Question About Starting Own Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RookTookIt

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were about to start residency and had a goal of starting your own practice in the future, how would you best put yourself in that position? Prior to medical school I worked as a manager in a private practice and I understand the basic pros and cons of owning your own practice, though I do understand that it is becoming more and more difficult for this generation of ophthalmologists.

I am fortunate to have a partner who shares this goal and would like to contribute in whatever way makes the most sense. He is not in medicine, but has a science background. While I am in residency he will have the opportunity to potentially learn a skill that would help us with starting a future practice. Possible options are to: work as an ophthalmic technician in a private practice, get an MBA, or become an optometrist.

For people who own their own practice, do you think having my partner train in any of the above is a good use of time? Is there anything else that may be useful to learn to start our future business? And aside from whatever skills he may be able to learn in the next 4 years, what can I do during residency that will help me with my goal of owning a practice in the future?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.