Questions for all pediatric cardiologists/interventional cardiologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saving hearts

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, hope your all doing well.

I'm a medical student, soon to be intern that wants to hear from pediatric interventional cardiologists, preferably females, are you satisfied, would you persue it again ? Or if you happen to know one, how is their lifestyle ? Do they like it ? (And I don't mean money-wise at all).

My last question is, for general pediatric cardiology speciality, does it have to be 6 years ? Or can I speed it up in any way ? Like a fast track or a direct pediatric cardiology program residency.

THANK YOU !!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, hope your all doing well.

I'm a medical student, soon to be intern that wants to hear from pediatric interventional cardiologists, preferably females, are you satisfied, would you persue it again ? Or if you happen to know one, how is their lifestyle ? Do they like it ? (And I don't mean money-wise at all).

My last question is, for general pediatric cardiology speciality, does it have to be 6 years ? Or can I speed it up in any way ? Like a fast track or a direct pediatric cardiology program residency.

THANK YOU !!
Yes. There are fast-tracks into subspecialty programs via research tracks or CSTPs, but that is usually offset by an extra year of research in subspecialty training, so you end up doing 6 years either way. The ABP is pretty strict on making sure residents complete all the clinical skills required to be a board-certified pediatrician and making sure fellows complete required scholarly work.

I don't personally know any female pediatric cardiologists, but I know one who started cardiology fellowship and quit and was now doing ED because of the lifestyle, but her husband had gotten into adult GI fellowship and they just had kids so she decided she needed to be the one to do the lifestyle choice. And I know of another female who was hardcore set on peds cardiology for residency and has since changed her mind because of the lifestyle and time involved. But that is tough to say how applicable they are to your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't personally know any female pediatric cardiologists
I can't tell if you're being genuine or snarky.

I know dozens of pediatric cardiologists that are women.
I do only know one interventionalist, personally, that is a woman, (one of my best friends from residency) but I don't think she's some sort of rare exception.

Perhaps, as a PICU attending, my sample is skewed, but I wouldn't consider pediatric cardiology in general to be a terrible lifestyle. Certainly the cardiac intensivists have a rough go, particularly as it's finding its footing as a field and only able to gradually fill in the available jobs. But I wouldn't say that general cardiology, or imaging, or EP is any worse than say Heme/Onc in terms of lifestyle. Fellowship is harder than most other fields, and there are certainly groups out there that run lean and expect you to work a lot as an attending. Truthfully, I think the greatest burden of extra pressure for pediatric cardiologists is the research component and finding time to make that happen in the midst of a significant clinical load. Even in pediatric programs that as a whole don't have a lot of pressure to publish, you can assume that the cardiology group will have a high research output.

Interventional cardiologists do run the risk of needing to be called in the middle of the night for a emergent balloon septostomy - but that's about the only emergent procedure any more, and they generally aren't the ones getting phone calls in the middle of the night for other reasons - post-procedure kids are usually monitored in the CICU or PICU so the intensivists are doing the monitoring. Imaging attendings will likely be called in as frequently in the middle of the night for intra-op heart transplant TEE's, while their phone call load probably depends on the way they staff things for fellows. EP attendings are likely to take more phone calls but rarely have to come in during the middle of the night, but again, depends on staffing expectations and who is supposed to manage what. Where I did fellowship, we had very vocal EP attendings and so they were more involved and got more phone calls.

In general, I feel that most pediatric cardiologists do enjoy their work - most people who get into the field have known they wanted to do it for a long period of time and have put in a lot of work to make it into that field. Because it is so competitive and because it tends to draw some of the best and brightest, it holds a lot of cachet within the pediatric world. Like many other pediatric specialties, people who are in it, tend to point to a number of things that drew them to the field and kept them there.

I know a female EP. She's at a decent size academic center, but still needs to spend a fair bit of her time doing gen cards to stay busy. Not sure if it's a matter of being early career or just not having sufficient EP volume in the area, but think it's mostly the latter.

There are two female cardiologists in our hospital's group. Neither are interventionalists, but they seem to have a fairly good work-life balance. One of my co-residents just matched into cardiology, and felt a bit awkward with some of the interviews because they asked about work-life balance with a tone implying that she shouldn't expect to have a baby during fellowship, and she was pregnant during her interviews (not visibly so).

I can't tell if you're being genuine or snarky.

I know dozens of pediatric cardiologists that are women.
I do only know one interventionalist, personally, that is a woman, (one of my best friends from residency) but I don't think she's some sort of rare exception.

Perhaps, as a PICU attending, my sample is skewed, but I wouldn't consider pediatric cardiology in general to be a terrible lifestyle. Certainly the cardiac intensivists have a rough go, particularly as it's finding its footing as a field and only able to gradually fill in the available jobs. But I wouldn't say that general cardiology, or imaging, or EP is any worse than say Heme/Onc in terms of lifestyle. Fellowship is harder than most other fields, and there are certainly groups out there that run lean and expect you to work a lot as an attending. Truthfully, I think the greatest burden of extra pressure for pediatric cardiologists is the research component and finding time to make that happen in the midst of a significant clinical load. Even in pediatric programs that as a whole don't have a lot of pressure to publish, you can assume that the cardiology group will have a high research output.

Interventional cardiologists do run the risk of needing to be called in the middle of the night for a emergent balloon septostomy - but that's about the only emergent procedure any more, and they generally aren't the ones getting phone calls in the middle of the night for other reasons - post-procedure kids are usually monitored in the CICU or PICU so the intensivists are doing the monitoring. Imaging attendings will likely be called in as frequently in the middle of the night for intra-op heart transplant TEE's, while their phone call load probably depends on the way they staff things for fellows. EP attendings are likely to take more phone calls but rarely have to come in during the middle of the night, but again, depends on staffing expectations and who is supposed to manage what. Where I did fellowship, we had very vocal EP attendings and so they were more involved and got more phone calls.

In general, I feel that most pediatric cardiologists do enjoy their work - most people who get into the field have known they wanted to do it for a long period of time and have put in a lot of work to make it into that field. Because it is so competitive and because it tends to draw some of the best and brightest, it holds a lot of cachet within the pediatric world. Like many other pediatric specialties, people who are in it, tend to point to a number of things that drew them to the field and kept them there.

As usual, BigRedBeta took the words out of my mouth-- and said them better. More than half of the pediatric cardiology group where I am is female. Lifestyle for peds cards is not much different than other acute care subspecialties. I'm somewhat surprised to hear all the stories of future peds cardiologists who changed paths to another subspecialty based on lifestyle. Perhaps my sample is skewed too. Pregnancy should never be frowned upon, especially in a peds subspecialty.

Reactions: 1 user
My bestfriends mom is a interventional cardiologist, she makes $350,000 a year and still has time to spend with her 3 girls. Her hours aren't crazy and her wage is really good considering the cheap housing here.

There are two female cardiologists in our hospital's group. Neither are interventionalists, but they seem to have a fairly good work-life balance. One of my co-residents just matched into cardiology, and felt a bit awkward with some of the interviews because they asked about work-life balance with a tone implying that she shouldn't expect to have a baby during fellowship, and she was pregnant during her interviews (not visibly so).

Fellows don't have work/life balance so that was a dumb question.;)

MS3 here getting close to MS4. I've read pretty much all the posts on SDN on pediatric interventional cardiology and have done thorough research online. Few websites talk about interventional ped cards, they just roll it up into ped cards which muddies the water. Also most posts on SDN about ped interventional cards are getting outdated.

How has interventional ped cards compensation been lately? I imagine more procedures are doable via cath now so salaries should go up? Or are the salaries the same as general peds cards (200-250k)?

Last edited:
There is very little private practice in pediatric interventional cardiology. Anything academic automatically will drive down the salary. Important thing to note is that EP and interventional jobs are also hard to come by. You might make 60% of an adult interventional cardiologist and you say you'd be 70% as happy. That's an interesting mathematical conundrum for you.

I took a LOT of anesthesia electives in med school and thought about doing pedi anesthesiology where I'd make twice as much as I would in pediatrics but I quickly realized that being half as happy wasn't worth it.

There is very little private practice in pediatric interventional cardiology. Anything academic automatically will drive down the salary. Important thing to note is that EP and interventional jobs are also hard to come by. You might make 60% of an adult interventional cardiologist and you say you'd be 70% as happy. That's an interesting mathematical conundrum for you.

I took a LOT of anesthesia electives in med school and thought about doing pedi anesthesiology where I'd make twice as much as I would in pediatrics but I quickly realized that being half as happy wasn't worth it.

If I make 60% of adult interventional I'd be ecstatic

If I make 60% of adult interventional I'd be ecstatic

60% of adult ACADEMIC cardiologist ;).

In academics, at a rank of assistant professors the median pediatric cardiology salary seems to be actually about 80% of their median salary of assistant professors of adult cardiology (source: AAMC Careers in Medicine).

As far as I know, there is almost no private practice interventional pediatric cardiology? I could be wrong but I haven't really heard of too many people.

Thanks for the great replies. Can you please put some absolte numbers to these percentages? What can one expect to make as an academic peds interventional card vs a private practice non-interventional peds card?

Thanks for the great replies. Can you please put some absolte numbers to these percentages? What can one expect to make as an academic peds interventional card vs a private practice non-interventional peds card?
If you're a medical student you should have access to the careers in medicine website from AAMC. They have numbers for academics as well as private practice for most specialties.

Careers In Medicine

These AAMC numbers seem inconsistent with most other online resources like Doximity

Adult Interven Card - Median 331-391k
Peds Cardiology - Median 335k

Everywhere else the adult interventional guys make mid 400’s and peds general cards make 200-250k

And again AAMC Careers, like other websites, never breaks out Peds Intervetional Card

These AAMC numbers seem inconsistent with most other online resources like Doximity

Adult Interven Card - Median 331-391k
Peds Cardiology - Median 335k

Everywhere else the adult interventional guys make mid 400’s and peds general cards make 200-250k

And again AAMC Careers, like other websites, never breaks out Peds Intervetional Card

Because the n is too low for pedi interventional cards. And since it academic, there are other factors involved.