Questions about PMR residency as a DO.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, did post some questions before but have some additional questions.

Is there anything I should do as a DO student when preparing for my applications for PMR programs..??
Like asides from the obvious PMR elective rotations, personal statement, LOR from PMR doctors I rotated with anything else?
Do I need very high COMPLEX/USMLE scores and high medical school grades??

Generally they say PMR is the most DO friendly residency but what does that mean? Does that mean it is easier to get into than Family med, internal med, psych, etc?

Also, just wondering if its true the average salary for PMR doctors starting out are 190k? Also I hear the demand is pretty good but wondering what you all in the field think.

Anything else I should know before planning a career in PMR?
I do know its a field where you have more of a stronger interaction with your patients since your more focused on improving their independence and mobility after certain events.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

One thing a PM&R doc told me was to reach out to programs and email them. Trying to find out specifics about their program and at the same time show your interest in PM&R.

I totally agree with the statement the PM&R is a DO friendly field. You can look at the NRMP PD survey and see that nearly every program interviews and ranks DOs. You won't find this with any other field except FM.

Not sure about the salary, will leave that to the residents and attending. The doc I shadowed said she was offered a 150k salary for an academic position at the place she trained, but she didn't take it (she said the offer was too low for her). Just an n=1 example. But for private practice and non-academics jobs it should be higher than 200k for starting.

Last edited: