questions for DO's in ACGME program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inaccensa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a DO doing an ACGME residency in NYC. I have a few questions

- I take the ABIM board since I did the ACGME residency, right? or is it AOBIM. Am I certified by ACGME or AOA.
- Given that we did an ACGME residency in NY, I don't have to get the first year approved by AOA.
- I go ahead to pursue a fellowship ( ex- AOA) do rules change regarding boards ( ie- I have to also take AOA IM boards). The confusion also arises with the merger.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Doing an ACGME residency means you are eligible for ABIM as well as ACGME fellowships (which if you attend and complete, makes you eligible for the ABIM subspecialty boards)

You can do the AOBIM if you want but you must petition the AOA to accept your ACGME IM residency as AOA equivalent (via Resolution 56). Only benefit I can see in doing this is if you want to d an AOA fellowship (e.g., AOA cardiology, AOA GI, etc) but the merger it may be a moot point

NY does not require an AOA-approved intern year. However, in the future, should you wish to practice in a state that requires an AOA intern year (PA, Florida, etc), you will be out of luck unless you pursue Resolution 42 (or the states change their rules/requirements). As of right now, unless you take steps to get AOA approval of Intern Year, there are a few states that you cannot practice/get a license.

Doing an ACGME residency means you are eligible for ABIM as well as ACGME fellowships (which if you attend and complete, makes you eligible for the ABIM subspecialty boards)

You can do the AOBIM if you want but you must petition the AOA to accept your ACGME IM residency as AOA equivalent (via Resolution 56). Only benefit I can see in doing this is if you want to d an AOA fellowship (e.g., AOA cardiology, AOA GI, etc) but the merger it may be a moot point

NY does not require an AOA-approved intern year. However, in the future, should you wish to practice in a state that requires an AOA intern year (PA, Florida, etc), you will be out of luck unless you pursue Resolution 42 (or the states change their rules/requirements). As of right now, unless you take steps to get AOA approval of Intern Year, there are a few states that you cannot practice/get a license.
With the merger and the elimination of osteopathic TRIs, those rules will no doubt no longer apply moving forward, as osteopathic intern years no longer exist post-merger.

Members don't see this ad :)
With the merger and the elimination of osteopathic TRIs, those rules will no doubt no longer apply moving forward, as osteopathic intern years no longer exist post-merger.
Tell that to the florida legislature please