, the mental health professional at my undergraduate institution thought that I may have Bipolar II. I had no previous history of that disorder, nor any mental health symptoms after graduating from undergrad (nor do I now). I am concerned that her assessment of me during senior year of my undergrad will follow me professionally as a physician (through the licensing process, credentialing process at hospitals, etc). Is this the case?[/I]

I would advise you to disclose your mental health history if required. If there's doubt whether you should or not, err on the side of caution. If you'd prefer to, hire the services of an attorney that specializes in this area.

In my experience, there are quite a few physicians in practice that have "mental health" issues, mainly depression. I don't know what you've been dealing with (and it's none of my business, so you don't have to elaborate), but if it's stable enough not to require treatment, it's likely you'll be fine. You won't be an oddity being a medical student or physician with a mental health issue.

Specifically, I understand that the Georgia State Medical Board requires its applicants to document their mental health history over the past 7 years. If I end up matching at a Georgia school, does the residency training permit require me to disclose my mental health history in the past 7 years?

It's hard to give advice on this issue. You'll have to decide for yourself.

I'd be surprised to learn that a candidate is legally obligated to disclose any otherwise confidential medical info, including mental health info. Unless you were subject to some sort of involuntary psychiatric treatment or if your mental health issues led to some interaction with the criminal justice system (in both situations there would be some sort of available public record for medical boards, etc. to access), then I don't believe that you have any legal requirement to disclose.

I can imagine many ways that disclosure of your otherwise confidential mental health history could harm your efforts to get into med school, residency, or other employment. That's just my 2 cents.