Questions About Research in DR/IR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananasewq

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Happy Spring and Spring Break if you're on it. I am an M1, and I want to get involved in DR or IR research at my school. I'm not sure exactly who to contact or where to start. I have done a large amount of bench research in undergrad, and this summer I'll be doing research in anesthesia/pain management.

First off, what kind of research does DR/IR entail? What are opportunities for clinical research? Is it more chart review stuff or is the research more engineering/science based?

To get involved, should I just cold contact DR/IR physicians at hospitals around my school? My school does not have a DR/IR residency or fellowship, but there are hospitals and physicians in the area who do IR procedures. Is my best bet getting in contact with them?

Thanks again! Appreciate any help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Cold emailing radiologists is probably the last option.

If your school offers a radiology elective, find out which rad runs it and contact that person. Ask him or her for advice on who would be best to contact.

If your school has neither a rad residency nor an elective, you're sort of up a creek. Cold emailing is probably your only option, but if you have no residency at your program, you're probably dealing with private practice DRs or IRs… contacting them about research is basically zero yield. It might make more sense (although still low yield) to find an academic center nearby and cold email them about doing some research at a distance, or doing a rotation with them and doing some research while you're there.

More than likely you will be involved in chart review to begin with.

I would probably recommend finding out if there is a rad interest group at your school. Going to that, puts you in contact with attendings and residents.