This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted765155

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Just curious when all recently accepted students are planning on quitting their jobs. I constantly debate the point of trying to lessen my inevitable enormous sum of debt before medical school starts. I want to leave, travel, and enjoy my year, but I need the money. Feels bad

Thoughts?
I want to quit my final exams and pull consecutive 2.0 semesters before matriculation...

Reactions: 5 users
Just curious when all recently accepted students are planning on quitting their jobs. I constantly debate the point of trying to lessen my inevitable enormous sum of debt before medical school starts. I want to leave, travel, and enjoy my year, but I need the money. Feels bad

Thoughts?
Ideally I'll quit in early June and spend a little time traveling before I start school. I'm hoping to visit a bunch of national parks and camp :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school doesn't start orientation until late August, so I'll probably quit at the end of July and hopefully travel!

I've been debating this internally for a few months now. Part of me just wants to quit tomorrow and just have a ball until matriculation, then the adult part of me remembers I have bills and people that depend on me and I realize I will only probably be able to quit 2 weeks prior to matriculation. I would say enjoy it while you can if you can.

Reactions: 17 users
I'm planning on quitting as soon as possible when I find a replacement job.

Reactions: 5 users
I quit after my sophomore year to focus on finishing college strong

Must be nice to not have bills and have to provide for others. I will be leaving my job when it's time to start school. Using my vacation days sometime before that though.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm on the same boat. I want to travel but then that's $$

No $$ for travel, but might quit a month or two early to spend time with family/SO. Hopefully once my costly interview season is over, I can save enough to cover expenses for that month(s). I feel guilty, though, because I'm so grateful to have had a job that not only pays me well but has been so flexible with my interview schedule this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Just letting y'all know out there, including and especially you, @Huggy, that you can travel most of the world for very, very little.

As an American, you can fly to the beach in Australia tomorrow, work for $20/h minimum Australian wage as a waiter, and bum around the island for months on end.

If you don't have a family to provide for, you can easily just backpack the world or your favorite continent. Go ahead. Not going to have another chance to do it.

Everything from couchsurfing to hotshowers can be used to get to know new people, see new places, and do so for next-to-no money.

One of the schools I'm waiting to hear back from starts in July. Which means I might only have like 4-5 months left in my current job. I really can't wait to quit

Reactions: 1 user
I plan to quit at the end of April and travel to Europe for a couple months!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely quitting by March 1st at the latest...Mid-Feb would be the responsible date, but might just yolo quit February 1st! Sooooo excited!

I would like to hike the Appalachian Trail, and timing-wise I would need to start early March to have enough time before school starts potentially as early as mid-July depending on where I get in. My top choices don't release decisions until March so I won't even know for sure where I'm going yet when I leave!

Must be nice to not have bills and have to provide for others. I will be leaving my job when it's time to start school. Using my vacation days sometime before that though.
My vacation days pay out, so I'm just counting quitting early as vacation time.

Definitely quitting by March 1st at the latest...Mid-Feb would be the responsible date, but might just yolo quit February 1st! Sooooo excited!

I would like to hike the Appalachian Trail, and timing-wise I would need to start early March to have enough time before school starts potentially as early as mid-July depending on where I get in. My top choices don't release decisions until March so I won't even know for sure where I'm going yet when I leave!
Gurbs, totally hit me up if you're planning on thru-hiking. I did bits and pieces in the Boy Scouts, and hot damn that trail is something.

I quit my job sophomore year of high school. I worked as a dishwasher. I would eat cupcakes on the job, and never paid for one of my cakes :(.

Just letting y'all know out there, including and especially you, @Huggy, that you can travel most of the world for very, very little.

As an American, you can fly to the beach in Australia tomorrow, work for $20/h minimum Australian wage as a waiter, and bum around the island for months on end.

If you don't have a family to provide for, you can easily just backpack the world or your favorite continent. Go ahead. Not going to have another chance to do it.

Everything from couchsurfing to hotshowers can be used to get to know new people, see new places, and do so for next-to-no money.

I'm pretty sure if you work while on a tourist visa ( or if the country doesn't require a visa), you can get arrested and deported. You need sometype of work visa to work in a foreign country.

I quit my job sophomore year of high school. I worked as a dishwasher. I would eat cupcakes on the job, and never paid for one of my cakes :(.

Be sure to mention this on your primary application.

Gurbs, totally hit me up if you're planning on thru-hiking. I did bits and pieces in the Boy Scouts, and hot damn that trail is something.

Hoping to thru-hike it. Whether that's possible is going to depend on what schools I get into... I never took OChem2. My top 2 choice schools don't require it, but mostly don't release decisions until March. Choice 3 requires, 4 does not, 5+6 require it but I bet I can get away with not having it for them. Soooo... Will see what happens.

My work is in an ICU so luckily I enjoy it and will probably keep working till I start school. Earn some money and use it to screw around during my off year. Maybe buy some fun stuff that I can use now as well as once I start med school (nice computer, gadgets, outdoors gear etc.)

I'm pretty sure if you work while on a tourist visa ( or if the country doesn't require a visa), you can get arrested and deported. You need sometype of work visa to work in a foreign country.
#duh

My job houses gap year students so we are all underpaid and overworked. I'm literally counting down the days until May 1st, when I can walk out the clinic doors for the last time. I wish I could leave earlier but need to pay off my interviewing expenses and save some more for my traveling plans.

I really want to quit but salle mae and Navient keep calling me everyday reminding me that I can't.

Reactions: 13 users
That's true. Source: Border Security: Australia's Front Line show on Netflix. They will send you on the first flight back.

I really want to quit but salle mae and Navient keep calling me everyday reminding me that I can't.
Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one. I am the unfortunate soul that didn't read the 'fine print' as a teenager and didn't realize that one of my loans had a max deferment limit of 48 months. Consequently, I will have to find an extra $200/month in the budget during medical school...somewhere...(I may have to teach/tutor at night p/t).

Navient is the epitome of evil. I'm fairly sure that they will be sued by numerous parties in the near future.

Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one. I am the unfortunate soul that didn't read the 'fine print' as a teenager and didn't realize that one of my loans had a max deferment limit of 48 months. Consequently, I will have to find an extra $200/month in the budget during medical school...somewhere...(I may have to teach/tutor at night p/t).

Navient is the epitome of evil. I'm fairly sure that they will be sued by numerous parties in the near future.
Ha ha in the same boat. Paying around 400 a month in student loans. You should get a reduction in payment once the first day of medical school starts(called salle mae and Navient to confirm this). $25 per loan. So I would have to pay around $100 a month while in medical school which isn't bad

Ha ha in the same boat. Paying around 400 a month in student loans. You should get a reduction in payment once the first day of medical school starts. $25 per loam. So I would have to pay around $100 a month while in medical school which isn't bad
Really? That would be great! Thanks for the information, Chelsea! I'm sure that they won't make it easy on me, I will most likely have to cry and grovel....which I'm totally willing to do.

June 1st I'm out. Making too much money to quit now knowing I'm gonna be a little short for a while. Saving my vacation days and using them to spend 2 weeks in Europe while getting paid. Then not leaving the beach for the month and a half before I start. Counting down the days already.

June 1st I'm out. Making too much money to quit now knowing I'm gonna be a little short for a while. Saving my vacation days and using them to spend 2 weeks in Europe while getting paid. Then not leaving the beach for the month and a half before I start. Counting down the days already.
upload_2016-12-14_9-1-41.jpeg

I wish this was my life...

I had planned on trying to start paying off undergrad loans in this gap year before med school, however with rent/bills/other living expenses, I'm realizing the measly amount I'm able to contribute now is not making much of a difference in the long run. Alas I still need to work in order to afford living and such. I'm hoping to quit in June or so, assuming classes start in August. I am getting sooooo antsy already, and would love to spend some time traveling if I can do so on a tiny budget

Could quitting early affect out of admissions? I am working in a lab and had mentioned it in my primary and obviously in the what are your plans for the secondaries and I have noticed that some schools offers of admissions state "keep doing what you're doing..."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'll be leaving my job at the end of June

I'm officially quitting my job June 2nd. Though now that people are mentioning it, I would have so many sick days and vacation days (they are completely different things where I work) left over by then... I wonder if I should "extend" my work for another 2-3 weeks and get paid using my vacation days... Is that even ethical? I feel kinda bad just thinking about it...

I'm officially quitting my job June 2nd. Though now that people are mentioning it, I would have so many sick days and vacation days (they are completely different things where I work) left over by then... I wonder if I should "extend" my work for another 2-3 weeks and get paid using my vacation days... Is that even ethical? I feel kinda bad just thinking about it...

I think sick and vacation days are different things everywhere, by law it is two separate things. It isn't unethical to use your vacation days or to take a pay out if it's available/allowed. Sometimes a pay out of accrued days (especially if you have rollover permitted) is a little less than what would be paid per hour in just taking vacation.

Vacation days usually get paid out regardless. They may be taxed differently.

I'm not sure about your workplace, but that is standard where I work. People take their several weeks of vacation after they've unofficially left , and then come in for their official "last day" at work. HR is very upfront in telling us that is the only way to leave without losing all that saved up PTO (because for some reason they aren't allowed to just pay it out in your last paycheck)

It's called a working holiday visa. I think they're actually quite easy to obtain and they allow you to work and travel in Australia for 1 year (but they cost about $400 to get). New Zealand and some other countries offer them too, depending on your citizenship.

Anyway, I'm planning on quitting somewhere around May/June and then traveling until the end of July! Probably will go to my parents' home country for a bit as well as Europe or Asia.

Good luck getting a work visa as easily as a tourist one.
It is super easy! I got one from NZ; cousin's gotten one from AUS. For US citizens, it's a matter of: go to a doctor, get the thumbs up, and go to Stralia m8.

Sorry if I sounded snarky.

My school will be starting early August and I'm planning on quitting the beginning of April to get my **** together and travel and relax! Can't wait!

It is super easy! I got one from NZ; cousin's gotten one from AUS. For US citizens, it's a matter of: go to a doctor, get the thumbs up, and go to Stralia m8.

For AUS, NZ, you need a atleast 3k in cash and another few hundred for the visa fees. With that much money, I can backpack SE asia or europe for a few months

The work tourist visa would be great if I was going for 5 months plus

Last edited:
... So you're saying I don't have to pay return airfare?

Gonna quit in May or early June. I'll throw a tent, a backpack, and my buddy into my 20 year old car and drive around the coutry camping, hiking, etc. until either my car dies (RIP Sputters) or school starts.

I think sick and vacation days are different things everywhere, by law it is two separate things. It isn't unethical to use your vacation days or to take a pay out if it's available/allowed. Sometimes a pay out of accrued days (especially if you have rollover permitted) is a little less than what would be paid per hour in just taking vacation.

They aren't different things for Senate staffers. I know this from experience, but alas Congress seems to have it's own rules for tons of things.

School starts in early July, so I plan to quit both of my jobs and head out west to camp in Zion as well as Yosemite for several weeks. It's going to be a glorious road trip of smiles knowing that the uncertainty is finally over.

It's called a working holiday visa. I think they're actually quite easy to obtain and they allow you to work and travel in Australia for 1 year (but they cost about $400 to get). New Zealand and some other countries offer them too, depending on your citizenship.

Anyway, I'm planning on quitting somewhere around May/June and then traveling until the end of July! Probably will go to my parents' home country for a bit as well as Europe or Asia.

Wait, for real?? I might have to look into this... I'd love to go to Australia!!

For AUS, NZ, you need a atleast 3k in cash and another few hundred for the visa fees. With that much money, I can backpack SE asia or europe for a few months

The work tourist visa would be great if I was going for 5 months plus

You don't need to pay it to the government; you just have to have that much in your account when you go over to prove you'll be able to buy your way outta there if need be.

I had a screenshot of my bank account balance, and I went...

Status
Not open for further replies.