quit medical school for PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ricklee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I quit medical school as M1 (after a short start), and aiming for PhD program. I want to know how valid it is. The reason for my quit is personal health condition makes me realize that my interest is in decoding human genome rather than practice medicine.
I am relatively strong applicant for PhD otherwise (letter, grades, GRE, pubs, masters etc.).
Any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, heck, that's up to you. It's a perfectly valid move if you're really convinced, for good reasons, that a PhD is more what you're interested in. I nearly started a PhD program and then decided to go into medicine - which I enjoy so much more than research - so I can appreciate how different each path is.

I will just say that the M1 and M2 years at your typical school are not at all a reflection of what clinical medicine is like, however. What was it about medical school that made you decide it wasn't for you? Why did you apply to medical school in the first place?