Question books for Pgy1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeratinPearls

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting pgy1 this year. Suggestions for question books that will help me prepare for the Rise exam and for boards down the road?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to prepare for the RISE. It's good to just take it during the course of your training without extra studying, that way you can see how you are doing without "extra" studying. If you want easier points on the RISE, though, go through a bunch of cytology and forensics pics. There are cytology review books, like maybe this one. Or, you can find the online case presentations like at Pittsburgh or JHU.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt I had 2% of Robbins memorized prior to starting residency...go on vacation...don't think about path for the next 3 months because for the next 4 years you'll think about nothing else.

Having said that, both Sternberg (my favorite surg path text...highly readable) and Henry (impenetrable; 2-point font; but pretty much THE CP reference) have companion question books that some people find useful. Wait until residency starts though, because you'll likely get a book fund and these books aren't cheap.

First year is not the time for question-based studying. You will have no basis for answering them and are unlikely to benefit from them. It's not the time to attempt to study for boards or the RISE. You have to build a base first.

Most of your reading will be in small chunks, centered around your cases - basic diagnostic criteria for common diseases, distinguishing normal from abnormal, basic differential diagnoses. Mostly you will learn by doing, and making lots of mistakes, at least at first. Sitting down and reading a chapter is probably not going to happen at busier programs so you will need to look things up on the fly as you go.

And trying to read chapters now is definitely not going to help you. There is really nothing you can do to prepare. This stuff won't sink in until you actually do it. So for now, you're off the hook.

If you feel the need to buy books during your first year, get Differential Diagnosis in Surgical Pathology, Robbins, and either Rosai or Sternberg.

First year is not the time for question-based studying. You will have no basis for answering them and are unlikely to benefit from them. It's not the time to attempt to study for boards or the RISE. You have to build a base first.

Most of your reading will be in small chunks, centered around your cases - basic diagnostic criteria for common diseases, distinguishing normal from abnormal, basic differential diagnoses. Mostly you will learn by doing, and making lots of mistakes, at least at first. Sitting down and reading a chapter is probably not going to happen at busier programs so you will need to look things up on the fly as you go.

And trying to read chapters now is definitely not going to help you. There is really nothing you can do to prepare. This stuff won't sink in until you actually do it. So for now, you're off the hook.

If you feel the need to buy books during your first year, get Differential Diagnosis in Surgical Pathology, Robbins, and either Rosai or Sternberg.
I felt the same way during my first year of residency. Reading was of minimal value - "in one ear out the other". Reading does more for me now after establishing my baseline fund of knowledge as you stated.

I got my hands on the path osler mp3 cd. Will it be beneficial at all to go through it before the residency begins in JUly.

I got my hands on the path osler mp3 cd. Will it be beneficial at all to go through it before the residency begins in JUly.

No you will most likely not pick up much...
Those are designed as a board review for pathology residents...

I mean of course you could pick up some things...
But is it kind of like a MS-I reading USLME II-III review material...