Questions about PTCAS-AP credit, hospital volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpt12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on PTCAS right now and I'm not sure what session to put my AP credit under. I'm thinking maybe Fall 2008 because that was my first semester of college? Does anyone have a better idea?

Also, I did most of my observation hours volunteering at a hospital, not directly with a licensed PT, what should I put under PT name on the hour verification form?

Thank you in advance for your help, I have not been able to find this information anywhere else!

Members don't see this ad.

Idk about the PT name for the observation. Did you ever meet with a PT at the hospital when you initially set up your volunteer hours there? If so, I would put that PT's name.

For the AP classes, I listed mine with my first semester of classes in college. On the class input page, you should be able to select "Special Classification" and "Advanced Placement".

Hope this helps!

Find a PT at the hospital who is willing to vouch for your hours...they won't accept anything else (such as OT, ST, or PTA). Unless you didn't shadow a PT at all...then you may have another problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the PT observation hours form is for the observation hours for direct PT observation.

So if you did volunteer work for...say a homeless shelter, or a food bank, you will just have to leave it unverified. get what im saying?

Thanks for the help on the AP thing!
My volunteer hours were in a PT unit, but not always directly working with a PT (sometimes restocking supplies or just bringing patients water etc.) the volunteer office said they will verify my hours, but I still don't know what to put in that "name" section...also a lot of schools say they accept volunteer experience, so I'm hoping there's a way to do this? If not, how did everyone get all of their hours? I've shadowed three different PTs, but each could only let me do it for 8 hours because of privacy regulations or something.

Thanks for the help on the AP thing!
My volunteer hours were in a PT unit, but not always directly working with a PT (sometimes restocking supplies or just bringing patients water etc.) the volunteer office said they will verify my hours, but I still don't know what to put in that "name" section...also a lot of schools say they accept volunteer experience, so I'm hoping there's a way to do this? If not, how did everyone get all of their hours? I've shadowed three different PTs, but each could only let me do it for 8 hours because of privacy regulations or something.

Call the volunteer office and ask them for the name of the PT to put in the "name" section.

I got my hours as a PT aide at an orthopedic outpatient clinic and inpatient hours at the local hospital here.