Question about starting urology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigdogrob4284

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about Urology residency programs... I am a third year MD student thinking of going into urology.

I was looking on an article on the American Urological Association webpage and it states...

"The training requirement before a resident enters a urology training program is usually one or two years of residency, preferably in general surgery."

https://www.auanet.org/education/urology-and-specialty-matches.cfm

Is this correct? I thought most people start a 5 year urology residency program right after completing medical school? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The gen surg intern year is built into the urology residency. So, at a five year program, for instance, you'll have PGY-1 be a general surgery intern year, with PGY-2 through PGY-5 being four years of categorical urology.

You don't have to apply separately for this gen surg intern year; once you match at a categorical uro spot, you are automatically given an gen surg intern spot at that institution.