Questions about the Speech language pathology career.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Not planning a career in Speech and language as I am in the Medical field, however I am wondering if some of you guys can give me information about the SLP profession because I know people in my life planning to enter the field.

On the east coast, mainly NYC, how is the demand for SLP? I hear its pretty good, especially in stroke units, general medicine units, and in schools for children with speech issues.

How is the salary? I hear its around 70k with some upward mobility to about 80-90k? Of course higher if your in administration and a director, etc.

But can you really make a lot in SLP like in a private practice or if you work hard??

Also, how is the field for someone suffering with medical issues, like someone suffering from gait and mobility issues due to Multiple sclerosis. Is SLP hard for someone who has difficulties moving, adjusting to extreme temps, needs someone to care for him or her?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Salary varies by state and setting. I made 60K my first year and up to 80K working my full time job plus a PRN position. Reimbursements are getting cut widely though and now you have to work more to earn the same. I'm wary of private practice at this stage in my career and in my current state given recent rate cuts and possible caps. I have a feeling the real money is in creating and selling your own treatment tools and knowledge.