Question about medical careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sukata34

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello are there any top schools that have really high acceptance rates for medical careers other than traditional medical school(MD/DO)

Members don't see this ad.

Podiatry is pretty good depending on your mcat and gpa. I'm actually looking at that as another option since they make a decent paycheck and have pretty good hours/job security. To be honest though, I really like orthopedic/surgery, so podiatry is a natural option for me.

Honestly my podiatrist loves his job and recommended it as long as you dont have a foot phobia

(I wouldnt say they have high acceptance rates, but they dont have the huge flood of applicants that md/do schools usually have)

Reactions: 1 users
Podiatry is pretty good depending on your mcat and gpa. I'm actually looking at that as another option since they make a decent paycheck and have pretty good hours/job security. To be honest though, I really like orthopedic/surgery, so podiatry is a natural option for me.

Honestly my podiatrist loves his job and recommended it as long as you dont have a foot phobia

(I wouldnt say they have high acceptance rates, but they dont have the huge flood of applicants that md/do schools usually have)

Are there any top schools you have in mind?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pod is one. Acceptance rates aren't high but higher than MD/DO. Pharm is also another with higher acceptance, although I hear that market is pretty saturated right now. PA could be an option too if you're still looking to go down the "medical model" of training.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are there any pharmacy positions that get involved with patients directly?

Aren't there like 8 podiatry schools in the whole country?

Reactions: 1 user
Aren't there like 8 podiatry schools in the whole country?

9 I think. But pod really isn't competitive, there are only like 1000 applicants every year and 600 spots or so. I personally think it is a hidden gem of a career that is never talked about, especially for borderline medical school candidates that can't seem to get a DO acceptance. Good pay, get be a surgeon, ortho stuff, good hours. I really don't know why it isn't more popular, I guess everyone just really hates feet.

You could consider optometry also!

I agree with AnatomyGrey12 100%

If you're even moderately competitive for DO school, you'll be fine in the podiatry admissions.
I think the average podiatry applicant has around a 3.3gpa and MCATs ranging from 497-500. So if you're above that, you're gonna have a good time.

Honestly Podiatry is great and I have no idea why more people aren't looking into it

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, genetic counseling. Probably gonna be huge in the next ten years. Requirements arent as stringent as DO

There is no such thing as a "top" podiatry school. You literally go to any and do the best you can to go to the best residency possible.