Question for MHA applicants this year..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmae1126

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking into graduate school programs for Masters of Health Administration. I graduated recently with a 3.4/3.9 Cumulative/Major GPA in Health Science. I am taking the GRE in three weeks. I am currently taking a gap year working as an AmeriCorps Health Fellow working in the Process Improvement Department of my assigned clinic.

I understand that many applicants have some sort of a business background when applying to Masters of Health Administration, but the only class I took is statistics (which I got an A in).

Since I haven't taken all the "prerequisites" for MHA programs, my question is can I apply for MHA programs this year for Fall 2018, while taking Accounting and Economics in the Winter and Spring semesters of next year?
Or should I just take the prerequisites first and wait until next year to apply for Fall 2019?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am looking into graduate school programs for Masters of Health Administration. I graduated recently with a 3.4/3.9 Cumulative/Major GPA in Health Science. I am taking the GRE in three weeks. I am currently taking a gap year working as an AmeriCorps Health Fellow working in the Process Improvement Department of my assigned clinic.

I understand that many applicants have some sort of a business background when applying to Masters of Health Administration, but the only class I took is statistics (which I got an A in).

Since I haven't taken all the "prerequisites" for MHA programs, my question is can I apply for MHA programs this year for Fall 2018, while taking Accounting and Economics in the Winter and Spring semesters of next year?
Or should I just take the prerequisites first and wait until next year to apply for Fall 2019?

You should be good to apply this cycle. Though they may prefer accounting, economics, and statistics courses, many schools don't have them as a requirement. I called some schools that do prerequisite requirements and they said that as long as the classes are taken before matriculation, its fine. So taking accounting and Econ in the winter and spring semesters would be fine since you wouldn't be matriculating until Fall 2018.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

Echoing joshua22897! Definitely agree, you should be fine. Many schools have those classes as a recommended prereq, there are few programs (to my knowledge) that require applicants to have taken those classes.