question abt pgy1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drssr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guyz! i understand that a lot of neuro programs do not offer a pgy1 program and that we will have to apply for that through the nrmp match.my question is-
1.do we apply to categorical IM or prelim programs for a pgy1.do categorical programs need to be told that we are applying for a pgy2 in neuro.
2.if i wish to apply for neuro with my pgy1 starting in june of 2006,can i register for the sf match now or will i have to register only in may this year?
plz help!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

1.you would apply for prelim spots only.

2.huh? im confused. what happens in May? i think it would be a bit early to apply to sf match now, if you are looking for a spot as a pgy2 in 2007, you can just apply next fall.

someone correct me if im wrong.

1. you will have to apply for a prelim year only. infact, you could even do with a transitional year.
2. registration for sfmatch begins in may. you could wait until late in the fall to register and apply, but from my experience, early applications help.

also, most neurology spots in a program are up for grabs in the year preceeding the start date. i mean that a program would offer a 2007 pgy2 spot to all applicants in fall 2005 and try its hardest that every spot gets signed on. if it fails to match applicants for all its spots, then the spot would stay open until mid 2007 (and would most probably be filled in fall 2006).

hence, you would have to apply in 2005 for your neurology spots, and i would recomend that you register and apply as early as you can (may '05 and aug '05 prefferably).

the sfmatch website is friendly and simple to follow. try and sim through the "timeline" and the "steps to the match" sections. www.sfmatch.org .

[hey scm and neurokid! thanks a lot for that.the advice really helped!i really aprecitiate the fact that you guys replied so soon.thanks again!1 :)