Question on inferencing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych_hopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

So one of the problems I've been having is this whole deal of making inferences. For example, some questions in UWorld Question bank have things I've never seen before and I feel like I'm supposed to make a good guess.

One that comes to mind is a baby with carries at end of the first year of life and you are supposed to ask whether he goes to sleep with a bottle at night. Things like these, I have no idea how to derive on my own. =/

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDN,

So one of the problems I've been having is this whole deal of making inferences. For example, some questions in UWorld Question bank have things I've never seen before and I feel like I'm supposed to make a good guess.

One that comes to mind is a baby with carries at end of the first year of life and you are supposed to ask whether he goes to sleep with a bottle at night. Things like these, I have no idea how to derive on my own. =/

I would say keep practicing.

That question was easy for me- if you've ever been to a dentist's office they always have a book in the waiting room telling you not to give kids soda or juice in bottles and they show pictures of horrible cavities from doing that.

Anything having to do with testicles or STDs, on the other hand, I totally fail. I have been known to shout HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT at my computer screen a few dozen times while studying, lol.

But now you know about the baby cavities! Just keep practicing- you'll get it :) :) :)

I would say keep practicing.

That question was easy for me- if you've ever been to a dentist's office they always have a book in the waiting room telling you not to give kids soda or juice in bottles and they show pictures of horrible cavities from doing that.

Anything having to do with testicles or STDs, on the other hand, I totally fail. I have been known to shout HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT at my computer screen a few dozen times while studying, lol.

But now you know about the baby cavities! Just keep practicing- you'll get it :) :) :)

I'm just annoyed as a Peds resident because of all the "obvious" adult stuff asked that I haven't seen since 3rd year of medical school (if I saw it at all).