Question about research from undergrad being published while enrolled in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted702880

Hey there, entering M1 here with a question about previous research. My old undergrad lab will have a paper out in the next few months with me as a contributing author (albeit with a something like 12th authorship). I already had another paper published from the same lab and the only reason I wasn't able to put this paper on my MD apps was because of revisions. However, since things ended up like this anyway, would I be able to put this on my CV later on when I'm applying to residencies? I'll probably end up omitting it when the time comes anyway but I was just wondering what you guys would do. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, congrats on the pub! Since the research resulted in publication, put it on your CV and on future residency applications. Even though it was from undergrad, and even though you weren't first author.

My only word of caution would be regarding putting it on your residency application: anything on your application can be asked about. So be prepared to explain the research and your role in it.

Reactions: 1 user
A publication is a noteworthy event, no matter what time of your life/career it happens.

Your question is better asked: will a publication resulting from work I did prior to med school impress residencies? For that, we need to turn to our wise residents and PDs.

Hey there, entering M1 here with a question about previous research. My old undergrad lab will have a paper out in the next few months with me as a contributing author (albeit with a something like 12th authorship). I already had another paper published from the same lab and the only reason I wasn't able to put this paper on my MD apps was because of revisions. However, since things ended up like this anyway, would I be able to put this on my CV later on when I'm applying to residencies? I'll probably end up omitting it when the time comes anyway but I was just wondering what you guys would do. Thanks!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can always put a publication on your CV, but as has been mentioned already, be prepared to talk about it if asked.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the advice! I was afraid it would be the same kind of stuff in MD apps where you shouldn't put on most of the stuff you did before college but it's nice to know that I still have the option. I'll be sure to ask my advisers if they feel like it's worth including or not. The papers are related to each other and are mostly about basic sciences but they were published in pretty good journals so hopefully I can still use them down the line.

I'm actually curious about this too, I've got a paper that was recently accepted, so won't be out until maybe December of M1. It's in a field I have literally no interest in going into though.

Any more experienced med students/PDs have insight on if this would help?

You should without a doubt mention any academic publications no matter what field or when they were...unless you've got so many that it makes your CV ridiculous and you only want to list "selected publications." PDs will like seeing that you have had a longstanding interest in academic research at multiple levels.

The oldest publication on my CV is from undergrad. It is medical, but in an entirely different field. I have been out in practice for quite some time now.

However, as others have mentioned, make sure you can talk intelligently about any papers on your CV when interview time rolls around. I interview med students for residency every year and anything on the CV is fair game.

"So Knife, I see you published this paper on the cure for cancer back in 2016, what was your role in the project?"

:prof:"I was in charge of scrubbing all the test tubes before the post-doc came in every morning!"

Reactions: 1 user
Reviving this thread!

How much do competitive residencies care about a first author publication that has nothing to do with human medicine and the field of interest? I'm in the process of hopefully publishing some college research and was curious if residencies would care at all or be impressed by a random first author pub in a non medical journal. Obviously it won't hurt, but I don't know how much it would help, if at all.