question for walmart pharmacist..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got hired as a floating pharmacist at Walmart and I had a question about calling in sick..

If you call in sick, do those hours go towards your PTO?

Also, how much information do you have to give the market director when you call in sick? (for example, do you have to say "I have the stomach flu" or "i have food poisoning" or can you just say "I won't be able to come into work today")

And if you're child is sick and you have to stay home with them do you tell them that your kid is sick or do you just say "I won't be able to come into work today"

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you ask him or her yourself? Everyone has his own policy that isn't official policy

You call the scheduler for your district with as much notice as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, with most jobs, if you tell your supervisor that you can't come in because your child is sick, you may get an excused absence for the day, but you won't get sick pay, because you weren't sick.

And FYI, posted since I recently had a coworker who didn't know this, if you do call in sick, don't run around town with your phone app that posts your location on your Facebook page.

In addition, I didn't know this at first, but at Walmart, there is a 1-800 number to call when you are going to call in to make things official. Then a phone-call to the pharmacy/supervisor is a courtesy call.

I have sadly never called in sick one time since working as a pharmacist for 12 years. I have never missed a day of school either. I just do not get sick for some reason. Must be nice to make excuses to skip work.

o_O
I have sadly never called in sick one time since working as a pharmacist for 12 years. I have never missed a day of school either. I just do not get sick for some reason. Must be nice to make excuses to skip work.
Must be nice to be pompous and sanctimonious.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been with Walmart for a few years and would also like to express my pompous and sanctimonious of not having ever called in. It's a crazy thing, but I have found that techs call in 1000x times more than pharmacists and get sick a trillion times more. Someone should look into this.

I've been with Walmart for a few years and would also like to express my pompous and sanctimonious of not having ever called in. It's a crazy thing, but I have found that techs call in 1000x times more than pharmacists and get sick a trillion times more. Someone should look into this.

Wow the entry level workers call out more than the highly paid professionals? Crazy!

Reactions: 3 users

Has something to do with paychecks I think

Everyone company has their own rules. And when they hired you told everything about the company law.

They didn't really go into the specifics about the sick policy or at least I don't remember them saying much about it and they seem to get annoyed when I ask questions so I thought I check here cause I thought it was a company wide policy.

I have a couple more questions if some people don't mind giving their input..

I assume it is better to call in as early as possible, but what if you have an opening shift and wake up feeling like crap and realize you aren't able to work, and you can only give a couple hour notice?

Surprisingly, I have had quite a few calls to see if I can cover a shift cause pharmacist call in sick.

thank you in advance :)

And then the one day the pharmacist calls in sick, all techs seem to have an opinion. Sounds like Walmart. Techs TELL youthey're going to their boyfriend's aunt's cousin's funeral. They don't ask you...

They didn't really go into the specifics about the sick policy or at least I don't remember them saying much about it and they seem to get annoyed when I ask questions so I thought I check here cause I thought it was a company wide policy.

I have a couple more questions if some people don't mind giving their input..

I assume it is better to call in as early as possible, but what if you have an opening shift and wake up feeling like crap and realize you aren't able to work, and you can only give a couple hour notice?

Surprisingly, I have had quite a few calls to see if I can cover a shift cause pharmacist call in sick.

thank you in advance :)

If like you said, you fee like crap, well, you feel like crap. Always ask yourself if you're able to safely verify prescriptions, counsel, make sure your technicians are productive (at Walmart lol), etc etc. If you aren't able to safely verify prescriptions because you're dizzy and can't think straight, then call in sick. If you don't, then someone around you will do it for you and pull the "fitness to safely take care of patients" clause on you.