NHSC Questions: Scholarship and Loan Forgiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted158872

Regarding NHSC scholarship: Can you apply if you go to a provisionally accredited med school?

Regarding NHSC Loan Repayment: Do private loans qualify? The website says, "Only loans provided by Federal, State and local entities, as well as commercial institutions qualify." Do private loans (from Sallie Mae, Wells Fargo or Discover) count?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding NHSC Scholarship, do you get to choose what location (city, state, town...) you want to work in?

1- Yes.

2- Yes. Private loans made by commercial institutions qualify. The sorts of loans that do not qualify would be those provided by foundations (some wealthy families have foundations established that provide loans to family members at reduced interest rates, for instance) or individuals (your grandfather loaning you money for school, for instance).

3- You get to choose what area to work in, but it has to be an area with a high enough need rating. For the scholarship, I believe you need to be in a 14+ rated site. For the repayment program, you can go to any site, but reimbursement is better at 14-26 rated sites:
https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/downloads/lrpataglance.pdf
Sites with HPSA Score of 14-26 Up to $50,000 for two years full time, Up to $25,000 for two years part-time
Sites with HPSA Score of 0–13 Up to $30,000 for two years full time, Up to $15,000 for two years part time

http://nhscjobs.hrsa.gov/external/search/index.seam

The above site will show you where shortage areas exist, and lets you sort by need rating.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do i have to know for sure which school i will attend when i fill out the NHSC application?

Does NHSC Scholarship pays the cost of attendance listed by the school, or tuition + monthly stipends?

Do i have to know for sure which school i will attend when i fill out the NHSC application?

I don't think you have to know which school you will attend, but I'm pretty sure that the NHSC requires that you have been accepted to a school before you can apply.

Does NHSC Scholarship pays the cost of attendance listed by the school, or tuition + monthly stipends?

It pays tuition plus a monthly stipend. There's also a once annual "other related costs" pay-out. This is based on what your school estimates you will pay for books, tools (if dental), a white coat (if needed), etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Once annual = once a year?
Do they pay for Board exams & interview travel costs & residency applications?

Once annual = once a year?
Do they pay for Board exams & interview travel costs & residency applications?

Yes, once annual = once a year.

They pay for board exam registration cost while you are a student. They do not pay for Step 3 (which is traditionally taken after you graduate) or for your specialty board exams (American board of family medicine, American college of physicians, etc.)

They do not pay for interviews, travel costs, or residency applications.

They don't pay for interview? In another thread, I think you or somebody said that if you show them that the site qualifies (score 14 or so) then they'll pay for travel cost?

For example, considering Western COA, does NHSC pay for "transportation" cost?https://www.westernu.edu/financial/financial-budgets/financial-budgets-osteopathy

Also, why do people say thay NHSC doctors don't have to worry about malpractice insurance? When employers tell you your salary (or figures reported on Medscape for example), does that number already subtract malpractice insurance from it?

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't pay for interview? In another thread, I think you or somebody said that if you show them that the site qualifies (score 14 or so) then they'll pay for travel cost?

My apologies, I misunderstood your question.

They will pay for your NHSC site interview costs - hotel, airplane tickets, taxis/rental cars, etc. The NHSC does NOT pay for RESIDENCY interview costs, which can be very expensive.

For example, considering Western COA, does NHSC pay for "transportation" cost?https://www.westernu.edu/financial/financial-budgets/financial-budgets-osteopathy

The NHSC will likely not pay directly for those transportation costs. They will expect you to pay for transportation costs out of your stipend or your annual ORC (Other Related Costs) payment.

Also, why do people say thay NHSC doctors don't have to worry about malpractice insurance? When employers tell you your salary (or figures reported on Medscape for example), does that number already subtract malpractice insurance from it?

The government, essentially, pays your malpractice insurance if you work at an NHSC site. If you are sued while working at an NHSC site, the Department of Defense litigates the claim on your behalf. It's a little more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

(This applies to all physicians who work at an NHSC site, whether or not they are NHSC scholars or loan repayment recipients, by the way. All clinicians working for a Federally Qualified Health Center get the same malpractice protection.)

NHSC told me that PROVISIONALLY accredited schools are NOT qualified....