questions about podiatry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody...I'm applying to pod schools this next cycle and I'm wondering some things. I know for most schools the first 2 years are spent in classes while the last two are in clinics and hospitals along with board exams. For those last two years what are we actually studying for besides boards? Are there any tests or do we just study the cases??

How is it in terms of time for pod school? Would it be feasible to not study during the weekend (unless exam week of course)?

Also wondering about residency..are they as brutal as md/do residencies where people work 80-100 hour weeks? I'm sure it depends but any insight would help

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody...I'm applying to pod schools this next cycle and I'm wondering some things. I know for most schools the first 2 years are spent in classes while the last two are in clinics and hospitals along with board exams. For those last two years what are we actually studying for besides boards? Are there any tests or do we just study the cases??

How is it in terms of time for pod school? Would it be feasible to not study during the weekend (unless exam week of course)?

Also wondering about residency..are they as brutal as md/do residencies where people work 80-100 hour weeks? I'm sure it depends but any insight would help

At least at KSUCPM, third years do take some classes in addition to clinic. They are entirely clinical in nature IIRC.

Residency for Podiatry will depend on where you go, but the decent programs will work you as hard as the MD / DO residents.

In terms of time, it depends on how you want to do. I'd advise not figuring out the bare minimum needed to study from the get-go - it might lead you into trouble. You'll be really busy, no doubt - how busy will depend on your goals and ability to learn things quickly.

Reactions: 1 user

3rd year 1st (Fall) semester at TUSPM there are classes in the morning and clinic in the late morning/afternoon. These classes are currently clinical neurology, community health, law and podiatric medicine, pediatric foot and ankle orthopedics, principles of 1st ray surgery, principles of reconstructive surgery of the foot and leg, professional administration and development, and traumatology. Most of these classes are relatively short in duration, probably within the range of a few weeks each. During this semester there are normal exams for these classes as well as a certain patient load and rotations within the TUSPM clinic and affiliated clinics to keep up with. Beginning 3rd year 2nd (Spring) semester it is all clinic all the time.

Every school has different exam schedules, but at TUSPM there are some weeks with no quizzes/exams, some weeks with one quiz/exam, and some weeks with multiple quizzes/exams. There are some weeks and weekends that a student could feasibly take a good amount of time off and some weeks and weekends where it will seem like every waking hour is spent studying. It varies but there is always time during each semester to relax or spend on hobbies or fly home et cetera.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At Barry, third years have classes Monday and Tuesday, rest of the week we are in clinic. We have exams for these classes.

Fourth years have clerkships from May to November. These months there are no school classes, no exams. In October, you take part A of Boards II. December is a vacation month, but if you want to do another externship you can. In January, you take part B of boards II. Also, residency interviews are in January. You come back to school in February, start clinics and classes.

You might have a weekend off from studying, but don’t expect it and use your time wisely. Just because you don’t have an exam that week doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be studying.

It depends on the program in terms of how “hard” a residency is. Do some residents work upto 100 hours? Absolutely.

For those last two years what are we actually studying for besides boards? Are there any tests or do we just study the cases??
For your 3rd year you won't be doing too much studying except towards the end of your 3rd year where you start preparing for your externships. Some students study to be prepared for their non-podiatry rotations. During your 4th year ideally you should be studying so you shine on your externships and for interviews during CRIP.

The amount of free time you will have is based not the person. Some studying every weekend and others don't.

This also depends on which residency you go to.