Questions for physician-scientists in biotech, from an incoming medicine resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rollingstone21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an outgoing 4th year med student in the US, and excited to start my residency for internal medicine this July. Though I know that it's impossible to prepare for intern year, I think it can make a difference knowing what long-term career options are available and which one I'd like to pursue, so that I'll know where to focus my attention starting early.

One possibility is in doing research. I've been exposed to physician-scientists in universities, have read about those in pharmaceutical companies, but haven't come across much info on those in biotech companies. I'd love to learn more, and have a list of questions prepared.

If anyone in the field could provide some insights, that would be amazing and I'd really appreciate it! I'd also love to hear from physician-scientists in other industries, or from fellows in a medicine subspecialty considering a research-focused career. Thanks!

P.S. If you feel that there is another place where more of the relevant people hang out, please let me know so I can post there instead!

1. It seems that a career that includes research generally has a significant reduction in salary compared to that of full time clinicians.

Of course if you like doing research, you can't put a price on that. But I can also imagine that it wouldn't be an easy decision for many residents considering this route, especially for those in major amounts of debt.

Despite all of this, what would you say are the deeper motivating factors that influence physicians to pursue this career path, that most others on the outside might not consider or have trouble understanding?

2. What are the major research focuses for medicine in biotech? For example, in pharm the more sought out specialties include oncology, GI, cards, ID etc. How is it split (percentage-wise within the projects available) between basic, translational, and clinical?

3. What’s something you don't like about your job? Can you please give two examples: one that you were expecting before getting into it, and another that you realized only after becoming more involved?

Which aspect of your career provides you the most fulfillment?

Members don't see this ad.

Come post in the Physician Scientist forum.

I'm not as far as you are (still in the middle of my PhD) but I plan on staying in research once my clinical training is complete and hopefully blur the line between academia and biotech/pharma in oncology (helps that I'm in the lab of a physician scientist who's started two biotech companies).

Status
Not open for further replies.