Quitting pharmacy school for nursing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apples2Oranges

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently got accepted into the #1 pharm school in the US, but I'm still having doubts. When I got accepted, I was elated and thinking my life was set...until I realized the saturation for pharmacy. I enjoy pharmacy, but I don't love it enough to get into so much debt and struggle finding a job. Residency sounds like hell and a waste of another year. I know nursing may become saturated as well, but it's not as bad. I have shadowed nurses and work in research in a prenatal clinic. I'm really into women's health, so possibly thinking about midwifery or something in that area. I prefer hospital work over anything.

How do I tell my parents that I want to quit the field and pursue nursing? Is it a wise choice? I would love to have any input into this field. I regret so much not applying to it my sophomore year of college. But now if i quit pharmacy, I will try to do an accelerated nursing program. I'll be graduating with a bachelor's degree at 21. Is an RN degree at 22 still a good age? I have a 3.5 GPA.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I recently got accepted into the #1 pharm school in the US, but I'm still having doubts. When I got accepted, I was elated and thinking my life was set...until I realized the saturation for pharmacy. I enjoy pharmacy, but I don't love it enough to get into so much debt and struggle finding a job. Residency sounds like hell and a waste of another year. I know nursing may become saturated as well, but it's not as bad. I have shadowed nurses and work in research in a prenatal clinic. I'm really into women's health, so possibly thinking about midwifery or something in that area. I prefer hospital work over anything.

How do I tell my parents that I want to quit the field and pursue nursing? Is it a wise choice? I would love to have any input into this field. I regret so much not applying to it my sophomore year of college. But now if i quit pharmacy, I will try to do an accelerated nursing program. I'll be graduating with a bachelor's degree at 21. Is an RN degree at 22 still a good age? I have a 3.5 GPA.

Thanks!

You've got a big decision to make. I'm not an expert on pharmacy but I think nursing has so many options, so much that it's a wide open field.

With an RN degree, you can work in a hospital, clinic, OR, ER. School nurse, research, insurance. And that's just with the RN. Add in an MSN or an MBA or a NP degree and the world is limitless. You could be self-employed as an NP, teach with MSN, run the business side with an MBA.

Accelerated BSNs are great. It will get you out to your first job faster.

And don't worry about being 22 before you get your RN - many RN grads are much older and you don't need to compare yourself against others.

Hospitals and other employers and nursing schools want to perpetuate that notion of a nursing shortage, and would actually love it if nursing were saturated because the bigger the pool of applicants, the less that facilities have to compete for workers, which means they don't have to pay higher wages or provide better benefits to lure in RNs to work for them. And nursing schools are run by nursing advocates, who want as many nurses out there in society as they can get because that means nursing gets more powerful politically.

Nursing isn't saturated. I hear talk of saturation every few years. Then every few years I hear people talking about how there is a nursing shortage. There definitely are slow periods. But on the flipside, there are times like right now when they can't seem to hire enough staff, and they throw tons of money at nurses to get them to come in and work extra shifts, and folks are making $800+ for every extra shift. Its all cyclical, and it seems in nursing that the cycles of boom and bust are brief, with most of the time being spent in a state of good circumstances for nurses. I wouldn't be worried about finding a job. Everyone that graduated with me, without exception... even the idiots.... are currently working not only as nurses, but from what I can see from the ones I know on facebook, all of them are doing the kind of nursing that they want to do. Not everyone started out doing exactly what they wanted, but they all are in fact now in the departments that I remember them saying they wanted to be in. All of them.... even the idiots.

The bad news about the reason that nursing always seems to swing towards the shortage style times is that nursing can suck. Hospital nursing can be a cash cow for nurses, and it is typically the place where you get the best benefits and options for a schedule you'd like (if you are a person that wants to work 6 nights on 8 nights off, you can most likely do that... if you want 3 on 4 off, then you can find that instead). But hospitals are also the places where you can expect to work yourself to burnout, even if you are just working your 40 hours each week. And that's why you see nurses jumping around to different jobs and quitting. Before I went to RN school, I read a statistic that 1/3 of new grad nurses aren't working after their first year on the job. That seems a bit high, but back then I wasn't a nurse, so I couldn't say if it seemed to ring true. But it is hard, and often you are overworked. There are units where you are essentially a waiter. There can be a lot of frustration. It is a job where you are right there with sick people, and often there isn't enough of you to go around. A typical night on a med surg floor, you have sick people that you want to spend more time with, and instead you end up having a drug addict or their guest that is spending the night syphon all of your night by hitting the call bell and making ridiculous requests and acting like they are at a resort. Your other patients suffer in those situations so you can placate a fool. Or your boss gives you so much work that you know you can't do everything the way its supposed to be done, and then that same boss has a talk with you about something they think you did wrong because someone complained.

I know little about pharmacy except that on the totem pole of healthcare prestige, the pharmacist occupies a higher station than us lowly RN's. I've yet to see a pharmacist have to suffer fools like nurses have to (except, of course, when they have to suffer through us asking them the same questions for literally the 40th time, or some other terrible thing we put them through). I also have never seen a pharmacist do 6 bed changes in one night on a 400lb patient that keeps crapping the bed. I've never seen a pharmacist slip and fall on to urine/vomit/blood/liquid stool mixed together, or get hit in the face with spit, or kicked in the neck, or have a patient tell them they would like to rape them, or have family members of angry patients try to meet them in the parking lot. The list goes on. I've walked in on nurses hyperventilating in break rooms due to the pressure or the tragedy of the moment. I'm in the process of going to NP school so that in 3 years I hopefully can be out of that kind of environment. But even though I could find a job as an RN that didn't have those negative elements, I gravitate towards the places like that because I'm decent at it, and feel like I make a contribution. So that's my perspective on nursing. I don't work in women's health, or NICU, or labor and delivery, or a few of the other less gritty places where a lot of the female nurses seem to be rockstars that love their jobs (those places actually intimidate me, so I'm not knocking them when I say that). You could find your niche, and there are a lot of them. And with NP as an option, you can find yourself in a pretty sweet gig before you are even 25. It would be sweet to be a new NP at 23 and making$110,000 to start working dermatology 4 days a week. I wish I had used my time wisely in my 20s like that.

Pharmacy seems like a good job, but I personally have reservations from my perspective. It may betray my ignorance of what pharmacists do, but I feel like it is in industry just waiting to be subject to automation. When we have self driving cars and trucks on the horizon, a robot pharmacist isn't far off (if not a robot pharmacist, then an offsite pharmacist in India remotely operating the robot, with pharmacy techs stocking the meds). I'd also be bored in a pharmacy all day, and I would hate to go to 4 years of school to do that, along with the expense. I remember when places like Wal-Mart gave BMW's to pharmacists they recruited as a perk. I also remember later on when a pharmacist student working a charity event with me told me about how bleak the landscape was for jobs. But you probably know as much as I do.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I neglected to give a response to a big portion of what you are asking... how to tell your folks. They probably are going to think nursing is a huge step down from graduating from the #1 pharmacy school in the country because they probably imagine nurses to be doing the things that I described. However, the way you sell it to them is to emphasize the NP aspect. And truly, you should have NP as your goal if you are going to walk away from pharmacy. You also have medical school as an option, but if you aren't digging the investment of time and debt of pharmacy school, then you probably also won't be lured by the siren song of medicine. So just say "hey mom and dad... I want to do a one year accelerated BSN, then a two year NP degree, and have an earnings potential that I think could end up higher than I would as a pharmacist with less debt overall." You can also mention that its easier to get the government to reimburse you for your nursing education than pharmacy (I don't even know if pharmacy has a government program to help with that).

But yes, expect them to flip if you tell them you want to go be an RN, because most people only know what RNs do from their own experience, which often is them sitting in an ER as a patient feeling disappointed when a nurse is the first person they see instead of the physician.

You could tell them you don't want your job replaced by a robot or remote handler, or that you hate the idea of supervising people counting pills all day, or that you want to have a more dynamic work day, or you could use the debt angle. Chances are that your parents want only the best for you, and working in a nice safe white room all day and getting paid decently with good perks fits their vision for you nicely. They might also feel like the road to being an NP is a bit convoluted, and that you risk settling for being an RN. So the most helpful approach is to map out clearly your path from point A to Z so they know you mean business. And you really can plot a cheap and efficient pathway to becoming an NP. I would definitely make that the center of my presentation to them. If they just hear "nurse" instead of "pharmacist from the nations best school", they will think "garbage collector". They might respect you wanting to prescribe the pills rather than fill the prescription.

Pamac already gave you some great advice, but let me add that if you are absolutely certain you want to be a CNM or WHNP, then you can apply to a direct entry program. This is a program that provides you an accelerated RN and then guarantees you entry into their nurse practitioner program. That way you don't have to apply twice and you can make it clear to your parents that you are on your way to becoming an NP. These programs are somewhat controversial (mostly internet complaints by people who are not familiar with them), but this is what I did and I have absolutely no regrets. All of my classmates have been successful as well. Literally none of us had problems as direct entry NPs and all of us are employed (I live in a highly desirable urban area, if that matters to you at all). The vast majority of us worked as RNs during our NP program anyway, which is a great way to cut down on your student loans and makes you more competitive for a great first NP job. Financially... I couldn't be more thrilled with my decision, as well.

The one caveat I'll add is that if you're passionate about intrapartum care, you might have to move or accept a lower salary as a new CNM. It's the one ARNP area I've seen that seems to be pretty saturated, at least in my area. I will say that my CNM friends have found it hard to find intrapartum jobs, most either had to settle for clinic (prenatal and postnatal care as well as GYN) or move to another area for an intrapartum job. Also, consider a dual WHNP/CNM program for the most flexibility, if possible, there are several out there. Good luck. I agree that the options in nursing are seemingly limitless, especially compared w/other jobs in healthcare.

Last edited:
Pamac already gave you some great advice, but let me add that if you are absolutely certain you want to be a CNM or WHNP, then you can apply to a direct entry program. This is a program that provides you an accelerated RN and then guarantees you entry into their nurse practitioner program. That way you don't have to apply twice and you can make it clear to your parents that you are on your way to becoming an NP. These programs are somewhat controversial (mostly internet complaints by people who are not familiar with them), but this is what I did and I have absolutely no regrets. All of my classmates have been successful as well. Literally none of us had problems as direct entry NPs and all of us are employed (I live in a highly desirable urban area, if that matters to you at all). The vast majority of us worked as RNs during our NP program anyway, which is a great way to cut down on your student loans and makes you more competitive for a great first NP job. Financially... I couldn't be more thrilled with my decision, as well.

The one caveat I'll add is that if you're passionate about intrapartum care, you might have to move or accept a lower salary as a new CNM. It's the one ARNP area I've seen that seems to be pretty saturated, at least in my area. I will say that my CNM friends have found it hard to find intrapartum jobs, most either had to settle for clinic (prenatal and postnatal care as well as GYN) or move to another area for an intrapartum job. Also, consider a dual WHNP/CNM program for the most flexibility, if possible, there are several out there. Good luck. I agree that the options in nursing are seemingly limitless, especially compared w/other jobs in healthcare.

Agree with all this.

Vanderbilt has a well-respected CNM direct entry program for non-BSN applicants.

Explain it pragmatically. Nursing is stable with extreme flexibility and high income potential.

Also you're going to school for yourself, not your parents. Don't forget that.

Many folks get tunnel vision when it comes to professional schools, which is a natural because of the effort and focus that goes into the application process, as well as the work it takes to get the prereqs hammered out. From a purely financial standpoint, people all across the spectrum have been using student loans unwisely for years...to the point where right now, it seems like a good deal to go into significant debt to attend a professional school where you have a fairly high, stable income level that is pretty much guaranteed after you graduate. That's because other majors are graduating with degrees that put them $80k in debt, and heading straight to work as baristas and clerks at Target. I even know nurses that racked up $75k or more just for their nursing school, and that have over $100,000 of debt when you factor in their other degrees that they got before they changed gears to go into nursing. Then, instead of working overtime or hitting the night shift to make mad cash, they settle in to day shift making significantly less per hour, or worse, they go work at a clinic, and pull in $55k-$65k.

Last year as an RN working a little bit of overtime (maybe 10 shifts or so) I grossed about $89k before my wife's income as a fellow medical professional was factored in. All of our school was paid for as we went, and I had quite a bit of my education reimbursed from my work because I worked full time as a nurse and also qualified for my facility to reimburse me. We went to cheap public schools for our educations. Instead of paying off a high debt from school, that check goes toward my house payment, and the rest is invested along with my wife's income that we don't touch at all. At the end of the day, who is better off... the pharmacist or PA that is making $110,000 but paying off $130,000 in loans... or me, who is making $89,000 with no interest accruing debt? And where I'm at, PA's and pharmacists start at around $85k for new PA's, and $90k for new pharmacists. For reference, my first year as an RN, with overtime, I made about $80k if we are comparing apples to apples wage wise for new workers. Granted, with experience PA's and pharmacist wages increase (hopefully), but so will mine, because I'm in NP school, and will graduate and start practicing. I already have job offers for when I get done.

So working 3 shifts a week, and then a few of my overtime-a-thons that I do a couple times a year when I want to pad things out, I feel pretty good about the work aspect of my life. Working 3 shifts a week means my work life doesn't intrude too much on the rest of my life. We self schedule, so I work the days that I want to, and that's nice. If I had to show up somewhere 5 days per week during the best part of the day, I think I'd go nuts.

My point in all of that is that if I had blinders on, and only wanted to be a pharmacist or PA at any cost, I would certainly be in the hole financially, not to mention missing out on quality time where I'm not at work (which to be honest is the best kind of time to me). I like my job as a nurse, so that's not dragging me down either.

I was super bummed not to get into PA school when I applied. But I was super happy to get into RN school at a community college a week later (that cost less than $10k) and not miss out on at least $170k income and have to pay quite a bit to relocate and attend PA school (which would have cost close to $90k just for tuition).

Look at the big picture financially. Getting in to school is a thrill, especially if its something you've worked hard towards, but it might not be the best thing for you. That is even more the case if you aren't sure you will like the job.

It’s frankly surprising how much money there is in nursing, especially if you're not in a state that pays terribly (like the South). I made >130k my first year as an NP w/pretty minimal OT… And my student loans are going to be paid off completely in about one more year. I can’t imagine being a PA with >100k in debt, no opportunities for working during school to pay down my loans, also limited opportunities for moving into management as well. Nursing has a ridiculous amount of breadth.

Reactions: 3 users
^ remind me what you do again... Psyche NP?

... Because that's what I'm studying, and love hearing about wages like that.

No joke about the opportunities in nursing. There are places that are the pits, but it's usually our own fault if we get stuck there.

Nursing is one field that really doesn't take a dim view of people moving in and out of jobs. It feels like the NBA sometimes with all the people moving to different "teams" all the time.

I found myself in a very similar situation last year, I was accepted to the U of Minnesota - Twin Cities and UW - Madison for pharmacy and made the decision not to attend after intensive research into the severity of saturation and the various chokeholds that industry and government have on pharmacy. I looked around at the other health professions and decided to pursue dentistry (was admitted despite switching from another health field), if you have any questions fell free to message me!

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

You can go any direction with nursing. Any. As a PMHNP, I encourage anyone to pursue a nursing career. Inbox me any questions.