Question about leaving a practice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyemd12345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am one year out of residency and went to a somewhat rural area in the southwest. The practice is great, I just absolutely hate where I live. I thought it was going to be much different, but as it turns out, I was wrong. I have a two year contract, my question is, should I start looking for new jobs after or before I resign. My instinct tells me to find a job before I quit, but it is also somewhat shady to be looking around at jobs when your employer doesn't know you are planning on quitting. I can opt out of my two year contract if I give them 60 days notice. Any more advice on this situation? I would love to leave as soon as possible if I found the right job, but I'm not in a hurry to quit, the $ is great and I enjoy the work, but I am looking forward to relocating. Any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This issue pops up now and again. You aren't alone. Tough situation but also an opportunity. Ophthalmology is a small world and I've learned to avoid burn bridges. One of the associates in our group left about 3 years ago and he had a very similar reason as you. We are in the southeast and his wife was from the Pacific Northwest. Just wasn't working for them. He told us that, flat out. We actually helped him find his next job! I would recommend the honest approach. You are happy with the practice, but unfortunately not the location. Appreciate the opportunity but you will be leaving once the contract expires, perhaps sooner if the right opportunity presents itself, and start looking now. That's very fair and sets you up as the good guy. Win win. The alternative would be to hide and snoop and that never works out. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
I would say give notice if you intend to leave town. No reason to burn bridges, give it full effort till the last day and give them time to find a replacement.