Question about osteopathic programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjs010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a DO student and am wondering about the DO dermatology programs. If by 2020 a program is not up to snuff and closes, what happens to the residents in that program? Is there a guarantee from the gov. that we can be turfed to other programs since that slot is already paid for, or is there a possibility that some residents will be able to switch to other programs and some won't simply because there aren't enough resources in those existing programs that made the cut? I'm trying to get an idea on which ones will make it because I'm in the situation where I will either apply DO derm or decide to go ACGME for IM. If 2 programs make the cut and the rest get shutdown, it would make more sense to me to go ACGME instead of going into an osteopathic TRI year( especially when I have no desire for OB or surgery). But obviously I can't email or contact program directors and ask them if their program is gonna close; seems like they would all say of course not. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I will help you out on this... There is NO guarantee that you will be placed into another derm program. Last time I checked, there are only 5 DO Derm Programs achieving Initial ACGME accreditation. For all intended purposes, these are considered MD Programs now because they will be accepting MD residents as well.

There are also a number of current DO Programs that will be closing. It is estimated that 10-15 programs are not going to continue. That leaves about 10-12 program continuing with ACMGE applications that you can apply to right now. If the program failed to achieve ACGME, then you will have to find another ACGME program that will accept your transfer.

It is possible that AOA may continue accrediting the program just to finish out the residents. However, it is not stated in their website that they will do so.

Wow.. As soon as I posted my post.. I got this email!

"
No Resident Left Behind is Goal of New Agreement

The AOA, ACGME and AACOM are committed to protecting residents during the transition to the single graduate medical education (GME) accreditation system. The terms of the single accreditation system require that the AOA no longer accredit GME programs after June 30, 2020. The three organizations recognize there may be unique circumstances whereby some programs make a good faith effort to achieve ACGME accreditation but still haven’t transitioned successfully to ACGME accreditation by that date. An agreement reached by the three organizations this week seeks to protect residents in such programs or situations so they have the ability to complete AOA-accredited training and advance to AOA board eligibility. The agreement will give the AOA restricted authority to extend the AOA accreditation date to allow any remaining resident in such programs to complete training in an accredited program. Please direct questions related to this agreement to [email protected]."

I guess here is your guarantee!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow.. As soon as I posted my post.. I got this email!

"
No Resident Left Behind is Goal of New Agreement

The AOA, ACGME and AACOM are committed to protecting residents during the transition to the single graduate medical education (GME) accreditation system. The terms of the single accreditation system require that the AOA no longer accredit GME programs after June 30, 2020. The three organizations recognize there may be unique circumstances whereby some programs make a good faith effort to achieve ACGME accreditation but still haven’t transitioned successfully to ACGME accreditation by that date. An agreement reached by the three organizations this week seeks to protect residents in such programs or situations so they have the ability to complete AOA-accredited training and advance to AOA board eligibility. The agreement will give the AOA restricted authority to extend the AOA accreditation date to allow any remaining resident in such programs to complete training in an accredited program. Please direct questions related to this agreement to [email protected]."

I guess here is your guarantee!

I hope by "accredited" program , they do mean a derm program and not some FM program in rural Wyoming. Btw thank you for the info! That relieves some pressure

So that leads to my next q. Do i shoot myself in the foot if I also really like medicine and maybe want to keep fellowship opportunities at ACGME IM programs? By going osteopathic intern, would I decrease these chances? Because correct me if I'm wrong, but if I fail to get into a derm program, I can't just walk right into a 2nd year ACGME IM spot, is that right? Essentially I would have to reapply to do another intern year in a categorical IM program and do it all over again. Decisions decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There are not a lot of osteopathic internship programs left. Especially if you are applying to osteopathic derm programs, the traditional osteopathic internship requirement is not going to be strictly enforced because of the ACGME mergers going on. That was one of the questions posted by an AOBD residency program director to the AOA after his program achieved Initial Accreditation. There is a lot of confusion about this.

With that said, prelim IM will work as TRI as you can always apply for resolution 42 if you need to. To be on the safe side, you can do 1st year IM from a DO program that has achieved Initial Accreditation. This way your PGY-1 year will be good for both continuing IM or for DO Derm

There are not a lot of osteopathic internship programs left. Especially if you are applying to osteopathic derm programs, the traditional osteopathic internship requirement is not going to be strictly enforced because of the ACGME mergers going on. That was one of the questions posted by an AOBD residency program director to the AOA after his program achieved Initial Accreditation. There is a lot of confusion about this.

With that said, prelim IM will work as TRI as you can always apply for resolution 42 if you need to. To be on the safe side, you can do 1st year IM from a DO program that has achieved Initial Accreditation. This way your PGY-1 year will be good for both continuing IM or for DO Derm

That does sounds like the best option. So I would have to break contract if I got into derm? Would my IM people be plotting to kill me? Now only if I could do ACGME IM prelim and have it count. Then I could really have my cake and eat it too

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I believe that the AOA has told DO derm programs they can not accept new residents starting in 2018 if they have not achieved ACGME accreditation. This is to prevent programs from closing in 2020 with residents still training. As for the pgy-1 year question, I agree you should consider doing an internal medicine preliminary year. Many IM programs can and will "absorb" prelims that did not match into the specialty of their choice and allow them to become categorical medicine residents.

This is inaccurate. DO derm programs may accept new residents as long as it enters the Pre-accreditation status prior to December 31, 2017. To achieve Pre-accreditation, you will only have to submit the application.

So in theory, a DO Derm program can submit the application this year and continue to accept resident until December 31, 2019 and AOA will have to finish up the resident in 2022 based on the "No resident left behind"